DW735 / DW735X Dust Collection

Review by DakotaHeirlooms posted 12-19-2017 12:32 AM 2475 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DW735 / DW735X Dust Collection No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently ordered a DW735X to replace my old DW734. Note the difference between the DW735 and the DW735X is that the DW735X comes with an extra set of blades and the extension tables. The machine has worked as advertised so far. I can’t feel any difference on the finish between the 2 speeds. Snipe is negligible. I think the complaints I’ve read about the blades not lasting is because the user is taking too much material at a time.

The only problem that I had with the DW735 is the dust collection, that although much improved over the DW734, I wasn’t able to simply connect the system I had used with the DW734. As a Lumberjacks contributor has previously commented, the ejector fan is very powerful – I made the misteak of turning the machine on with the chip ejection port pointing toward my work bench. The result was that the bench was the cleanest it’s been since I built it many years ago.

I tried to connect my Rockler 4” hose to the DW735, but the 4” accessories that I use to hook up my SawStop to the Rockler wouldn’t fit the DW735. I have a ShopSmith DC3300 with a 2¼” hose, and it wouldn’t fit on the DW735. I went back to the dealer, explained the problem, and the salesman told me how sorry he was, but that didn’t solve the problem. Since I still had the DW734 with a DW7331 Dust Collection hood, and it had a 2¼ adaptor (DeWalt part number 429615-00 at a cost of $6.27), I tried it on the DW735 Chip Ejector, but it was too big.

Then I had a bright idea: What if I wound some duct tape on the Chip Ejector, which would effectively enlarge the outside diameter? But the duct tape didn’t work. When I slid the DW734 2¼” adaptor over the DW735 Chip Ejector, the tape “scrunched” up. Then, I remembered that I had some Gorilla Tape, and tried that. Voila! Success! However, one small problem. I had used too much Gorilla tape, and I couldn’t separate the two pieces. (I did eventually get them apart and removed enough of the tape to hold the two pieces securely, but not so much I couldn’t separate the two).

I hooked up the ShopSmith vacuum and my “modification” worked fine. The only problem was that the chip ejection port is located directly over the outfeed, and could possibly interfere with a board coming out. Back to the internet and found a ShopSmith Vacuum attachment Elbow (part number 514521 at $7.76) that mated with the DW734 Adaptor. While I was on the ShopSmith site, I also ordered a Hose Connector (part number 515430 at $6.89) so I can hook two 2½” hoses together.

The whole process proves my theory that if you give a Norvegian enough black coffee and Gorilla Tape, wonderful things will happen.

—Harry Sorenson

-- Harry Sorenson

View DakotaHeirlooms's profile

DakotaHeirlooms

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#1 posted 12-19-2017 06:10 AM

the chip ejector is so strong you only need to put a hose on it and run it into the lid of a trashcan you really do not need added suction I used 4’ hose and have not had any issues but most of the time I just let it turn into mulch outside and let it spray the 20 or so feet it will shoot them on its own

View DakotaHeirlooms's profile

DakotaHeirlooms

#2 posted 12-19-2017 01:44 PM

I tried directing the hose into a trash can, but the chip ejector is so powerful, the chips flew out of the trash can as fast they went in. I don’t really have to turn on my ShopSmith dust collector – the DW735 inflates the bag. I did read (somewhere) that DW735 user tied a pillowcase to his hose to collect the chips .

-- Harry Sorenson

View lew's profile

lew

#3 posted 12-19-2017 03:37 PM

I made this knockoff of a thing that Dewalt sold-

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

433 posts in 1997 days

#4 posted 12-19-2017 05:43 PM

I use a 2” Shop Vac hose which I duct taped to the exhaust fitting. Works great. I made a Thiele separator top for my garbage can and feed the Shop Vac hose into that.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#5 posted 12-20-2017 03:16 PM

For a few years before I had a dust collection system, I just hung a grain bag on my exhaust port and used a radiator hose clamp. Worked fine

View Putttn's profile

Putttn

#6 posted 12-23-2017 02:00 AM

Saw somewhere a guy used a pillow case to catch the chips. Tried it and its’ worked fine for me.

-- Bill eastern Washington Home of beloved ZAGS

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

3287 posts in 2016 days

#7 posted 12-24-2017 03:07 PM

I have my DW735 hooked to my dust collector and can only pull about 260 cfm from it. While it has a 4” connection it is really only about 2-1/2” . This works fine and collects 99% of the chips.

View AAL's profile

AAL

#8 posted 12-24-2017 03:20 PM

I use the 4” Dust Right tool port http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4-tool-ports. Fits perfectly.

-- "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill