First use, what a pleasure

Review by copythat posted 02-05-2018 06:19 AM 1337 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First use, what a pleasure No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

At the end of November 20017, I bought a pre-owned, but never used, Festool Domino Joiner, the DF 500 Q set. I then ordered the Festool 498899 Assorted Domino Beech Tenons And Cutters. Yesterday, I started making a cabinet for my Incra router table set up and decided to use dominos to assemble the face frame. I changed cutters, added an attachment, changed a metric guide to imperial and BAM, it worked perfectly the very first time. I had the face frame mortised in about five minutes and was ready for glue up. It was a dream to use and couldn’t be simpler.

I have to admit that I would never have bought a “new” Domino because of the price. I am so thankful that I happened across the tool on Craigslist or ebay or wherever I saw it and decided to give the owner a call. It really is a simple and efficient tool to use.

-- Rob

View copythat's profile

copythat

View brtech's profile

brtech

#1 posted 02-05-2018 02:23 PM

Yeah, this is one of the tools that makes you a Festool believer. Yes, it’s crazy expensive. Yes, you CAN do something roughly equivalent with a good dowel jig. Yes, you can make a “better” joint with hand tools. But once you build a substantial project with it, you will be a believer. It’s so accurate, so easy to use, so well built, and it does such a good job of joining two pieces of wood together that you just have to smile after putting your project together.

View AlmostRetired's profile

AlmostRetired

#2 posted 02-06-2018 10:16 AM

I bought the 700 version and the Senco adapter for the 500 bits and have yet to use it. Had a project lined up and then I got sent on a surge deployment. Have you tried table top or panel glue ups with it yet?

View brtech's profile

brtech

#3 posted 02-06-2018 06:26 PM

I’ve done a table top (thick). Works great. For any panel task, mostly what you are getting is alignment assistance, but the smaller dominos are great at that. I also used my 500 with the SIPO tenons on some raised beds. That also was great.

View BuffaloBrewer's profile

BuffaloBrewer

#4 posted 02-09-2018 06:44 PM

if buying the domino assortment check the amazon.de site for some better prices. it will take a while to ship, but the savings are pretty good.

View MagicalMichael's profile

MagicalMichael

#5 posted 02-15-2018 02:05 AM

I ve done a table top (thick). Works great. For any panel task, mostly what you are getting is alignment assistance, but the smaller dominos are great at that. I also used my 500 with the SIPO tenons on some raised beds. That also was great.

I’ve had the 500 joiner for a couple of years and really like it for putting frames together. It’s fast, accurate and very clean. But one feature still baffles me. The product includes a pair of extensions for consistently aligning holes when edge joining, but the owners manual recommends using the extra width feature to account for “manufacturing variation.” If I use this feature I find that I I often end up with misaligned holes, whereas if I draw lines and cut to the line instead I am much more likely to get a good alignment. What am I missing?

Michael

- brtech

-- michael

View ShawnMcG's profile

ShawnMcG

#6 posted 04-14-2018 03:10 PM

i love mine and can’t wait to start using the new knock-down connectors

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

#7 posted 07-04-2018 06:01 AM

I bought mine two years ago to build a bed frame. What a dream to use. I love mine.

View MagicalMichael's profile

MagicalMichael

#8 posted 07-04-2018 09:33 PM

One nice trick I have learned is to buy the 10mm cutter and open the width to maximum and then make my own dominoes to fit, which is relatively easy. This expands the range of the machine considerably.

Michael