A Great Finish for Furniture Projects

Review by Sawdustonmyshoulder posted 01-08-2018 10:29 PM 447 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Great Finish for Furniture Projects A Great Finish for Furniture Projects A Great Finish for Furniture Projects Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using this finish now for a few months and have really found it to be a great finish for furniture projects. Especially, if they are going to be subject to water.

I started out putting it on a bathroom vanity top made of cypress. Beautiful color and depth was achieved with multiple coats and sanding between coats with 400 grit. Final coats we wet sanded.

I next used it on an antique table restoration and couldn’t have been more pleased as well as my client.

Finally, I put 4 coats on a barn wood island top. It worked out great.

I have used brushes, rollers and rags to apply. It smooths out very quickly without any fuss.

I would encourage any woodworker just getting into finishing to give it a try. It’s very forgiving and builds to a wonderful protective film.

The original finish is a medium sheen but you can get gloss and matte finish. Use the original finish for the first coats and then use the gloss or matte for the final coats. You can also use a very high grit sandpaper to dull the shine also.

Now, it is a bit pricey but not anymore than other premium coating. I paid $75 for the gallon but it does come in quarts that are about $32.

This finish cures in presents of oxygen so that’s why the can is crushed to squeeze out the air prior to putting on the top.

-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

View Rich's profile

Rich

2064 posts in 458 days

#3 posted 01-09-2018 02:13 AM

Long time Waterlox user here. Great stuff. Get yourself a can of Bloxygen to protect it in the can, especially since you’re buying it by the gallon.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#4 posted 01-09-2018 02:45 PM

Great product – longtime user. I use smaller amounts and this is the best option for storage and dispensing that I have found. Purchase extra caps as sometimes they can crack.

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

View Rich's profile

Rich

2064 posts in 458 days

#5 posted 01-09-2018 07:27 PM

I realize this thread is about Waterlox and not products to keep the finish fresh, but I don’t understand the concept of spending several dollars on storage bags when about 15 cents worth of Bloxygen will completely seal the finish from the oxygen above it in the original can.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

#6 posted 01-11-2018 03:34 PM

Rich,

Thanks for info. I have Bloxygen on my shopping list.

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

#7 posted 01-11-2018 09:09 PM

Thanks guys, I will try this

-- Petey