Great beginner woodturning chisels (carbide)

Review by Blake Haskins posted 01-06-2018 07:53 PM 730 views 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great beginner woodturning chisels (carbide) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Psi carbide turning tool kit is great for beginners.
While I believe that Is generally true for carbide tools in general, this one can be especially appealing thanks to the entry level price. Carbide tools in general seem more approachable to beginners thanks to their simplicity, and their not needing sharpening. To see them in action, check out my quick review video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9g1-cHm7BM

-- make sure you subscribe to my channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRuWi7P7eIcNOckoxBI-ZRA

View Blake Haskins 's profile

Blake Haskins

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 01-07-2018 01:13 PM

Not a bad review…
I had looked at these.
Couple things were stopping me.
-The length of the blade from the handle is described as only 4.5” That’s pretty short if you do larger items.
-The blades are nice, really, but you do only get three profiles.
-The replacement blade sets are I think, $26.95 plus shipping, so more like $35 for replacements but to be honest, that is fairly cheap for carbide. Makes me wonder how good this carbide is. BTW, you can resharpen the carbide by buying a set of diamond honing cards, about $13 plus shipping. That’s the only thing that will sharpen carbide, diamond. But way better than just replacing the blades. And you probably can get them sharper with the 600 grit card.

Personally, I find that I am using more and more longer tools for leverage and the fact I am moving into more and more larger items on the lathe. As you get further into your turning, you also will find that you tend to migrate to fewer tools, and get very good with them. There are plenty of turners out there that do 60-80% of their work with a skew, or a bowl gouge of some sort. They just don’t jump from tool to tool.

Some day, you will have to make the jump to traditional tools, unless you want to spend big bucks for tools like Easy Tools carbide.

When I do pens, I thought I would use the five piece micro pen set they sell, so I bought it, and the tools are just too small for me to get the leverage and control I want. I get way more catches making a pen with that set than I do with a cheaper tool that is twice as long with a bigger profile. Profiles and length are just too small and short.

Lastly, even if I wanted them, they are out of stock so far that PSI even took them down. So I guess a lot of people are buying and trying them.
I’m still on the fence. Overall, my luck with PSI has been a bit “hit and miss”.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Blake Haskins 's profile

Blake Haskins

#2 posted 01-08-2018 02:00 PM

Not a bad review…
I had looked at these.
Couple things were stopping me.
-The length of the blade from the handle is described as only 4.5” That s pretty short if you do larger items.
-The blades are nice, really, but you do only get three profiles.
-The replacement blade sets are I think, $26.95 plus shipping, so more like $35 for replacements but to be honest, that is fairly cheap for carbide. Makes me wonder how good this carbide is. BTW, you can resharpen the carbide by buying a set of diamond honing cards, about $13 plus shipping. That s the only thing that will sharpen carbide, diamond. But way better than just replacing the blades. And you probably can get them sharper with the 600 grit card.

Personally, I find that I am using more and more longer tools for leverage and the fact I am moving into more and more larger items on the lathe. As you get further into your turning, you also will find that you tend to migrate to fewer tools, and get very good with them. There are plenty of turners out there that do 60-80% of their work with a skew, or a bowl gouge of some sort. They just don t jump from tool to tool.

I m still on the fence. Overall, my luck with PSI has been a bit “hit and miss”.

- Tennessee

yes, it may be a little short for deaper vases, but you can just replace the little cutter on the end.