Narex Woodworking Chisels, Set of 4 863010

Review by pintodeluxe posted 12-26-2017 04:40 PM 1865 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Narex Woodworking Chisels, Set of 4   863010 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up a set of four chisels, which includes the 6mm, 12mm, 20mm, and 26mm. I also added a 4mm chisel to the set (good for thin dovetails). I cleaned up the machine oil on the steel, and it came off okay. I inspected the finish on the handles and some were perfect, and a couple had slight roughness to the finish. A quick buffing with a 1000 grit soft sanding sponge took care of it. The wood itself was smooth, it was just a couple rough spots in the finish.

So I took a look at the cutting edge, and was surprised that three out of four had a hollow on the bevel of the chisel. This was not an intentional hollow, as you might find on the back of a Japanese style chisel. It extended all the way out to the tip of the bevel. Neverthless after 4-5 minutes sharpening each chisel with a 600 grit diamond plate and a bevel guide, I was able to restore order.

They cut like a razor, and really feel good in the hand. I expected to have to sharpen inexpensive chisels, so no stars deducted. They cut through hard maple like it was cardboard. After the initial sharpening, I feel these chisels could stand with much more expensive tools. I cannot comment on longevity yet, but since my last chisels lasted 25 years, I’m not too worried.

The Narex chisels with light colored handles have beveled sides for improved clearance, but also have a slim side-edge that stays square. This is a good compromise for me, as I use them for just about everything (squaring up corners, dovetails, light chamfering etc.). My old hardware store chisels will now be demoted to scraping glue.

If you have reasonable expectations about these inexpensive chisels, I think you will be quite pleased.

View Ron Aylor's profile

Ron Aylor

#1 posted 12-26-2017 05:46 PM

I have a couple of Narex Mortise Chisels; 4mm and 6mm. They keep an edge well. As you mentioned above, I had to smooth the handles out a bit. I think they’re great. I have an old set of ACE Hardware chisels that are a bit shorter than when I bought them some 40 years ago, but still in good working order. So, I’ll stick with a card scraper for scraping glue. LOL. Thanks for the review!

-- Ron in Lilburn, Georgia.  Knowing how to use a tool is more important than the tool in and of itself.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#2 posted 12-26-2017 08:15 PM

Tiny tiny pictures, Willi :-)

I have had a set of these for over three years and I can attest to their quality as well. Probably the best buy put there, cost to quality ratio.

-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://www.geraldlhunsucker.com/

View stefang's profile

stefang

#3 posted 12-27-2017 12:31 AM

Hi Willy. Great looking set of chisels. It’s nice to see that you can still buy good quality chisels without having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the homestead to buy them.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Andre's profile

Andre

#4 posted 12-27-2017 03:55 AM

Bought the dark handle set a few years ago but didn’t care for the bulky handles so got the new Sweet hearts!
Also got the Mortise chisels which work great and keep an edge longer than expected.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View jonah's profile

jonah

#5 posted 12-28-2017 02:36 PM

I have the imperial set with the darker handles of the same style, and I’m a big fan. They’re great chisels. I do have one of the Narex with the smaller, more rounded hornbeam handle, and I find I prefer that. I think the handles are a bit big, but it doesn’t really affect day to day use.

I’ve had mine for ~5 years and they’ve been great. A really good buy, especially compared to what else is out there.

View Babieca's profile

Babieca

#6 posted 12-28-2017 09:08 PM

I’ve been using this set for three years and I’m very happy with how they take and hold an edge. I just wish I had gotten imperial rather than metric.

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to get started woodworking without breaking the bank.