Porter-Cable Razor - 10" TS Blade

Review by Jeff posted 02-05-2008 01:48 PM 3793 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable Razor - 10" TS Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

NOTE: the model number for the TS blade is 100VT50

Just as stated in the review for the circular saw blade, this is a great blade. I went to my local supplier for a thin-kerf Woodworker II but they were out. The guy I usually talk to told me I should give it a try. He makes picture frames for his father (an artist) on the side and swears by the miters you can get with it. He gave me a personal guarantee that if I didn’t like it after 30 days. He would take it back. No questions asked. I couldn’t say no.

This blade is especially good for the lower horsepower contractor and ‘hybrid’ table saws. I have cut all kinds of stuff (Poplar, Cherry, Padauk and Ebony) up to 1” without any hassles. I have not used a stiffening plate and the miters I’ve cut for boxes are crisp and without chips. I was really pleasantly surprised and will buy it again. I got the WW II thin-kerf on a different day but have yet to use it because this P-C is working great so far.

Keep an eye on the price because they might come down more. The odd tooth pattern does make you scratch your head at first. They guy who sold me mine says their P-C rep stated that has been the reason more haven’t sold. Put your concerns aside and give it a shot though.

The only caveat I can mention at this time is about the carbide in the teeth. C3 is used rather than the harder C4 (like on Forrest blades) so the longevity is somewhat reduced. I will post a follow-up after more stock has been run over the blade.

Price range: $30 – $35
Teeth: 50 with ATB grind

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#1 posted 02-05-2008 02:31 PM

Great review Jeff.

It does have a weird tooth configuration doesn’t it?

Something like that may turn me to trying it out, just because of that.

My blade supply is adequate for now, but I’ll look into it, when I need a new one.

#2 posted 02-05-2008 03:43 PM

Thanks, Dick.

I have to agree with you about trying it out because of the tooth configuration. It wasn’t a hard sell because it makes sense. Larger teeth with a deeper gullet to tear away material and then the smaller, shallower gullets come behind and clean it up. Pretty well I might add. The figured Cherry I cut did not suffer any burn marks.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#3 posted 02-05-2008 04:11 PM

Jeff – thanks for the well-written review. It sounds like a great blade for moderate use.

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#4 posted 02-06-2008 07:46 AM

Jeff. Thanks for the review. I want to check one out in person.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View waynet's profile

waynet

#5 posted 02-13-2008 06:22 PM

Jeff – I have been using this blade for quite a while now and like it very much. I use it on a 3hp Griz 1023 so even the bigger saws do well with it. So far it has stayed very sharp and the only down side that I can see will be I probably won’t get it resharpened. I’ll just buy a new one they are so inexpensive.

-- Wayne, Tennessee Mallard Design

View jcees's profile

jcees

#6 posted 02-14-2008 05:24 AM

I’ve had similar experience with this blade and wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again. Good stuff.

always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

#7 posted 02-14-2008 05:30 AM

great review.

will need to give it a try also.

fits my price range !

#8 posted 02-14-2008 05:38 AM

looked up the blade on Amazon. it is 34 and change. I searched for the model number 100VT50
and also came up with the same razor blade under the Oldham brand fro 42 bucks.

#9 posted 02-14-2008 06:09 AM

Thanks for the additional feedback on this product fellas. It’s good to hear from others who’ve used it with similar satisfaction. Interesting about the Oldham find, Dan. I wonder who licensed it from who? Maybe Delta/PC snatched up Oldham. Who can keep track anymore…

View waynet's profile

waynet

#10 posted 02-14-2008 07:02 AM

Grizzly has them in the catalog at 29.95 for the 10 inch and 9.95 for the 71/4 inch blades.

-- Wayne, Tennessee Mallard Design

#11 posted 04-18-2008 08:45 PM

bought one today at the Dewalt center. Cost 39 bucks.

Will comment more when I’ve got a little use out of it.

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#12 posted 05-15-2008 04:07 AM

Upon the recommendations in this review, I purchased the Razor 100DT50 blade a couple of months ago at HD for $27.00. I’ve been using it regularly, cutting pine, oak, maple, poplar, walnut, plywood and hardboard. I get nice clean edges and the stock feeds easily. Overall I’m very pleased with the blade and particularly satisfied with the cut quality vs price result. Yes, a WWII, Freud, or some others may give a slightly cleaner cut, but this blade works well for anything I’m doing and I would give it an 8.5-9.0 rating on a 1-10 scale.

Jim Crockett

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

#13 posted 05-16-2008 03:24 AM

Thanks for the review, Jeff. This looks interesting.