Incra - A great router fence

Review by GaryK posted 2362 days ago 12657 views 6 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra - A great router fence Incra - A great router fence Incra - A great router fence Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this after seeing it at the Woodworkers show in Dallas this year. I didn’t get it at the show because
woodpeckers had it cheaper and free shipping. (Saved $80)

I have been looking at it for a while, but thought what’s the big deal, my fence works just fine. Then at
the show I saw some features that I liked. Now, like at all shows they have nice slick demos that they do
to make their product look simple and easy.

Well, for the most part it is simple and easy. The system I bought comes with a book and templates. The book
has full size drawings of all their joints, making it great to hold your piece up to it to see how it will fit. Once
you have decided on the joint you want you just take out the matching template and insert it into the slide.
Use that to make your cuts. That is a simple explaination with details left out but it is simple.

I really like being able to move the fence .001” at a time.

As you can see from the last two photos I had to add an extension to my router table to mount it. It
does take quite a bit of room.

All in all it has upped the precision and repeatabilty to my work. It’s a great buy and worth it.
Also comes with a nice little DVD showing it’s features and how to set it up.

You can download the manuals at: http://www.incra.com/product_manuals.htm

You can also view a demo here: http://www.incra.com/product_bpv_insvideos.htm
It’s at the very bottom of the page.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

Interesting. I have not gotten past a scrap board fence yet.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I never paid much attention to this fine instrument until you reviewed it Gary.
I’ll have to take a closer look at it now.

How do you figure it improves your cuts on your router table.
I mean is the accuracty worth the investment if you are not doing precision joinery? i.e dovest etc.

Good write up.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View designerboy's profile

designerboy

Have a similar setup. tis grand…
I simply love having the flexibility of being able to come back and rout with precision at a previous setting instead of thinking I must rout all the same profile in the same run, and better do much more than I need, etc, etc. (Triton router table memories…)

I have woodpeckers Unilift (all sourced locally from; www.woodworksupplies.com.au) also, cos I figure if distance FROM bit to fence is accurate, and bit height is accurate, this makes routing a process and a no-brainer rather than some particular high-skill activity !

-- My Fear is when i die, my wife will sell my tools for what I TOLD her they cost

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19313 posts in 2449 days

That is some fence Gary. I like the dust extraction facility. What sort of dollars are we talking for this unit.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

GaryK

Grumpy – I think I got it for about $320 total.

Bob #2 – It doesn’t really improve your cuts, but the accuracy with which you make them. Accuracy
is the key thing here. Dovetails a little too tight? Move a couple of thousands of an inch and cut again.
I think it’s worth the money.

Hi Gary,

I have been looking at these but one question I have can it take the place of a dovetail jig for boxes and drawers?

Thanks

GaryK

Scott – I would say no. That is because the cross feed is cheesy and that’s what you will be using.

It would be alright for short length dovetails of say 10” max.

View Blake's profile

Blake

I’m absolutely in love with mine… changed the way I do everything. I’ve been meaning to do this review but you beat me to it. Great write up.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

Thanks Gary. One of these is definately on my wish list. Some many tools, so little time and money (deep sigh).

View Woodburner's profile

Woodburner

I bought the Ultra Incra Fence System that fits on my Shopsmith. I can use it as both a tablesaw fence and a router table fence. It has really improved my work by making my cuts much more accurate, and allowing me to change the fence’s positiion and then go back to the exact, and I do mean exact, previous setting without any problems. I used to make just furniture, and now I can honestly call my projects fine, detailed furniture.
As for the router table, I have made so many different variations of the dovetail and box joint that I can’t count them all. This thing allows you to create through, blind, coner-post, double, double-double dovetails and box joints that are just beauitful. I have never been able to make these type of joints on a normal dovetailing jig (Leigh, Rockler, etc). I can now charge a great deal more for my boxes and jewelry cases and have no problem finding buyers for them.
As for the comment that the router crosscut feature is cheesy, I haven’t found a problem with it. If I need to make dovetails, etc. in what seems to be an extra wide board, I just attach my MDF extension to the, what the company calls, the right-angle fixture. I have made drawers as much as 26- inches deep this way, and the dovetails come out perfectly.
Precision is the name of the game here, and this system has turned my Shopsmith into a finely-tuned and precision woodworking tool. I’ll never again think about selling my Shopsmith. I plan on passing it down to my grandchildren now.

-- Sawdust & Shavings, Woodburner

View williams's profile

williams

I was thinking about flipping the script on that fence the other day. Take the fence off. Mount the extender on a plastic slider block that slides on something like the EZ smart track (or dewalt track). Then figure out a way to mount rounter to end of the incra (where the fence normally connects to). Now you can use the “dead wood” method and lock down the wood and move the router. Route arbitrary long pieces and have the precision of micro adjustments using the incra and keep your fingers on top of router at all times. Because you can lock down piece at any angle, you can do any kind of dado safely without a room full of jigs. At least that was a late night idea.

-- William, Brighton, MI

View Howie's profile

Howie

I bought one of these about six weeks ago and can’t say enough good about it. I have three other DT jigs that I have no use for now. Once you catch on (watch the included video a couple of times) it is sweet.

-- Life is good.

111999 posts in 2175 days

Thanks Gary

View Scarecrow's profile

Scarecrow

Hey what length did you buy…the 17 or the 25 and what would you recomend….

-- Wish I had more to say-Just love playing in Wood

View Scarecrow's profile

Scarecrow

oh forgot to add…is it easy to the system to a built table like mine….I am not interested in buying one of there tables….I guess you have to be pretty acurate to make sure it is square….??

Thanks