Worksharp 3000

Review by Jacksdad posted 01-09-2018 04:43 AM 2058 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Worksharp 3000 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got the Worksharp 3000 for Christmas and I’m really impressed. It comes with 2 glass plates and 120, 400, 1000, and 3600 grit sandpaper, plus 1 slotted wheel with matching sandpaper. Chisel and plane blades slide in from underneath, it’s as hard to sharpen as an electric pencil sharpener. You can also sharpen from the top or there’s a free hand way to sharpen from underneath. It’s a fast and easy way to sharpen, you can also sharpen carving tools, I highly recommend it.

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

View richimage's profile

richimage

43 posts in 1931 days

#1 posted 01-09-2018 01:01 PM

I love mine as well… I used Stumpy Nubs’ sharpening stand plans to have a place for everything – it’s brilliant!

-- "Women are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them if you try to understand them." Farrokh Bulsara (Freddie Mercury)

View EarlS's profile (online now)

EarlS

1926 posts in 2549 days

#2 posted 01-09-2018 01:54 PM

I really like mine as well. So easy to use.

#3 posted 01-09-2018 02:01 PM

+1 works super well

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 01-09-2018 04:02 PM

I like mine too. I bought a couple of diamond lapidary disks on eBay that work well, last long and not expensive.

View PaGeorge's profile

PaGeorge

#5 posted 01-10-2018 03:39 AM

I saw a few videos on it and one where diamond lap discs were used,,,pretty neat..So if someone broke into my shop and stole my sharpening box of goodies,,I’d consider buying one,,,or go to sandpaper as I don’t bother retouching carbide goods…

-- PaGeorge

View Sark's profile

Sark

#6 posted 01-10-2018 06:48 PM

I bought 4 additional glass disks, though if you want you can easily make them out of MDF and save the money. Each of the disks has the same grit on both sides, so there is no flipping disks when I want to use a particular grit. I like the diamond lap disk idea, may try it. I like the slotted disks, but don’t see much value in them considering the price.

So I also love the workshop 3000 and use it all the time. Bought the extra disks from Klingspor, they are a lot cheaper

View Combo Prof's profile

Combo Prof

#7 posted 01-11-2018 01:55 AM

You can alos buy better cheaper sandpaper made for the worksharp from Klingspor.

I made an improved Stumpy Nubs sharpening system for the worksharp. Details posted in a few days.

-- Don K, (Holland, Michigan)

View Holt's profile

Holt

#8 posted 01-11-2018 02:59 PM

I did the same thing. Klingspor (spelling?) has good quality sanding disks for a much better price!

- Sark

-- ...Specialization is for insects.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#9 posted 01-16-2018 12:53 AM

I bought one two years ago. never even opened it. ended up selling it brand new for little over half price. if i were to sharpen chisels, this would be the only way. can’t get any simpler.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Dan Katz's profile

Dan Katz

#10 posted 01-28-2018 12:25 PM

I’ve been using the Worksharp for a long time now and it is the best thing for the price. I built an aux table for mine and after spending too much on jigs, came up with some really easy holders for sharpening any chisel for carving or cabinet work. You can also use it for turning tools. I will post some pictures later.

-- VillageCarver,Chattanooga

View Sark's profile

Sark

#11 posted 01-28-2018 03:05 PM

Dan, I’d like to see some photos of your aux tables. Sounds like it could be really useful.

View Tango's profile

Tango

#12 posted 02-06-2018 01:54 AM

Love mine.
A couple of months ago I discovered that the base was cracked. I don’t know how this happen or who messed with my tool. Contacted Work Sharp to purchase the part but they said they don’t sell that part but to ship the tool to the factory for repair instead. Finally they suggested to purchase a new machine because shipping, labor + the new part will cost almost the same as a new sharpener…(?)
I will probably buy another brand the day this one stops working…
Great machine, lack of tech support.

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#13 posted 02-06-2018 02:28 AM

That sucks, mine is still going good. To me customer service is as important as the quality of the tool.