Drop down power for convenience

Review by copythat posted 02-04-2018 08:57 PM 2094 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Drop down power for convenience No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently installed a couple circuit breakers and a bunch of electrical outlets on two walls of my garage shop. I really like having my machines plugged in and ready to go—even though I’m only using, at the most, two at a time. I hate having to bend over for a power cord or hunt for an available extension cord . . . maybe I’m just lazy!

In any event, all of my hard work still required that my machinery in front of the garage doors and in the middle of the bays be powered by extension cords strewn about the floor. I dislike that almost as much as having to bend over for a cord. I invariably have to roll something around and fight with the cords or trip over the darn things. My solution was to install four outlets in the ceiling of my garage, in between the rails of each garage door. I then purchased four of the Alert Stamping retractable cord reels with 12-gauge wire and four-outlet plugs. I wanted the heavier wire for the benefit of my machines, even though the reels only have 15-amp fuses.

I adjusted all of the reels so the outlet boxes hang six feet, four inches high off the deck. I am five inches shorter so they are within easy reach but I don’t have to worry about hitting my head. I can now power my hand tools at my bench without dragging a cord across the floor. The same goes for the machinery in the middle of my shop. It is great and the Alert Stamping reels are simple to operate. They weren’t cheap at $74.00 a piece but they seem well made and the hassle they save me makes them worth every penny.

-- Rob

View copythat's profile

copythat

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

683 posts in 2099 days

#1 posted 02-04-2018 09:26 PM

Rob,

Man are you reading my mind or what? First the LED lights now the drop down retractable extension cord. When I changed out my fluorescent lighting for the LED fixtures, I added an extra outlet next to light that is directly over my workbench. The plan is to add the drop down cord! Sure it will be on the same circuit as the lights and switch but I wont be using the extension cord with out the lights being on! Thanks for the review! Ill look closely at this model. Altert Stamping on Amazo

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#2 posted 02-05-2018 12:31 PM

Wow, I just about to order the one from Rockler. It is $20.00 more. Thanks

View AlmostRetired's profile

AlmostRetired

#3 posted 02-06-2018 10:12 AM

I keep seeing these in the Harbor Freight adds for like $50. Anyone have any experience with those?

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

465 posts in 2095 days

#4 posted 02-06-2018 02:45 PM

I have to in my garage shop.

-- Petey

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 02-06-2018 06:55 PM

I have outlets in the ceiling and a pull down shop light (with an outlet). Very convenient! Works well for those tools that are not located next to a wall.

I have a compressed air reel attached to the ceiling above the TS, also very handy.

View Hermit's profile

Hermit

#6 posted 02-08-2018 11:16 AM

I have I believe is the same brand but only has one lighted plug. Do yourself a favor by drilling a small hole in the pin that supports the hose reel to the mounting bracket and put a cotter pin in it to keep that pin from backing out. About 2 weeks after I installed mine I just happened to notice it hanging weird to find the pin half way out and about to fall.
It’s been a great addition to the shop though. Well worth the $.

-- I'm like the farmer's duck. If it don't rain, I'll walk.

View copythat's profile

copythat

#7 posted 02-08-2018 01:32 PM

It s been a great addition to the shop though. Well worth the $.

- Hermit

I wasn’t too crazy about the pin mounting system so I replaced them with small threaded rods and nyloc nuts from my local Lowes. It was a cheap upgrade but now I don’t have to worry about them crashing down on me.

-- Rob

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#8 posted 02-08-2018 02:53 PM

I bought such a power reel at a tool auction and even though I don’t need it often, sure is nice to have! Congrats on the shop improvement.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --