Built Like A Tank

Review by knotscott posted 1730 days ago 4528 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Built Like A Tank Built Like A Tank Built Like A Tank Click the pictures to enlarge them

I owned a 5615 fixed base a few years back, but had to sell it to finance my bigger 5625. This is one router that I actually repurchased when I saw it on sale.

The 5615-24 is the 8th router I’ve owned (Craftsman 9 amp, Freud FT2000E, Milwaukee 5625, Bosch 1617, Hitachi M12VC, Freud FT1700, and PC690). It’s an extremely well built router. The motor is made in the USA and is very strong for it’s 11 amp rating …plenty strong for most applications. It’s smooth and reasonably quiet. The Body Grip feature is terrific, and the plunger is smooth and easy to operate. The springs in the plunger legs are hidden in the cylinders so there’s no plastic covers to deal with, plus the same plunge base also fits the 13 amp MW5616 (variable speed router). The sub-base will accept the standard PC bushings, and includes both 1/2” and 1/4” collets, as well as a dust port. The bases are interchangeable with the bigger 5616 that has variable speed. There are no above table bit change capabilities…bit changes require two wrenches (old school style). It’s an all around excellent basic router if you don’t need variable speed…note that an outboard speed controller can be added to this router. It’s also been a bonafide bargain at recent sale prices. Best of all…it’s the same color scheme as my MW5625 and my Freud FT1700, which happen to be the same color as my original Craftsman router so it blends nicely in the shop without being noticed by the CFO! (ssshhh…)

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

wish I needed a router … because with your review and the great price,.. it is very tempting

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Thanks, Scott. Your expertise is evident in all of your contributions to this site. I, for one, am grateful.

Having bought my 5625-20 a month or so ago, for router table work, I’m endlessly impressed by its quality and performance.

Good to know other models from their line are of the same caliber!

-- -- Neil

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

that’s a ridiculous price tag for the set… nice find. I really like the strap grip on the Milwaukees

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Thanks Scott for the review, I am looking getting that router.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

Brad_Nailor

Great review Scott…I would like to add that I have owned the fixed base version 5615-24 for about 3 years. I love it…I have used it in a router table and freehand. The body grip is really ergonomic and comfortable and it performed well. The only time I was able to bog it down was when I was cutting 5/8” T1-11 with a flush trim bit…and I don’t blame the router for bogging down, thats a job for a 2HP or better…
I recently inquired at my local Milwaukee dealer into buying just the plunge base and the base plate to do pattern routing. The price I was quoted was only 30 bucks cheaper than buying this whole set on sale. I really wanted my next router to be more powerfull like a 3hp…but this is such a great deal!

5422 posts in 2007 days

You could pick up the kit for $120, sell off the new fixed base router for $75 to $80, and keep the plunger….nice deal for both parties!

nailbanger2

You should work for Milwaukee, scott! You sold me. I just picked it up (I wonder if I can get my lady to believe it’s her christmas present?).

Seriously, tho, what did you think of the pattern guide set (49-54-0700)? I’ve never used guides or bushings in my life, don’t know how they attach, what jigs it would work with, etc., so I didn’t get it. I read one review that said the standard sub base would not work with this set, that you had to get a separate base. I guess I’ll wait til my router gets here and see what it includes. Thank you, Scott. Right now I’m suffering thorough the Ryobi blues, can’t wait til the red tank gets here.

Nailbanger
The guide bushing set you are referring to is really nice. If the router doesn’t come with it already, You need this base with a 1 3/16” center hole. That dimension is pretty standard for template bushings…you can use the Milwaukee or the Porter cable sets. The way they attach is you place the guide bushing in the hole and then you secure it from the top side with a lock nut. The router bit passes though the center sleeve of the guide bushing. Then you make a template to follow and run the outside edge of the sleeve or collar against your template and route the pattern. That is one use for them…you also have to use a similar setup with most production dovetail jigs.

nailbanger2

Thanks for the info, Brad.

5422 posts in 2007 days

I’ve got a Woodcraft pattern set that works well….I’d expect the same from the MW set. The MW combo kit says it includes a sub-base with 1-3/16” hole so you should be all set. Enjoy the bubble bath your lady gives you for Christmas! Lol…

”Kit Includes: Impact Resistant Carrying Case, Dust Shield/Port Assembly Durable, dual-position dust shield/collection system for efficient dust management with or without vacuum, 2 Clear Polycarbonate Sub-bases – Small Hole 1-3/16-inch center & Large Hole 2-1/2-inch center, concentricity gauge for precise centering of template guides, small hole (1-3/16-inch center) sub-base and large (2-1/2 inch center) sub-base assemblies, 2 forged steel collet wrenches, 1/4-inch & 1/2-inch premium 8 slot collet and nut assemblies.”

nailbanger2

Bubble bath? Hey, don’t knock it! A lot of fun can come out of a bottle of that stuff! Seriously, I got my Linda a new Master Bath, just waiting for the oak crown, which came today. I know, I don’t have pics, so it didn’t happen. This will be rectified shortly (I hope). I’m starting to learn a few more things about the site, and have favorited the pic upload tutorial. Anywho, thanks again, Scott.

Brad_Nailor

Wow…that router kit comes with everything but the kitchen sink! I think I want to spend a little more and get the same kit only in the 2 1/4 HP version. The motor for my 5615 fits in those basses as well. I was really looking at the new Triton as the ultimate heavy duty/under the table router.

5422 posts in 2007 days

Yeah, the Triton is supposedly really good under table, but I’m hearing that they have bankruptcy issues…any truth to that? The Freud FT3000 and smaller FT1700 are loaded to the gills with good above table features too. I’ve been really happy with my FT1700, and can only imagine the FT3000 is as convenient and more powerful. I saw one demoed at a show, and fondled it when they weren’t looking ;-), but haven’t tried one in the shop and don’t know how it stacks up side by side with the Triton. I do know that the above table features on the FT1700 have enough appeal to me that I use it more than my MW5625, which is a beast and a fine router. I can’t believe more routers don’t have full above table features….it’s nuts in today’s market. Makita just came out with a new 3hp model that completely missed the boat in that regard….nuts again! I think they’re engineers should be woodworkers, or should at least hang out here more often!

As an aside, I used to water ski alot. The real tournament ski boats are designed by engineers who actually ski, and they’re amazingly well suited for their task…I won’t go into detail, but the little touches that only a serious skier would think of are included, and then some. Tools should have similar design philosophies applied IMHO.

I bought the the same combo last year for $126.00 and I love it.
I installed it in a Skill/Bosh table ( I leave the fixed base in the table even if this table is equipped with a very convenient “quick attachment” which allows to install or to remove the router in seconds) and it works very well for me.
I have the adjustment at my fingers tips , I do not need a lift.
I now installed the router table and the router in my R4511 table saw, which makes a very nice assembly.
You can see pictures here:

Bert

112014 posts in 2209 days

Hey Scott
When your give five stars it really means something . A super review.