A great folding bucksaw for hiking and/or tree trimming

Review by MalcolmLaurel posted 01-14-2018 01:58 AM 1097 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
A great folding bucksaw for hiking and/or tree trimming No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t remember where I saw the Fast Bucksaw some years ago, but I added it to the running “I want this” list my family uses for birthday and Christmas presents. Anyway, my wife bought it for me for this past Christmas. Since then, I’ve taken it out on a couple of hikes.

Previously, I used a small folding camp saw to collect the mountain laurel branches I used for my lamps and other work. It’s nice and compact works great for small stuff, but once you get to 3” or so it’s just too small, and lately I’ve been working with larger pieces.

The Fast Bucksaw takes it from there. It’s a bit tricky to use on the small stuff, but it really shines with larger stuff, up to 6” or so. The first time I took it out, I cut away some trees that had fallen across one of the trails behind my house, and I did the same today… no way I could have cut this stuff with the smaller saw. It’s far stiffer than the generic bent steel tube tree saw I used to use around the house.

It looks (and is) super simple, but it’s extremely well thought out. I considered making a copy myself, it wouldn’t be that difficult, but I have enough projects as it is.

I did add a web strap so I could sling it over my shoulder; unlike the smaller saw it doesn’t fit in a pocket.

-- Malcolm Laurel - http://MalcolmLaurel.com

View MalcolmLaurel's profile

MalcolmLaurel

1 comment so far

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

#1 posted 01-14-2018 02:01 AM

Nice saw.

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR