A wonderful eyesight helper for tiny things!

Review by Holbs posted 12-24-2017 03:36 PM 890 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A wonderful eyesight helper for tiny things! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I started to reshape a handsaw with my normal sight and then with my reading glasses (1.25 Power…Maybe prescription glasses for higher power would work instead of these). Both were not up to par for the tiny delicate work that was needed. I thought about jewelry professionals that use those monocles and that should be exactly what would work! Out searching I go… I eventually found this magnifier. Found out, can not use monocles as the item has to be a couple inches away from your face, which would not work for saws. But you can use these.
All made of cheap plastic but what do you expect for $15.
Has interchangeable lenses of 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X.
Has a handy 2 bulb LED light via batteries.
Can angle/move both the lenses and LED light at adjustable angles.

I can see using this for many things in the wood shop: chisel sharpening, saw sharpening, accuracy related measurements & marking, etc.
via Amazon

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1870 posts in 2029 days

View wuddoc's profile

wuddoc

#1 posted 12-24-2017 09:42 PM

Thanks for the review. We were complaining of the same problem. Ordered two for our shop. Again thanks for the heads-up.

-- Wuddoc

View Holbs's profile

Holbs

1870 posts in 2029 days

#3 posted 12-25-2017 04:12 PM

What really got me about these are the interchangeable lenses and LED light. I think I was using 2.0x and my eyes lose focus if I turn away to look at something else. I had to put my finger up close and draw it away to the saw teeth to keep my eyes focused :)
Also, to easily see the “shiners” when jointing hand saw and the fleam “shiners”, the LED light (though to note this light is no MAGLITE bright) was enough to put a shine on metal to compare new metal vs old metal.
Does not come with a bag or case to store the headset in, which is too bad. I’m sure I can find a little canvas bag around somewhere for that purpose.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#4 posted 12-28-2017 11:10 PM

Thanks for the review. I ordered one!

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.