Dewalt 13” thickness planer review

Review by Gunnyb4 posted 02-09-2018 01:00 AM 2262 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt 13” thickness planer review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this planer for 3 months and I am very satisfied. It’s a huge upgrade from my ryobi planer. I had some really rough mahogany that it planned down with no issues. The ryobi died trying to take off a 1/16” cut. I’ve put a bunch of hard wood through it as well as some cutting board projects. No chatter no sniping. I’ve planes down 3/4” strips to 1/8” thick. I put a review on YouTube you can check out the link below.

Gunnyb4

View Craftsman on the lake's profile (online now)

Craftsman on the lake

#1 posted 02-09-2018 01:47 AM

I’ve got the 734 and it’s been great. Thousands of board feet through it over the years. When it goes I’ll probably move up to the 735. Thanks for the info.

#2 posted 02-09-2018 02:21 AM

No problem. I’ve only got a couple hundred board feet throug it but so far so good. Ill update if I see any issues.

View copythat's profile

copythat

#3 posted 02-09-2018 04:01 AM

I have the same planer and think it is great. I end up with zero snipe, which is amazing to me. I once owned a Delta planer and a huge RBI planer and they were horrible for snipe. I think I will replace the blades when they become dull with a shelix cutter. I would imagine it only makes the planer that much better!

-- Rob

View copythat's profile

copythat

#4 posted 02-09-2018 04:06 AM

I forgot to mention that I have the Wixey gauge on the planer and it is spot on if you take the time to set it up correctly. I highly recommend it.

-- Rob

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#5 posted 02-09-2018 04:13 AM

- copythat

I did this swap on my 735 and I have been super pleased with the results! makes a huge difference on figured woods as well as sound. Also, it didn’t take very long for the stock straight blades that came with the unit to get little nicks in them. I have not had this problem at all with the shelix head. The change out wasn’t too bad. Only issue was getting the belt on and off the pulley, but once you learn the trick of how to do it, it was really easy.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#6 posted 02-09-2018 04:39 AM

- copythat

The Wixey is a MUST a must must must and must

The other MUST is the INFEED and OUTFEED tables a must must must and must

a byrd head is nice but not a must it only became a must when I put the byrd head on my 8” jointer and wanted the mill marks to look the same on both sides from both machines

View AlmostRetired's profile

AlmostRetired

#7 posted 02-09-2018 11:08 AM

Love this planer as well but can’t make myself spend the money to do hellical head upgrade.

#8 posted 02-09-2018 11:53 AM

I will check out the Wixey upgrade. Didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#9 posted 02-09-2018 12:51 PM

I have the 735 with the Wixey. In reality, you really don’t “need” the Wixey as the factory presets on the 735 for the different thicknesses are pretty darn good. The preset thicknesses on mine were off by <1 />t justify the cost of a helical head upgrade.

All in all, a really solid machine.

#10 posted 02-10-2018 12:17 AM

I did measure a piece of maple and set it to 3/32 and it was only off by .004” so I was pretty happy about that.

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#11 posted 02-10-2018 01:50 AM

Love this planer as well but can t make myself spend the money to do hellical head upgrade.

- AlmostRetired

“worth it” is a hard thing to have an opinion on, as it shift from person to person… for me the frustration was how quickly the knives got nicks in them leaving little strips down the wood. It was probably on the 4th or 5th board I put through it, that I noticed the little strips, (faint ridges) from nicks in the blades

Being able to rotate or change out an individual cutter if one were to even get nicked is a huge benefit I think. The planner is much quieter now and seems to run better too. The thing is still loud, but it is quieter than it was. Another benefit I noticed is the chips it produces move though my dust collector better as they are much smaller than the long shavings. I have put a tons of material though the planer and there isn’t a single nick in any of the blade and they still cut as if they are brand new… I know someone else who has this planer as he puts more wood through his than I do, and he basically said that with the ability to rotate the knives 3 more times (after using the first side) and with how long you can go between needing to rotate, it is doubtful that I will ever have to actually replace cutters (unless they get damaged).

Also the quality of cut on figured wood, was much better with the shelix head.

All in all it is a pretty nice planner for the money and will serve you well regardless if you do the upgrade or not.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#12 posted 02-10-2018 04:57 AM

- AlmostRetired

I probably would not have done it but once I put the carbide head in my joiner as I mentioned before the finished looked and felt too different so I went ahead and changed it in the planner also. The noise reduction is a key benefit. The carbide lasts a long time I have only had to rotate one when I hit a knot with 2 x stock had it been the regular blade it would have been a bigger issue

If you are stuck on 110 volt or need something portable then it might we well worth the upgrade but if you have room in the shop for a 220volt floor machine then I would never encourage one to do what I did probably be able to find a used 220volt cheaper and then you can put the spiral head in it and be good to go

but for people like me currently stuck with 110 volts circuits in the shop then in my opinion it is the best solution in this case

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

494 posts in 2024 days

#13 posted 02-10-2018 02:58 PM

I am just a hobby woodworking and I’ve had one of these for four years now. I’ve read complaints about the blades but at my level of usage – 3-4 major projects a year, they’ve been fine. I do have the Wixey gauge which I use mostly when I need something an odd exact dimension or when I’m milling to 1 1/2” which is missing from the pre-set stops (which I use constantly). I could have gotten a 220V 15” planer but it would have been too big for my shop and overkill for my needs. The segmented head is another thing I passed on due to it’s cost and the fact I have a drum sander for figured woods.

View wrenchhead's profile

wrenchhead

#14 posted 02-15-2018 04:25 AM

I love mine. The blades do nick easy but most of the time i touch the board up with a couple swipes from my hand plane to get rid of them. Only takes a minute or two. One day i will by the helical head though!

-- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRuFxW8HhRfyhbTP4SY5UA I could quit if I wanted

View MagicalMichael's profile

MagicalMichael

#15 posted 02-16-2018 11:36 AM

I ask this seriously, not sarcastically. What advantage is there in a 12 or 15 ” planer if you have a 6 or 8” jointer? I have a 6” general jointer which I bought 25 – 30 years ago, and I use a Williams & Hussey molder with 7” of capacity, also purchased 25+ years ago, to plane with. I often wish for something bigger but don’t see any point of changing one without the other.

Michael