Tiny, but powerful

Review by MrRon posted 01-09-2018 09:54 PM 817 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tiny, but powerful No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking for a small, inexpensive vacuum cleaner that I can attach to an orbital spindle sander. My DC and 16 gal vacuum is overkill for this task. Searching through catalogs, I came across this. It is 1 HP, 1 gallon capacity. I read reviews on-line and just about all were 4 and 5 star. On the positive side, suction is powerful for it’s diminutive size and it is light. On the negative side, it was loud, the cord and the hose was too short. For less than $40 and free shipping, I took a chance and ordered one on Jan 4th; received a confirmation that it would arrive on the 15th and I received it unexpectedly on Jan 8th. It was delivered by USPS to my door because it wouldn’t fit in the mailbox. The box it came in measured 10”x10”x11”. At that point, I said to myself; how much of a vacuum cleaner am I getting in such a small box. I was surprised and somewhat apprehensive as I opened the box. The vacuum cleaner itself measured 9-1/2”x8”x9”. This has got to be a toy! I let it sit overnight while I gathered my wits as to whether or not to return it. The next day, I plugged it in and wow is all I can say. The suction was powerful and it was very light. I’m thinking it may also be overkill for the purpose I want it for. As mentioned by reviewers, the cord is only 6’ long and the hose, only 4’ long. The cord length is a minor complaint; I can use an extension cord. The hose being only 4’ long is to me a plus as it will be permanently connected to my sander. It comes with a crevice and floor pickup and a wall mounting bracket. The hose is a standard 1-1/4”, that makes it great for cleaning off your workbench and machines where a 2-1/2” hose would not get into tight places. I have since found good use of it in my machine shop. I may have to get another 1 or 2. It is loud, but no more so than any other vacuum or DC. Being light, it is convenient to carry around in one hand with the hose in the other. It comes with a 2 year warranty. I don’t know how long it will last. I will let you know when or if it fails.

View MrRon's profile

View Hawaiilad's profile

#1 posted 01-10-2018 08:03 AM

Thanks for the review. Did I miss where you bought it?

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View EarlS's profile

#2 posted 01-10-2018 06:21 PM

How big is the filter? Seems like something this small would plug the filter off in no time if you are collecting ROS dust.

View Tennessee's profile

#3 posted 01-10-2018 06:38 PM
I bought this from HF for $32.99 less 20%, for a total of $26.40.
8 foot cord, 4 foot hose.
I keep it around my lathe, and it works great for cleaning up the lathe after I am done. Also great on my pen lathe since the hose is small and gets into the tight holes and cubbys around the motor and drive box.
Listed at 2 1/2 gallon, but I think more like 2 gallon. Works great.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Woodknack's profile

#4 posted 01-11-2018 04:49 AM

So you’ve owned it one day? I had a little ShopVac, very similar, might have been the same. It worked fine, just long enough for the warranty to run out then died. it was the 2nd ShopVac I owned. I’ll never own a 3rd. Last time I bought a Ridgid, be interesting to see how long it lasts.

-- Rick M,

View Tennessee's profile

#5 posted 01-11-2018 06:21 PM

Not a Shopvac fan either. Failure rate is too high.
I’ve had Rigids in my current shop that were also in my last two shops, and at least one of them is 17 years old. They never die.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View MrRon's profile

#6 posted 01-12-2018 12:05 AM

I bought it for the small size. A larger one would not fit in the base I made for my oscillating spindle sander. So far it’s doing what I want it for, but will let you know if and when it fails. At my age, it may outlast me.

View Andre's profile

#7 posted 01-12-2018 05:47 PM

I have the old SS Shopvac, no complaints, also picked up the baby Rigid awhile back and been impressed with everything but the short hose.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Bill1974's profile

#8 posted 02-06-2018 06:51 PM

I have had an earlier version of this and it works well. The filter does clog easily with fine dust. Banging it does seem to knock the film off the filter. I doesn’t want to stay upright unless you hold it while using it (topples easily). Loud and not a nice loud, but no inexpensive small vacuum is. It is handy to use for picking up liquid messes (don’t need to mess my larger shopvac that’s half filled with dust) or to suck the water out of washing machine if you have to do repairs on it. I also have the Ridgid bucket head vac and it works about the same. For both the filter clogs before the bucket is full. Replacing/cleaning filters on either isn’t to fun.