Unpacking -Revo 1836

Review by Dan Katz posted 01-27-2018 02:15 PM 1203 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Unpacking -Revo 1836 Unpacking -Revo 1836 Unpacking -Revo 1836 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered my new Lathe from Packard and had it delivered to a friends cabinet shop where they loaded it on to a pickup and brought it to my shop. I have an overhead crane system which moves out to the middle of my drive and enables me to lift objects out of a truck bed or trailer.
My first objective was to remove the lathe from the box without destroying the box in case I wanted to return it or move it in the future.
Before removing the lathe I found the plug and tested to see if it would fit my 220V plugin and was working. So far so good.
Next I removed the indexing gizmo so I would not break it with the straps. My straps are 12’ and rated for 1600 lb each.
I believe this could be done with a cherry picker. I first got the lathe bed up above the styrofoam insert and then set it down on some boards and then re-positioned the straps to lift it clear of the box. This went pretty quick and easy since I didn’t have to remove the Headstock/Tailstock /Toolrest. No problem. Assembly was easy.
See Part 2 for the rest of this review.

-- VillageCarver,Chattanooga

View Dan Katz's profile

Dan Katz

View rizzo's profile

rizzo

#1 posted 01-27-2018 07:27 PM

Just ordered one for myself last week! looking forward to setting it up and knocking out some projects!

View handmadewithashley's profile

handmadewithashley

#2 posted 02-03-2018 03:19 AM

Nice. I’m considering ordering one of these myself. I keep going back and forth between upgrading to a nicer benchtop lathe (I current have a Central Machinery lathe from Harbor Freight) or going all out and getting the Laguna Revo.

-- Ashley, Alabama, Instagram - @handmadewithashley, https://www.youtube.com/handmadewithashley, http://www.ashleygrenon.com