Delta Q3 40-650

Review by tomvette posted 01-16-2018 01:42 PM 1201 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta Q3 40-650 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For comparison, I own the Delta Q3 40-650 and an RBI Hawk 220-3, both great saws.

The Hawk is a 3 speed saw (via belt pulley change) featuring parallel arms, and aluminum construction.

The Delta Q3/40-650 is a variable speed saw leveraging a graphite C arm on a 90 pound chassis.

The Delta has minimal vibration, likely the result of the low moving mass of the C arm coupled with the heavy chassis. The cutting speed is fast and “buttery” due to the non parallel C arm design. This makes this saw my choice for most work. Blade changing does not require tools and the saw has simply needed no service and is about 15 years old now.

For complex fret work in thick material, the RBI with its parallel arm design would be a better choice as it would eliminate any tendency for edge beveling.

I believe this is one of the last Delta products designed by the US team, prior to the sale of the Company. Highly recommended.

View tomvette's profile

tomvette

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 01-16-2018 09:02 PM

I had one of these back in 2002, when I lost it in a divorce. Ex was given the choice, entire stereo system, or the scroll saw.
Since I was doing a lot of scrolling at the time, I think to this day she took it for spite.
But my new lady, (now happily married for almost fourteen years), bought me the big Dewalt yellow monster to replace it, although I pretty much have moved on to other things rather than scrolling. I still use it for handles on my jewelry boxes, cutouts on guitar pickguards, etc.

If I remember right, that was a pretty good scroller, that Delta. Made a lot of Christmas ornaments, inlaid letters for handles I used to make on wooden baskets, etc.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View BertL's profile

BertL

#2 posted 01-17-2018 04:45 AM

I’ve had a Q3 since 1999, and I love it. The variable speed DC motor is so quiet. I rarely use it over half speed, so very little vibration. It is heavy, with it’s stand. I should probably put it on casters, but it is usually happy in the corner, without much need to be moved. I used it just today to cut the slots for fret wire on a guitar neck.

The only trouble I’ve had was the on/off switch got flaky – slow to start, or no start at all. Went to replace the switch, and found it just needed a little sawdust blown out, and it went right back to work.