MLW Tool Box DVD and Grand Slam Tools 4-PAK Holiday Special

Review by FlWoodRat posted 12-12-2009 04:55 PM 2902 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MLW Tool Box DVD and Grand Slam Tools 4-PAK Holiday Special MLW Tool Box DVD and Grand Slam Tools 4-PAK Holiday Special MLW Tool Box DVD and Grand Slam Tools 4-PAK Holiday Special Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow Lumberjocks, Tommy MacDonald at Major League Woodworking has done it again. Tommy is offering his first MLW DVD and the Grand Slam Tools 4-Pak as a Holiday Special for only $100. I’m very happy to have taken advantage of the opportunity.

Yesterday I received my set. As expected, it was impecably packaged. Since Tommy’s 4-Pak (Bench Bat, Marking Gauge and two 1:6 paring blocks) has already been reviewed here, I will focus on the MLW Tool Box Project #1 DVD.

The DVD is actually a two disc set. Disk #1 is chapters 1 through 19 and Disk #2 is chapters 20 through 26. Tommy takes you completely through the build, from selecting and preparing your stock, laying out and cutting your dovetails, making your drawer dividers, building the drawers all the way to the final product. Of course Tommy takes the time to show you his mistakes as well. I especially appreciated this as it may just keep me from making them myself.

The DVD production quality is excellent. Clear crisp footage and audio. Tommy even placed expanded “Sketchup” views of each step prior to each chapter. This helped me too. For those of you that like written instructions, the DVD has an attached PDF file that provides Step-by-Step guidance for the entire build. I recommend printing it out and USING IT as you work through the build.

Do yourself a favor and send Santa a wish list (and the link to the MLW on-line store http://www.mlwwoodworking.com/online-store.html) and maybe you will find this fantastic set under your Christmas Tree on December 25th.

Have fun building the box and make sure you post pictures of your progress.

Bruce AKA FlWoodRat.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#1 posted 12-12-2009 05:21 PM

Wow. I’d like to get that set but with my broken ankle and upcoming surgery, this will not be under my tree this year. Thanks anyway for the post and review.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

#2 posted 12-12-2009 05:56 PM

Thanks for the review, Bruce. It looks like you got a pretty nice early Christmas present.

#3 posted 12-12-2009 06:11 PM

Scott, you are welcome. Actually, I got the DVD set for me, as I already had the 4-PAK and use it a lot. It’s a great set of tools for laying out and paring Dovetail joints.

I took advantage of the Holiday Sale to buy the DVD/4-PAK set as a Christmas gift for a woodworking friend. I think he will like it too.

Jerry,
you are also welcome. God’s speed with your recovery from the ankle injury. I feel your pain man!

View Mike Pientka's profile

Mike Pientka

#4 posted 12-12-2009 11:02 PM

A thorough review. Thanks

-- Engineer by day, Woodworker by night, Original Approach LLC, Windsor CO, www.original-approach.com

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#5 posted 12-13-2009 09:22 PM

A well done video and the tools are top notch.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

#6 posted 12-16-2009 02:15 AM

Sign me up for them Tommy. The quality of your first release warrants buying the sequel.

View FloridaUFGator's profile

FloridaUFGator

#7 posted 12-16-2009 03:30 AM

+2 on the video. I don’t own the tools but the DVD is very good (typical TChisel entertainment).

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#8 posted 12-18-2009 03:54 PM

I got Tommy’s dvd and tools as well….ball is out the park on both , this guy is “good”,

just one thing Tommy…. its prounced droors not draws …:) ..

Ya done good yank

On a serious note, Tommys tools are the best out there , if ya cant go the whole pack, at least get the marking gauge , it “cuts” a super nice line , and that cut line is exactly what you want , i have about 4 other expensive marking gauges ..Tommys beats all of them…. and if you really want to hand cut dovetails…get the pack, the saw guides are a huge help….