Grizzly 17" Bandsaw

Review by LesB posted 12-08-2009 03:13 AM 6448 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly 17" Bandsaw Grizzly 17" Bandsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last week I received my new Grizzly G0513X2B Extreme 17” 2hp w/motor brake bandsaw. I researched a lot of saws and for the money this seemed to be the best buy. I ordered it four weeks ago but it was back ordered. Grizzly was very good about keeping me informed of when it would ship and made adjustments for my schedule.

In between the date I ordered it and received it the price dropped by $125. ($1075.00 + shipping) Grizzly responded immediately to my email request that they re-write my order to reflect the new price.

As reported by others the shipping crate was a bit flimsy but there was no shipping damage. Set up was straight forward and involved mainly attaching the table and aligning it to the blade. Everything worked well right out of the box. The wheels were aligned and the drive belt adjusted properly.
My first cuts were to saw up the shipping crate for fire wood using the factory blade. I then put on a 1/2” Wolf blade and it easily cut an 1/8” slice from 11” piece of maple. I did that free hand and the cut was quite smooth. The saw is quiet and the motor brake stops the blade almost immediately. The dust collection set up is adequate.
I bought Grizzly’s mobile base and it also does the job.
With the saw I ordered 4 Wolf blades, 1/8”, 1/4”. 1/2”, and 1”. I have only used the 1/2’ so far.
I have some re-sawing to do in the near future that will give it a real test.
It is not an 18” Powermatic but so far I’m quite quite satisfied with my purchase and the price is right.

-- Les B, Oregon

View LesB's profile

LesB

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 2048 days

#1 posted 12-08-2009 04:01 AM

Les,
Congratulations on your big toy.
I have the same saw minus the brake.
So far I love mine, it rips through the hardest of wood without skipping a beat.
I haven’t heard the motor bog down at all, and no blade burn (with the TimberWolf blade)
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

15337 posts in 1942 days

#2 posted 12-08-2009 06:13 PM

Man, That is a saw. I have a grizzle Ultimate 14” which I love! Congrats on that Mac Daddy!

View jack1's profile

jack1

1953 posts in 2780 days

#3 posted 12-09-2009 05:42 AM

It looks really nice. Good luck with it.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

#4 posted 12-09-2009 05:57 AM

Enjoy

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#5 posted 12-09-2009 06:28 AM

Congrats on your purchase. I have the plain ol’ G0513 and I get great cuts with it. I purchased the resaw fence at the same time but I never use it. I freehand everything, it just cuts that good.

One thing I have found is that the 3/4” blades cut just as good as the 1” blades and they are not as difficult to install. I am not sure I will buy the 1” blades anymore.

Happy bandsawing!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#6 posted 12-09-2009 02:49 PM

HI Les. Nice Saw. I like where they have the dust port for the vacuum on that saw- right under the bussiness srea of the saw. I have the G0555 Ultimate 14” Saw and I love it but the vacuum port is in the back at the bottom of the lower wheel and it does not get the dust as it is being cut and it goes all over the place- especially when cutting aluminum .

I’m sure you love this new saw!!!!!!!!!!

............Jim

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#7 posted 12-10-2009 04:05 AM

Congrat on your new purchase Les may it bring many years of great service to your shop. I to receive a grizzly band saw last week the G0457 and am quit impress so far. Lets review our saws in a year time to see how thing develop. Happy band sawing Les and stay safe…Blkcherry

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#8 posted 09-04-2010 12:05 PM

ya seriously debating getting this saw

-- Ben L

View LesB's profile

LesB

#9 posted 09-07-2010 07:23 PM

There is no debate. I have it.
I am quite happy with it. If I had a negative comment it would be about the odd size blades, 131 1/2 inches. Only Grizzly has them or I have to special order them. I did buy several Wolf blades in various widths and teeth combinations so I have them available.
Les

-- Les B, Oregon

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#10 posted 12-04-2010 10:29 AM

man ive been saving for this for a while now.
i need like another hundred bucks.
i almost had enough but i had to buy some water stones and i “had” to buy some chisels because of black friday.
is everything still well with the saw?
and did you get the people to deliver it and move it?

-- Ben L

View italtrade's profile

italtrade

#11 posted 03-02-2011 07:29 AM

Where do you buy the Wolf blades? Do they need to be special ordered? What is their cost?

View john2005's profile

john2005

#12 posted 06-14-2012 12:24 AM

Just about ready to buy my first band saw (tired of borrowing). This is one of the ones I have been contemplating. Any input from those who have used other saws?

-- In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

View Blackbeered's profile

Blackbeered

#13 posted 09-24-2012 02:25 PM

I ready to pull the trigger on either the Grizzly G0513 or G0514 series. But I’m totally confused about the three [?] braking systems available.

First, there’s the “no brake” version …. the blade stops eventually [2 minutes]when the power switch is pressed [one hand has to be removed from the work].
Second, there’s the “foot brake” ... like above, but a friction pedal is used against the lower wheel.
Third, there’s the “foot-pedal activated micro-switch for hands-free blade stopping”. I’m told that’s available on the 17” but not 19” BS. And Grizzly couldn’t tell me if the saw restarts if the foot is taken off the pedal before the power switch is turned off.
Fourth, there’s the “motor brake without foot-pedal” on the G0514X2B. Sounds like this is like the Second type, only the “friction to stop” is electrical rather than mechanical.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience with any of these types of braking … and a recommendation.

Thanks.