Must Read for the Galoot in all of us

Review by WayneC posted 12-01-2009 05:28 AM 2696 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Must Read for the Galoot in all of us No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been looking to pick this book and while I was at the Sacramento Woodworking show I ordered one from the Lee Valley booth. They had a nice discount on the book and the shipping was free.

Chris Schwarz is one of my favorite woodworking authors. He is the editor for Popular Woodworking and Woodworking Magazine. He also has an excellent blog that covers all forms of furnature building, workbench and hand tool topics. He also has produced a number of excellent handplane, tool and woodworking related DVDs.

The book is 312 pages long and is full of information on everything you need to know to about hand planes to get a full appreciation for the different forms of the tools. I belive much of this information comes from past articles and blog entries. The major section of the book include the basics, sharpening, techniques, History and philosophy and reviews of wide variety of planes. If you like handplanes or would like to include them in your woodworking toolkit, I would highly recommend getting a copy.

The book can be ordered from a number of sources including Amazon, Popular Woodworking, and Lee Valley.

The other thing that was an interesting surprise is that I have a plane very similar to the one on the cover (Bedrock 603 with a hock blade)

IMG_1283

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#1 posted 12-01-2009 06:54 AM

I agree. ‘Tis a good book. I’m reading it right now.

-- Jeff, St. Paul, MN

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#2 posted 12-01-2009 02:43 PM

I ordered one, waiting to receive soon. I believe its a good reference.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View gmerteng's profile

gmerteng

#3 posted 12-01-2009 04:25 PM

I love hand planes will have to check out this book.

-- Mert,Oshkosh WI,

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#4 posted 12-01-2009 04:35 PM

I am currently reading one by Garrett Hack. Maybe I will put this one on the list

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View KellyS's profile

KellyS

78 posts in 1956 days

#5 posted 12-01-2009 06:58 PM

I’ve read the book by Garrett Hack and look forward to reading this one. It is on my wish list.

Thanks for the info!
Kelly

-- He who dies with the most tools wins!.....Just wait, I'm going to win!..ERR my wife will at least.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#6 posted 12-04-2009 05:01 AM

I’ve got this book and if you want information about planes start with this one.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................