Smoothes air flow. HUGE improvement for dust collection on smaller machines.

Review by dbhost posted 12-15-2009 11:48 PM 2713 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Smoothes air flow. HUGE improvement for dust collection on smaller machines. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

To be blunt, I have never been truly happy with the dust collection on my Ryobi AP1301 13” planer. I mean it works and all, but it’s never worked well. Pulling from a shop vac fitted with a separator and a LOT of hose, I have always felt that the ribbed hose robbed me of too much air flow to be truly effective…

I have used the square edge DC fittings the ones that step down at an almost 90 degree angle like the ones I got from Rockler, and was never pleased with the results.

This past weekend, I was in the Woodcraft Southeast Houston location picking up some Walnut from the cross clock project for my wife, and happened to have a coupon… The 2 bd ft of walnut didn’t put me over my $20.00 minimum for the $10.00 off coupon, so I spotted these sitting in the bins with the other dust collection goodies, and figured I would grab a couple and try them out…

I fitted one to my Ryobi AP1301, lunch box planer and one to my Sunhill SM-150B bench top jointer. My connection method is the EZ clamps from Woodcraft over the hose, to the adapter. Everything fit, and sealed up as it should, and through all the jointing, and planing of the stock in question, there was not even the slightest hint of missed dust, chips or whatever..

I have since tested it on my Ridgid EB4424 oscillating sander and find improvements in collection from there as well.

After using this, I see no reason for using the step down style reducers.

A word of caution though. I have ONLY seen these in store. If you order from Woodcraft online, I suggest calling and verifying that the item you are getting looks like a funnel, and not the step down type…

I will be back to Woodcraft soon for one more for my sander. These things are great!

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#1 posted 12-16-2009 04:06 AM

Very nice, I have the same Ryobi and HATE the dust collection on it so much I quit hooking my shopvac up to it because I’d have to manually clear the dang thing every 5 minutes. I wasn’t sure if an adapter would work well on it, but I’m definitely going to buy one of these now based on your review :) My Craftsman tablesaw also has a 2 1/2” hookup, so I’ll buy one for that as well!

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#2 posted 12-16-2009 05:30 AM

I will end up with a few uses for those myself, the planer and jointer. Thanks for the info.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#3 posted 12-16-2009 06:04 AM

My Ryobi BT3100 table saw uses a 2.5” port on back, but a belly pan with a 4” port has been added too… A 4” x 4” x 2.5” wye does the trick for me there…

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

1018 posts in 2013 days

#4 posted 12-16-2009 06:17 AM

I wish there was a Woodcraft around here :( I’ve looked at their website and can’t find that particular piece). I have a Shopvac hooked up to my tablesaw and it doesn’t do a very good job.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Jesse's profile

Jesse

#5 posted 12-16-2009 05:09 PM

Dave,

It is item #147759. They have free shipping today also, so you can just order online.

-- Jesse, Hopewell Jct., NY

#6 posted 12-16-2009 08:37 PM

Thanks for the item #...

View Mike Pientka's profile

Mike Pientka

#7 posted 12-16-2009 10:12 PM

A thorough review. Thanks!

-- Engineer by day, Woodworker by night, Original Approach LLC, Windsor CO, www.original-approach.com

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#8 posted 12-18-2009 04:54 AM

Bless you, LumberJocks.

After getting my DC set up, yesterday, I remembered that my Bosch 4100 table saw has a 2-1/4” ID port for dust collection.

I googled for an appropriate adapter, and …. what came up? This review! Should have come here, first :-)

Not only that, but … it’s dbhost—somebody to whom I just sent a Private Message with another dust collector question.

Off to Woodcraft in the morning, then….

Cheers, Jocks!

-- -- Neil

View Brian Lackey's profile

Brian Lackey

#9 posted 12-18-2009 03:35 PM

how well would a collection system work in an open garage? I back my cars out and put the table saw out just past the garage door. Not sure it is worth the effort keeping the dust down in the garage.

-- Brian, Fort Collins, CO

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#10 posted 12-19-2009 12:54 AM

I can tell you this, Brian: my brother does the same thing in his garage. He uses NO dust collection, but blows everything clean, when he’s done, with his compressor.

The issue might be … whether or not you’re breathing in unhealthy particles. Maybe a fan that pulls the nasty stuff away from you … would be better than nothing.

-- -- Neil

#11 posted 12-19-2009 01:42 AM

The idea is to move, and keep the fine sawdust particles away from the operator. Not to mention simply keeping things clean so the tool can function right. For example, when the dust collection on a planer doesn’t work right, the cutting head can get jammed up with wood shavings, and those shavings get pressed into the work piece, damaging it.