A book with something for everyone

Review by WayneC posted 12-07-2009 06:39 AM 1738 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A book with something for everyone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I came across this book on a trip to Singapore two years ago and read it from cover to cover on the 17 hour return flight to the US. This book provides a very comprehensive overview of hand tools you would find in the shop and provides basic information on their use. I belive much of the information in this book has been lost with the advent of power tools. The books covers drills, planes, saws, and spokeshaves as you would expect in a hand tool book. What surprised me is that he covered screwdrivers, pliers, rule, squares, etc. These tools are more common and I found it interesting the things that I did not actually know.

The appendex of the book has plans for a work bench, shooting board, bench hook and a number of other shop made jigs and fixtures described in the book. The text is very clear and well illustrated. This is another highly recommended read for anyone who uses tools. Gallot or not.

Title: Hand Tools – Their Ways and Workings

WayneC

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#1 posted 12-07-2009 06:50 AM

I second the five-star review for Watson’s book. I’ve given it as a gift to few folks. It is a great reference source crammed full of enlightening information.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View steveosshop's profile

steveosshop

#2 posted 12-10-2009 08:56 PM

I will have to give this book a try. I perfer to work with handtools, so good books on them are always a great read. Thanks.

-- Steve-o

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#3 posted 12-10-2009 09:26 PM

Steve, this one is a good value for what you get.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov