Puzzles, Puzzles, and More Puzzles!

Review by MsDebbieP posted 12-09-2009 06:48 PM 1554 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Puzzles, Puzzles, and More Puzzles! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(this review was first published in the December 2009 LumberJocks’ eMag)

Wooden Puzzles by the editors of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts

Do our LumberJocks’ scrollwork projects inspire and intimidate you? Are you puzzled by scroll saw work? The book “Wooden Puzzles” takes “puzzled” to a whole new level!

In “Wooden Puzzles” there are thirty-one projects that are divided into beginner, intermediate and master categories. There are puzzles for children, for educational purposes, for teenagers and for adults. Although my scroll saw skills are limited and my confidence level on the machine is low I am inspired to try my hand at making one – the projects are just too cute to resist and the beginner ones don’t look too difficult.

Each scroll saw project comes with a pattern for the puzzle and a picture of the finished product (sometimes with different variations which is helpful). Many of the projects come with a series of photos accompanying the step-by-step instructions. Throughout the pages of the book are dozens of tips regarding wood selection and combinations, pattern reproductions, and scrolling tips.

I have looked through the book several times now, gaining the courage to try my hand at making a puzzle. Although I love the simple but beautiful puzzles I am intrigued by the variations presented. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll jump right into mixing it up a bit!

My Ratings of The Book
Layout and Appearance: Good balance of photos, plans and instructions. Thumbs Up!
Instructions: Clear step-by-step instructions and patterns. Thumbs Up!
Projects Selection: Great variety (in subject matter and skill level)
Inspiration: There are so many of the projects that I want to make! Inspired, indeed. Thumbs Up!
Overall: Thumbs Up!

Note: Win A Free Copy (deadline is Dec. 31/09)
To enter your name in the random draw for a copy of this book, check out the interview in the eMag

#1 posted 12-09-2009 06:54 PM

Thanks again Debbie
Looks like a great book with interesting projects.

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

#2 posted 12-09-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I just entered.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

870 posts in 2047 days

#3 posted 12-10-2009 01:09 AM

Debbie,

I bought the Animal Puzzles for the Scroll Saw from Fox Chapel that is similar. Not being that good with a scroll saw to make the sizes shown, I enlarged a couple of them and now have a 30” penguin and oversized squirrel.

#4 posted 12-10-2009 01:21 AM

what a great idea !!!
thank you.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3685 posts in 1917 days

#5 posted 12-10-2009 03:39 AM

Thanks for the review, Debbie, may yet get that scrollsaw of mine into making a project…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#6 posted 12-10-2009 12:49 PM

I’ll be looking for the projects to start coming!! :)