Want to make a plane or learn how to use one?

Review by WayneC posted 12-02-2009 09:44 AM 1847 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Want to make a plane or learn how to use one? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a very comprehensive book that shows how to make a Krenov style handplane and a lot more. The book is very clear and easy to read. It provides a lot of information on how planes work, sharpening, handplane use, how to use hand tools in general and also information on plane related accessories such as shooting boards.

You have all of the information you need to create a handplane. The instructions are very clear and you should have all of the information you need to create one. He covers material selection and takes you through the process step by step.

In addition to instructions on how to make planes there is information on how to make a marking knife and plane hammer.

This is one of my favorite books. It had been out of print and because of this hard to find. Copies of the book were selling for $75 or more. Fortunately a new edition has been released.

You can get a signed copy from the Author’s web site for $24.95.

#1 posted 12-02-2009 02:30 PM

Thanks for the review and recommendation, Wayne. I have often thought it would be pretty neat to build a plane. I will have to look into reading this book.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#2 posted 12-02-2009 04:18 PM

Good review Wayne. I must add this to my collection.
I have always wondered how the hand made wooden plane manages to be included when there is so much controversy about the differences between high end cast planes and utility planes?

Is it ubersnobishness or actual fact?

I have always thought that the blade has a lot to do with the shaving as does the frog.
Does this author mention this?

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#3 posted 12-02-2009 05:02 PM

In this case there is no frog, just a wedge to hold the plane in the body of the wooden plane. The key factor is the angle the blade is bedded and the size of the mouth opening. The author is using Hock blades designed for this style of plane if I remember correcty.

The blades are high quality.

IMG_1340

IMG_1341

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2027 days

#4 posted 03-03-2010 07:38 PM

Im pretty sure he isn’t using Hock blades considering he sells his own and they are cheaper than hock.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

#5 posted 03-04-2010 12:30 AM

I think that may have changed more recently. Out of curosity I will have to pull out the book and take a look.

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2027 days

#6 posted 03-04-2010 08:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced them. I’m thinking about buying one. He’s seems like a nice guy. He recently responded to an email the next day.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy