Veritas Inset Vise

Review by DreganTepis posted 12-18-2017 09:28 PM 1316 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Inset Vise Veritas Inset Vise No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Item Page

I’ve been asked several times about this vise, as it’s been seen in my pictures. So I decided to write this up.

Installation was very easy! A router with a fence and a long straight bit will have this installed in under an hour. Just use the included dimensions, and don’t forget the through-holes so dust has somewhere to go.

I’ve used this on 4 projects now since installing it last summer. The multiple jaws (including ones you can make) are great, the install was easy, and it works well for planning and joinery.

I like it a lot, but there is a cutoff point in use. It’s not a powerhouse. I use it to hold things in place, not as an extra clamp. It has an aluminum carriage, and a steel screw. I could see it being damaged from over tightening. If you stay within that limitation you’ll love it. If you tend to crank on things, this probably isn’t for you.

-- Red pencil, red marker, marking knife... doesn't mater, the wood will end up the same color.

View Hazem's profile

Hazem

#1 posted 12-19-2017 07:36 PM

Great bench.

I’m thinking of getting this vise to hold boards while planing. Is it strong enough to do that?

Thanks.

#2 posted 12-19-2017 07:39 PM

Great bench.

I m thinking of getting this vise to hold boards while planing. Is it strong enough to do that?

Thanks.

- Hazem

Absolutely. Its plenty strong for normal operations, I just don’t expect it to survive trying to get pipe-clamp force from it. Though in most cases a planing stop is all that’s required. Look towards the left end of the bench for the Veritas one I use.

View Hazem's profile

Hazem

#3 posted 12-20-2017 04:49 PM

Thank you. I’ll give this vise serious consideration.

God bless.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#4 posted 12-20-2017 04:56 PM

This review is interesting, as I considered adding this vise to my bench long ago. Thanks for posting.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

#5 posted 12-20-2017 05:01 PM

- Smitty_Cabinetshop

Thanks… I am obviously not a writer, and its a vise so there’s not a lot to say… but so many people asked about it. If there’s anything I can add to make it better please let me know.

View Scan's profile

Scan

#6 posted 01-29-2018 03:29 AM

I was just admiring how beautiful your workbench is. It’s a work of art in it’s self

#7 posted 01-29-2018 03:00 PM

I was just admiring how beautiful your workbench is. It s a work of art in it s self

- Scan

Thank you sir! There’s a post in my projects about it.