Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander

Review by rjcshop posted 1693 days ago 7746 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander Grizzly Oscillating Spindle Sander No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Every time I work on curved parts I wish I had a decent spindle sander. I use the drum on my edge sander or belt sander, or small drill press mounted mandrel sanding tubes or a small sanding block mounted in my jig saw, but these are always a pain with minimal or no dust collection. I used an oscillating spindle sander years ago in a commercial pattern shop and really liked it but I didn’t think I had room or budget for one. But, having recently saved a ton of money by building some dining room chairs, I thought I could make it work so I ordered one from Grizzly. I looked at the model offered by Jet and read the reviews and it appeared to be essentially identical to the Grizzly with more rounded table corners, for nearly double the price. Being both are Taiwanese imports, I decided to go with Grizzly as I’ve had good luck with them in the past.

The spindle sander arrived this week as promised. The shipping carton was torn, but there was no apparent damage to the equipment so I accepted delivery. Grizzly always packs their equipment fairly well, typically in form fitted EPS foam packaging as was the case this time. After wrestling the machines into my basement shop I put them together and they are as I expected – rugged, nicely finished, and heavy duty. The spindle sander took about 15 minutes to put together, simply a matter of mounting the table top on the machine – with my father-in-law’s help, not a problem. It took another 15 minutes to clean the rust preventative gunk off the top, but it was worth it – zero rust and nicely finished. The table inserts are great too – three of them for different spindle diameters with an oval cutout to accommodate the spindle when tillting the table. These inserts have four set screws to enable them to be set flush with the table top and a locating pin to keep them in proper orientation. The machine runs smoothly and seems high quality. The sander comes outfitted with a dust pick up collar and chute to connect to a 4” dust collection hose – the pickup throat is shown in the 2nd picture. I tested it and it works well – which is a blessing as these machines make a lot of dust.

At this point I’m satisfied with the spindle sander. I may discover something negative after I actually use it for awhile, but I’m expecting not to and at this point I’m batting 100% on Grizzly.

-- RobertJ

View rjcshop's profile

rjcshop

View Sleff's profile

Sleff

Nice Review RJ! I’ve been looking into what Spindle Sander to get for some time now.
I’m going to take a new look at Grizzly.

-- -Sleff

Thanks for the review, Robert. I have one of these on my wish list and have a great deal of respect for Grizzly’s tools and customer service. This review has been helpful.

View bigike's profile

bigike

when i need a spindle sander i chuck one of the mini drums in my router and turn the speed down and use that it has good dust collection the only thing is no oscillation but it gets the job done for no till like u i get the money for a new spindle sander most likely from grizzly we’ll see if not then the one from ridged cuz i need a belt sander too u can never have enough tools i say and highland woodworkings motto is “he who dies with the most tools wins” i like that one. nice review

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View patron's profile

patron

12956 posts in 1939 days

i have had this sander for years ,
and compared to others ,
it is miles ahead .

being able to quick change from 1/4” up to 4” ,
is a real blessing , as all the drums ( 10 ) ,
have their own tapered mandrel ,
drop in pop out !

and the sleeves can be flipped over ( 9” tall ) ,
for some serious sanding
mine just sits on the floor ,
and stays put , no bouncing around !

a great tool !

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Again, thanks for the review, Robert. This is also not high on my list, but I would get one before, say, the knife belt sander. So far the drill press method has worked pretty well for me. Technically, I could use the drum on the RAS also, and have in the past, but too much hookup, the drill press works better and has better dust collection. Grizzly seems to continue getting – the bang for the buck, plus good service – reputation.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska