Gets the job done!

Review by ChunkyC posted 1688 days ago 7852 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gets the job done! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Where Purchased: Lowes
Purchase Price: $149.00

Let me start off by saying that this is the first biscuit joiner that I’ve owned so I can’t compare it to other models but I will give you my honest take on the model.

Specs:
It has selectable depth settings for #0, #10, #20 and “M”. The M setting is for future use, what ever that means but at the M setting, you get the full depth of cut.

The height is very easy to set by loosening a thumb screw and turning a knob to set the height. The fence is adjustable from 90º – 180º.

It comes with a hard case, dust bag and dust collection adapters for a dust collection unit.

Pros:
Over all I’m very happy with the DeWalt Plate Joiner. It has plenty of power and is very accurate, of course after a though setup. I like the feel of the tool. It has the “quality tool” feel about it. It has some weight to it so if you use a biscuit joiner all day long, you may want to weigh the advantages. I get nice flush joints when joiner edging to ply. I like the height adjustment and I like how it locks down after setting the height, I’ve not had any issues with the height adjustment moving on me.

Cons:
The reason it gets 4 stars is because of the handle. The handle is attached to the motor part and not the fence. So it moves when plunging. This makes it awkward to keep the tool firmly against the work surface while plunging. I find myself holding the work piece and the fence with one hand to keep the fence securely against the face of the wood.

The dust collection leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve only used it a couple of times on BB ply and a lot on walnut. The walnut when cut, makes long strandy chips that have a tendency to clog the dust port. This may be in part do to the type of dust collection that I’m using, a 2HP unit that I have to go from a 4” hose to an 1-1/4” hose. It may work better if I were to hookup a shop vac directly to the unit and forgo the main dust collection unit.

In Closing:
Would I recommend the DeWalt? I would but I would also caution you to seriously consider a model that has the handle attached to the fence and not the motor. If you’re like me, a weekender, then the DeWalt will make a very nice addition to your shop, it has mine. If you’re a pro or use a biscuit / plate joiner a lot, then you may need something a little more stable (that darn handle thing again.)

Sincerely,

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

I have had the same one for about 13 years. To be honest with you, I had to go look at mine becuase I have never noticed the handle. I have never used it. I have always used it one handed. Like ChunckyC, I hold the fence down with one thumb and the joiner in the other hand. It’s a great little biscuit joiner and I would recommend it.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

Well I’m glad that I’m not the only one with the same opinion of the joiner. I know that I railed on the handle but I really do like the joiner. I’m certain that it will serve me well over the years.

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 1985 days

Glad the joiner working fairly well for you. I bought one used for $100 about a year ago. I don’t use it that often. It took me a few tries to get use to it. I’m glad I picked it up.

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

I’ve never had an issue with the handle .. the only time I use it is to pick the tool up out of the box.

If you look into the dust port, you’ll see a little “finger” cast into the opening, designed to keep your fingers out of the port. If you remove the protrusion, your dust collection will be vastly improved, making this thing a borderline 5-star tool.

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...

Good review. Thanks!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View fletchs's profile

fletchs

I was borrowing a friend’s Craftsman joiner and loved it. It does not have a “handle” per say. It has more of a palm rest on the fence which enables you to hold your work in place when you plunge it. The only other version of this that I have seen is the Ryobi. Does anyone have any imput on which design is better and why or which brand is better Craftsman or Ryobi?

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

The Dewalt is ok and will get the job done but personally I prefer the Porter Cable. Just looking at them both they look almost identical but in use the PC is a little more versatile and also come with a small blade to do face frame biscuits

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going

View PASs's profile

PASs

Got one used from a contractor who told me he’d ‘upgraded’ to another brand.
It was basically brand new
I plugged it in and it ran so I gave him $100; had everything including a second blade.
Got it in the man-cave and noticed the bevel adjustment slipped so the cut would sometimes angle in (not good for a gointer to cut holes at different angles.)
I was sure that’s why he sold it.
So I got to looking at how the clamp worked and BINGO, it wasn’t clamping far enough to grab and hold.
A simple thin washer and it holds now like it was welded.
Don’t use it much, but like any specialty tool, you only use it when you need it.

-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

385 posts in 2048 days

Mine doesn’t seem to be able to do an accurate 90 degrees off the fence. Can’t adjust correctly, AND the engineer didn’t think it was necessary for the stop distance from the blade to stay the same when changing angles. Pain in the butt. I’ll give this unit two stars.

View BRAY's profile

BRAY

I have the same jointer. It’s a great addition to my tool collection. While searching for a biscuit jointer I decided to visit a local pawn shop. There it was, a Dewalt DW682K. It had been used once, maybe twice. It had a $75 price sticker on it. After seeing them selling for around $200, I decided to buy it. I’m glad I did; I used it on my kitchen remodel—it works great.

-- BRAY

Love mine, and a bit surprised to hear any negative feedback on this unit. I chose it over the Freud due to the simple trigger-style switch. I clamp my stock to the workbench so the handle arrangement works fine for me. Thanks for the prior tip to rempve the obstruction in the dust collection port – sounds like that will help. Actually mine cleans up the waste from 20 or 25 biscuits using the supplied bag. My only minor gripe is that when operating the tool, the fan blows air and the occasional chip in your face. Regular safety glasses won’t keep chips out of your eyes, you will need goggles. For me it is still a 5 star tool, and I use it often.

View storsveguten's profile

storsveguten

I also have the DW682, and worth mentioning is that the fence has a window for easy and accurate positioning. A feature you won’t find on every biscuit joiner. Like pintodeluxe my only complaint is that it blows air in your face when using it. A little annoying I think, so it gets 4 out of 5 stars.

-- Ken, Norway

View 303Woodwork's profile

303Woodwork

Great Dewalt plate joiner review. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts onto (cyber) paper!
Shame about the handle issue, but otherwise sounds good. I will still be checking out the Lamello C3.
Here’s another review: Dewalt Biscuit Joiner

-- Gotta love woodworking!

View SeaBob's profile

SeaBob

I have owned one of these for years, might even be decades. Rock solid performance. from the machine, not so much from the operator :)