Great Jig for a Reasonable Price

Review by scarpenter002 posted 12-30-2017 03:00 AM 1411 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Jig for a Reasonable Price Great Jig for a Reasonable Price Great Jig for a Reasonable Price Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I was starting my Home Office project, I decided to use the European styled hinges, rather than the more common hinges I typically use. I have not had much luck with these hinges, so based on research decided to purchase some jigs to make my installations more repeatable. I reviewed many different jigs, and through the shopping process, ran into the Kreg. I have always been happy with Kreg products in the past, and with a MSRP of only $29.99 USD, it did not seem like too much of a gamble. Most other jigs I seriously considered were in excess of $100.

PROS:
  • Reasonable price
  • Carbide Forstner bit included
  • Measurement gauge both left & right of center to position jig from the top or bottom of door
  • Bit can lock into the jig, but removed to drill screw pilot holes or move jig to new location
  • Guides to drill screw pilot holes
  • Easily adjustable cams to determine location of the hole from the door side
  • Consistent, repeatable results
CONS:
  • Lightweight – Not sure how long it will last; Some may say lightweight is a benefit.
  • Crosshatch grid on bottom of jig leaves indentations in softer wood, if too much clamp pressure is applied (i.e. when using the new Kreg Auto-adjusting clamps)

I have only used this on 7 doors (14 hinges) so far, but am very pleased with the results. I would highly recommend this jig to any casual woodworker.

Thanks for reading.

-- Scott in Texas

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 12-30-2017 03:59 AM

Agreed. Like you, I shopped the whole range of prices and settled on the Kreg, and it’s a great jig.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#2 posted 12-30-2017 06:09 PM

Hmm… I’ve installed about 30 pairs of blum hinges. After awhile I simply measured where I wanted them from the top and bottom edge of the door, then I use a fostner bit about 1/4” from the side edge of the door. A 1/18” bit works well. They always work.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#3 posted 12-30-2017 06:25 PM

Hmm… I ve installed about 30 pairs of blum hinges. After awhile I simply measured where I wanted them from the top and bottom edge of the door, then I use a fostner bit about 1/4” from the side edge of the door. A 1/18” bit works well. They always work.

- Craftsman on the lake

Different hinges require different setbacks, and this jig has guides to control that. Also, it guides the forstner bit vertically and has a stop to control depth. All of which can be done with a drill press, but I find it easier to maneuver a lightweight jig around the wood than the full panel around my drill press. Just personal preference.

View scribble's profile

scribble

#4 posted 03-21-2018 03:14 PM

I also used this jig to do my refacing of kitchen cabinets. I did like the ease of use but found that the depth stop setup left much desire. I put a nice ogee profile on my doors and with the hinges I picked it drilled too far and made a small notch in my routed profile. I made an extra stop to get it to sit high enough to not damage my profile and still have plenty of depth to install the hinges.
I contacted Kreg about this and the were going to look into changing the bit design to make more adjustment.

-- If you can't read it Scribble wrote it!! “Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.”