Ridgid JP06101

Review by njcraftsman posted 12-10-2009 03:25 AM 10832 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid JP06101 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought this a couple of months ago, and I’m not sorry I did. For most of my projects, the capacity of this jointer is perfect. Plus I doesn’t take up to much space with the 4 foot bed( Important for a small shop). First let me tell you this thing was set to the tee right from the factory. The bed and fence are dead flat with out the slightest hint of twist. The angles on the fence postive stops are dead to rights. I checked to make sure the knives were set right, and they were perfect out of the box. Now I don’t know wether I got lucky or what but everything else seems to be top quality. Already used it for a couple of projects like my bar top, and it’s a dream to use. I connected it to my dust collection system and it draws chips just fine. I actually looked at a simlilar delta, craftsman, and grizzly. But this one had great reviews from this site, a coupon ( making it $300), and with the lifetime service agreement I just couldn’t pass.

-- " There is no more important rule than to wear these, SAFTEY GLASSES"

View njcraftsman's profile

njcraftsman

View thewoodmaster's profile

thewoodmaster

55 posts in 1945 days

#1 posted 12-10-2009 04:24 AM

A coupon!? Where might one acquire one of those?

-- dan "insert pithy woodworking coment here"

View dmoore's profile

dmoore

177 posts in 2066 days

#2 posted 12-10-2009 05:06 AM

have one also and it was perfect right out of the box . I use on a regular basis.

-- Duane, Ohio

View njcraftsman's profile

njcraftsman

#3 posted 12-10-2009 02:21 PM

Thewoodmaster

I just had a new home depot open around the corner from my house, and they were throwing all kinds of sales, and sending open coupons in the mail.

-- " There is no more important rule than to wear these, SAFTEY GLASSES"

View Clarence's profile

Clarence

#4 posted 12-10-2009 05:54 PM

I too have one of these I’ve had for some time. It was still in the box until a couple of weeks ago when I finally assembled it and put it to work. I’m no expert—first jointer I’ve ever owned—-but it seems to be a solid, well-made machine.

I do have a problem, however: I don’t have a dust collection system, the chips just blow directly out the back of the machine. Problem is, for some reason they collect up in the cabinet and don’t blow out the port. I have to take a screwdriver or something and dig the pile out into my catch-box. It doesn’t take very long to build up a very large wad of chips inside the cabinet. I’ve tried to look up inside and see what might be causing this, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

Clarence

-- Getting old is a good thing, but being old kinda stinks.

View Mike Gager's profile

Mike Gager

617 posts in 2020 days

#5 posted 12-10-2009 06:20 PM

clarence, i think its just the nature of the beast, there are a lot of chips coming down the chute and without some sort of aid it tends to clog up. ive found that my shop vac does a great job removing the chips. i had to build an adapter to hook up the 2-1/2” hose but it was pretty easy. if you havent taken off the factory 4” adapter plate you might try taking it off and see if it helps any

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#6 posted 12-10-2009 06:23 PM

Thanks for the review. I have a Jet combo benchtop machine, but plan on moving to a full size jointer next year. I have been finding myself turning into quite the Ridgid fan so will probably pick this one up.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

#7 posted 12-10-2009 06:36 PM

Good Review thanks

View Herbiej's profile

Herbiej

#8 posted 12-10-2009 07:00 PM

I like mine , had it 5 years. And as mentioned, without the dust collector, it dosn’t expell the chips very well. That is one of my future projects. Run a 4” pipe from my dust collector.

-- Acts: 2:38

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1926 days

#9 posted 12-11-2009 03:42 AM

Got one, too.

Like it a lot.

Dead square and flat right out of the (awfully heavy for one guy!) box :-)

-- -- Neil

View Webb's profile

Webb

46 posts in 2038 days

#10 posted 12-11-2009 06:36 AM

I have had one for a few years and have used it extensively. I think the tool was quite a bargain – it operates extremely well and has stayed smooth running over years of abuse.

I did not have too much trouble with the dust/chips – just make sure you don’t have the 4” cover over the exit port (I found putting an old cat litter rectangular plastic bucket there worked well). You do have to make sure to pull out a bunch to help things along from time to time – if they back up all the way to the floor things will definitely clog :-).

I got a dust collector last weekend though so no problem there anymore :-)

I will say I had a devil of a time getting the blades equally installed after sharpening them – I need to get one of those magnetic blade setting jigs (or at least make one) – using a straight-edge and mark I eyeball did not work at all well.

View jeff_wenz's profile

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

253 posts in 1993 days

#12 posted 12-11-2009 09:48 PM

I’ve got one too, and have used it for almost 1 year now. I’ve run through the alignment adjustment and maintenance process twice now, with excellent results both times. The knives are holding up well, even when using the jointer on Mesquite, Hard Maple, and Purpleheart. On a scale from 1-10, I’d give it a 9 only because there are times I’d prefer an 8” capacity. The tool performs well, and is consistantly a great resource in my shop. I do have a dust collection system of sorts, a ShopVac with a Thien baffle chip seperator, and the chips and dust are collected well, even at 2 1/2 inches vs the 4” connection. Perhaps a simple adaptor from the 4” output to 2 1\2 will solve your issue. Good Luck, and let us know how it works for you.

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View Rxmpo's profile

Rxmpo

#13 posted 12-18-2009 02:44 AM

I too got one of these machines a few years ago and I love it! Just replaced the blades for the first time and cuts like butter.

Thewoodmaster: Before I went to the store to buy this machine, I actually bought a 20% off HD coupon from someone on ebay for about $8. I bought a whole bunch of stuff at one time that day and saved a few hundred dollars. They capped the savings at $500. Here is the link for a 10% coupon someone is selling now with a max savings of $200, which isn't bad for a $9 investment.

View Andy Brownell's profile

Andy Brownell

144 posts in 2004 days

#14 posted 12-18-2009 09:27 PM

I have their joiner, planer, bandsaw, drillpress, trim router and random orbit sander.
I love all of their tools. Great reviews consistently and can’t beat the price for a weekend hobbyist.
Good warranties on all Rigid products as well.

-- Andy Brownell

View jim1mckenna's profile

jim1mckenna

#15 posted 12-20-2009 01:12 AM

I have this jointer as well I got it on a speacial it was together and set up the only thing I did is reset the knives witch was very easy.