Clean your House with a Ridgid Vac

Review by d_webb posted 1694 days ago 21115 views 2 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Clean your House with a Ridgid Vac No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yeah that’s right, I clean my house with a shop vac. I recently learned that normal vacuum cleaners are a joke compared to shop vacs.

Earlier this summer when my lame hoover choked on penny, I decided it was time to purchase a worthwhile vacuum cleaner. After doing some vacuum research, it appeared the best thing on the market was a Dyson. However, I was in no mood to spend $50,000 on a vacuum cleaner that has a one wheel/ball thingy (maybe in better economic times).

Then it hit me, while cleaning dog hair off the rear seat of my car using my shop vac, I realized I could just use a shop vac to clean my house. Most new vacs can be equipped with a hepa filter, meaning there’s no dust in the exhaust, so I decided to give it try. I figured I should have a vac for “house use” only. So, I purchased the 4 gallon, 5 hp Professional Portable Power vac for $100. I would not recommend getting anything larger than this, this one is the perfect size. I also bought $50 worth accessories, which I’ll explain in a minute.

Dyson thought they were smart by giving their thing 1 wheel… Well, my Ridgid doesn’t have any wheels at all. It’s light weight, so you don’t need any wheels; you can just drag it around the house. Plus, you can slam it into walls and furniture and not worry about it breaking like a hoover.

This thing sucks like crazy. When using a shop vac in the shop, you never realize how powerful they are. But using it around the house, it’s almost too much power and you have to be careful. I routinely vac up socks, remote controllers, silverware, ect. And of course, pennies are just regular dirt for this thing.

You’ll definitely need some attachments. First, get a 10ft extension hose, the one that comes with it is to short and it kinks easily. And btw, get the vac and hoses with the 2 1/2 inch opening, not the small opening. Next, get the adapter piece that converts the 2 1/2 inch hose to 1 1/4 opening, and buy 2 of the 1 1/4 inch wands. The wands are good for cleaning corners and you’ll need them for a carpet attachment. Do not get the ridgid carpet attachment, that thing is junk. Go to your local vacuum cleaner supply store and buy a real carpet attachment.

I will never buy a regular vacuum cleaner again.

Anyways, I’m new here, and I didn’t know where to introduce myself, so I thought I’d write a review.

View d_webb's profile

d_webb

View rtb's profile

rtb

FIRST let me say welcome to he family, pull up a stump and sit awhile. warning this site can be addictive. I like the way you use the shop vac in the house. I have done this for special cleanings but not thought about the things that you mention. Mine is far to big to drag around but I think that you have found an excellent mix.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Welcome, I use my shop vac at times as well.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

My sister arranged for a Kirby demonstration (she wanted the free rug cleaning they do lol) and the guy was telling us about the suction comparisons and all, and he’s like “the only thing with more suction power is a shop vac…” DING hey, I have a shop vac!

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View d_webb's profile

d_webb

I actually enjoy cleaning my house because of this thing. People always think I’m joking, or it’s just a guy “being a guy” kind of thing, but I will never clean my house with anything else. As long as you have the hepa filter, it works.

I will admit that using it for wet stuff isn’t so great. I had the bright idea of just soaking my kitchen floor, and then vac-ing it up; you know, like sweeping and mopping in one easy step… because it is after all a wet vac. But because it’s so small, after it had about a gallon of water in it, it starting blowing water out the exhaust, and spraying the walls and appliances with dirty water. It was a mess, and I learned from my mistake.

But yeah, for dry stuff (and small puddles) it’s great.

View F Dudak's profile

F Dudak

Tim the Tool Man would be proud!!!!!!!! AAAAAARGGGGHHHH!! Now if Pam was there to lend a hand…..

-- Fred.... Poconos, PA ---- Chairwright in the making ----

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I have the Ridgid Vac the mounts on the wall in my shop and must admit it is powerful and I LOVE IT. I also bought a remote, aftermarket Rockler I believe, switch for it, I carry it in my pocket and it works from anywhere on the premises.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

Cool idea. Only issue you might have is the lack of a carpet beater. Hardwood floors would be a cinch, but without a beater on the vacuum, dirt does have a tendency to go deep into the carpet.

Welcome to LJs and thanks for posting.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View charlie48's profile

charlie48

Welcome to LJs.Just last week my wife told me we were having some one come over to show us a air cleaning machine,well you guessed it it was a 2800.00 thats correct ( 2800.00 ) vac. system. I damn near had the big one.I can’t wait to show her this , as I have three shop vacs.Thanks d_webb you just saved me money ,I may have to go out and get a new TS.

-- Charlie............Only time will tell if it was time well spent.

View thiel's profile

thiel

So… which one of us will up the ante by rolling a cyclone into the living room? :-)

I will say that my wife wanted a Miele vacuum, and since I was able to distract her with it while rolling a new cabinet saw into the house, I said “Sure!” It was $400.00 well spent. The suction is so impressive that I DON’T bring my shopvac indoors to clean up after renovations, and I pull the Miele out to the driveway to clean the car. And it’s so quiet that I actually always plan to make phone calls while vacuuming (not joking!) so I use the time more effectively. I have no idea how they made this thing. Must be alien technology.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View XACX's profile

XACX

I am a big Consumer Reports believer and they love the Ridgid Vacs. I think they score tops in every catagory, if not then definitely 2nd. At the price you can’t beat them. Also they must hate Dyson because in the convential home vacuums they score Dyson way down towards the bottom. If your interested, the Hoover U6485 (anniv. edition in blue about $150) scores at the top for convential vacuums. I got one and love it. My Inlaws are supposed to be getting me the Ridgid 16Gallon for Christmas, but I am sure they will screw it up like last year when they got me a Husquavarna leaf blower instead of the Stihl. They spent about $50 more on something that was not as good a product. Nice review, good to see that Consumer reports was on target.

-- When life gives you lemons....Throw them at other people!

View Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Cajun Box Sculptor

4938 posts in 1913 days

My wife and I also have been using shop vacs for years around the house. I currently have a $79 Ridgid vac on wheels and it does a great job.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

990 posts in 1963 days

I have this vac and its great!! I don’t use it in the shop too much, but if you connect the hose to your sander, there is nothing better (AFAIK) for sanding sheetrock. I got mine for $5 at a garage sale and figured “what the hell, let’s give it a try”. It TOTALLY eliminated any additional cleaning after sanding the drywall.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 1930 days

I admit, I do it too. I put in ear plugs and turn on the shop vac. I even vacuum one of my dogs with it. She loves it and during shedding season it’s miraculous… The only problem is when you turn on the shop vac, the smell of dog is pervasive… gotta love dogs.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

yep and the vacuum exhaust is great for blowing dog fur out from under your couch!

View sidestepmcgee's profile

sidestepmcgee

during this last black friday the depot blew out a 5 hp shop vac for 15 or 20 cant remember, by time I got there they sold out.darn

-- eric post, tallahassee FL