Drill Press Compound Vise

Review by John Smith posted 12-28-2017 05:52 PM 1314 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Drill Press Compound Vise No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t normally review tools as there are so many and every person
has different expectations of the product, based on their use.

I purchased this “entry level” Shop Fox drill press vise a few months ago off of E-Bay.
several vendors sell basically the same thing, all come from China or other Asian country.
once I got all the grease out of it and got it dialed in, it is very simple to operate.
you may have to redrill the bolt pattern to fit your table. all in all, this is a very nice
tool that increases safety to your drill press. (which is a good thing).
it grips firmly, the X-Y trucks run smoothly in their tracks making small incremental adjustments a breeze.
they are selling for $40-45.00 on E-Bay with free shipping.
I will give it 4.5 stars due to I had to drill some new holes for it to fit my vintage drill press table.
of course if you are more industrial and handle larger parts in your press, you would want to go
with a larger and more robust vise…... but this one is a good Entry Level model for the hobbyist.

4” CROSS SLIDING DRILL PRESS VISE DURABLE CAST IRON CONSTRUCTION
POWERFUL, REPLACEABLE SERRATED STEEL JAWS PROVIDE MAXIMUM CLAMPING
AND HOLDING POWER.
COLD ROLLED STEEL SCREWS. BOLT DOWN SLOTS FOR SECURING. (may have to be adjusted).
CRANK HANDLES FOR ADJUSTING VISE FRONT TO BACK AND LEFT TO RIGHT.
DESIGNED FOR PRECISION DRILLING OF METAL AND WOODWORKING.
4-3/4” THROAT OPENING, 6” LONGITUDINAL AND 4-1/2’’ CROSS TRAVEL.
FREE SHIPPING APPLIES TO THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES ONLY

-- Graduated Valedictorian from the University of HardKnocks --

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 12-29-2017 12:45 AM

Looking at the low end, the only thing Harbor Freight offers in this category is a 5” milling vise, which they retail for $69.99.
It plays to a measly 2.9 stars on reviews.

Looks like you might have picked up a bargain there, although yours is 4”, and the HF is 5”. That being said, junk is junk, and I think the HF unit is junk.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#2 posted 12-29-2017 05:20 PM

I have the HF X/Y vise that I fitted to my mortiser. After a bit of tweaking, it does the job.

View REL's profile

REL

#3 posted 12-30-2017 02:24 AM

“John in Kissimmee, Florida: where the Palm Trees meet the Ocean.”

Come on John, Kissimmee is in the middle of Florida.!!!! You wish you touched the Ocean or Gulf.

Nice review though.

-- REL, North Jersey

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

#4 posted 12-30-2017 02:48 AM

REL – it’s a play off for those guys out in California – where the redwoods meet the ocean.
with the tourist invasion here – I have to come up with something like “I am a Florida Native,
one of the last Originals. I’ll turn the lights off when I leave”

this DP vise is better than I imagined. much better than the HF version I looked at in the store.
it is a very good entry level compound vise for the hobbyist that uses Vise-Grips to hold metal parts.
which has inflicted many a cut on the fingers (including mine).
I had a 75 pound milling vise many years ago that was military surplus and I sold it when I didn’t use it any more.
now, I wish I had it back.

-- Graduated Valedictorian from the University of HardKnocks --