A Must Have for Afficianatos

Review by DannyBoy posted 12-03-2009 10:15 PM 2341 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Must Have for Afficianatos No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After reading the article (for the fourth time) “A Joiner’s Tool Chest” by Roy Underhill I had toolboxes and tool chests on my mind. So, when I was looking through the tool books at the library last night and happened across this book, I quickly snatched it up and glanced through it. Well, my wife had to remind me that the library hours were closing in and we needed to go because from the start I was engrossed!

This is a great book. Especially, if you have any love of the craftsmanship that woodworkers put into everything they do. Jim Toplin has done an amazing job researching and recounting the history and evolution of the modern toolbox along with the many variations that have been developed over the years. Starting with boat boxes holding the tools that built the first American colonies and moving up through “A Toolbox for the Road” (Chapter 12), you will not be wanting for information or inspiration on toolboxes.

This would make a great stocking stuffer for yourself (yeah, selfish) if you are so inclined. But even if you only check it out of the library, I suggest you read this one (don’t just look at the pictures). A great job as always from Tauton Press.

~DB

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#1 posted 12-03-2009 10:38 PM

I have the book becourse even when I said I need the basic tool I have alot of tools from other trades and I new I had to be given some basic idéer´s of how to make a toolbox that hold for year´s and was good for my brain to see every time I go in to the shop and give me the inspiration to be a better woodworker and kick my skills to a higher place
I love read the book over and over again and I still discover something new in it I think it´s a need to have book for everybody who think there tools need a good place to rest betwin jobs

Dennis

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

ChesapeakeBob

#2 posted 12-03-2009 11:12 PM

Danny, I too own the book. It is great inspiration and a real joy to browse through. If might also like to take a quick look at the tool trays I have made and posted here.

Thanks,

CB

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#3 posted 12-04-2009 05:21 AM

I definitely agree that this is a great book. Often, these are available on Amazon.com at very reasonable prices. My recent project was a toolbox & I went through this book a ton of times before I started my work. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View Will Mego's profile

Will Mego

#4 posted 12-04-2009 08:47 PM

Between this and the two most referenced books on workbenches, I consider them to be a trinity of must have books. I couldn’t begin to express my adoration of this book.

-- "That which has in itself the greatest use, possesses the greatest beauty." - http://www.willmego.com/

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1994 days

#5 posted 12-04-2009 09:06 PM

Another good source for these books is a used book store or thrift stores…..I struck gold at one and found a bevy of Taunton and other publisher books….at very reasonable prices…...my area (a college town) has a ton of these type stores….selling used text books and others…..great place to peruse for reference books….

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!