Very nice Magazine

Review by David Craig posted 12-04-2009 04:19 PM 2757 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very nice Magazine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A friend of mine recently gifted me with a subscription to Woodsmith Magazine, a publication of August Home Publishing. I have leafed through a number of woodworking type publications over the last couple years (in fact I am a subscriber to Wood Magazine) and have often been left unimpressed with the quality of the material contained within. There are quite a few niceties that this particular publication has that many do not. I will list some of the positives that most impressed me.

1. The magazine is produced on thick paper. This publication is designed for the shop environment. While other periodicals are on glossy paper, this publication is on stiff stock and will not reflect glare under shop lights. The magazine is also pre-punched if you wish to put it in a binder to keep in the shop area.

2. This publication is not funded by advertisers. While I enjoy seeing what tools are available and on the market, I do not necessarily like a magazine that is 40% ads and 60% woodworking material. This is 100% information and space is not dedicated to sales.

3. The diagrams are very detailed and the steps broken down with clear and concise diagrams. The publication does not trade illustrations and diagrams for snapshots that are difficult to decipher.

4. There is a nice mix of large and small projects and there will also be a section describing a new technique which will be applied to at least one of the new projects listed. So each magazine will produce an opportunity to gain at least one new woodworking skill or technique to add to the woodworkers arsenal.

This publication is a true treat and I am confident that woodworkers both new and experienced would gain from the read.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#1 posted 12-04-2009 05:02 PM

I like this Magazine as well. I belive they also produce Shop Notes, another good one.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

#2 posted 12-04-2009 06:06 PM

yep, I have subs to that, shopnotes, and wood…love all the great ideas i get out of them.

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 12-04-2009 06:34 PM

Excellent review. I bought one of every woodworking magazine on the rack of a grocery store when I was on vacation in September, just trying to get a feel for them, but after perusing them hadn’t got back to them much. So I thumbed back through a few after seeing this review. Woodsmith is definitely a standout as is Shopnotes. I have been into a lot of things as I gear up for the hobby, and subscriptions is one of those things I haven’t finished yet. Think Woodsmith will be one.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#4 posted 12-08-2009 12:56 PM

Glad you will take the plunge Jim and PrairieFire. I do not believe you will be disappointed.

Happy Holidays,

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#5 posted 12-10-2009 06:31 AM

Excellent magazine. I am lucky enough live in the town where the Woodsmith Store is located.

-- Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity….

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

#6 posted 01-08-2010 12:09 AM

I have been a subscriber to Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Woodworker’s Journal, Popular Woodworking, Wood, and American Woodworker at various times over the last 16 years. Of these, I have stuck with Woodsmith, Shopnotes and Popular Woodworking.

Now this review is about Woodsmith, and here goes:

I like the different styles of furniture and the different types of projects that it has from issue to issue. I like that it has gone from black/white/grey print, an almost bland (too bland to buy in a newstand!) publication in its first several years, to a colorful magazine. I don’t even think of it as a magazine; rather it is a bimonthly instructional manual for woodworkers! I use this in the classroom a lot because it has very detailed plans, bill of materials, hardware lists, and vendor support. In addition, Woodsmith has a tips section in each issue to further explain complicated processes or jigs needed to complete certain processes. I have the Woodsmith Time/Life books for my students to browse, also. If a kid hasn’t shown much of a design aptitude, I will frequently limit them to projects from these books.

Now for my very short “dislike” list of Woodsmith: Sometimes, they have designs or processes that are what I call “skill building exercises.” In other words, the assembly process or the design is so complicated that it wouldn’t be cost effective in a production shop, and isn’t feasible for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year student to do. I turn this into a golden learning opportunity for students, though, and make them research other, simpler processes that will offer similar strengh and appearance charachteristics and still make the project work.

All in all… Woodsmith is a stellar publication for woodworkers. The volume of knowledge that it brings to the shop, plus the bevy of projects that have been offered thoughout its publication run, make it one of my go to sources for ideas.

By the way… I bet at least once a year, I’ll have a fellow faculty member come down and borrow Woodsmith Issue 69 (The Adirnodack Outdoor Furniture Group). It is probably the best single issue of Woodsmith available!

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#7 posted 01-08-2010 12:32 AM

Just started to get this magazine again via subscription, Just last night I went digging and found the first copy of Woodsmith magazine I bought, from May 1980 12 whole pages of woodworking for $2.00.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View WannaBBetter's profile

WannaBBetter

#8 posted 09-23-2010 05:41 PM

I agree with all thats been said. I’ve been getting woodsmith for some 20 years. But nobody menthioned readers tips & techniques I’ve learned alot from them also

-- I cut it three times and it's still too short