Deciding on the Fuji Mini-Mite 4 with T75G gun

Review by toneinvic posted 12-15-2017 03:54 PM 1501 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deciding on the Fuji Mini-Mite 4 with T75G gun No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’d like to give a quick review on my hunt for an HVLP system and my Fuji Spray Mini-Mite 4 experience.
First off I just want to say that I had no previous experience what so ever spraying post-catalyzed lacquer (or much of anything for that matter). I read every HVLP review I could find and watched every video on Youtube before I decided on the Mini-Mite 4. I don’t remember what review I read (or watched) but I remember the comment that the more powerful turbines are more forgiving. I figured that without any experience I needed all the forgiveness I could get. Once I decided on Fuji (I couldn’t find any bad review on Fuji) and the 4 stage compressor I really struggled with whether to buy the Q4 (quiet) or the mini-mite 4. For me, I decided that I’d save the 300 bux and wear some hearing protection if I found it too loud. I have to say that it’s not that loud at all, especially when you consider that the turbine is sitting at the end of 25+ feet of air hose. I’d say it kind of sounds like a shopvac running in the distance (not too loud).
So getting down to the actual review of the equipment. It’s awesome. Super easy to setup and really forgiving. All the adjustments are easy and effective. For my first project I was spraying some cabinets and doors (two coats of catalyzed primer and one coat of catalyzed lacquer finish). By the end of the primer application (around 1 hour of spraying) I think I had a pretty good handle on how to fine tune the gun to get the desired spray pattern and thickness. The doors I sprayed had a bead detail which required a very fine mist with a narrow pattern to get into the crevices. Then the main body of the door(s) required more product with a wide spray pattern. Adjusting the gun on the fly is so simple and intuitive.
I didn’t want this to be a long review so I’ll end with my overall impression:
The Fuji Spray Mini-Mite 4 with the T75G (gravity feed) gun is a great product. I am very happy with it and as a result I am way more likely to spray future projects rather that manual method I used in the past. #FujiSpray

View toneinvic's profile

toneinvic

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#1 posted 12-15-2017 04:47 PM

I appreciate this review. These type sprayers are foreign to me, as my life of finishing has all been hand-applied products. I want to try a sprayer of this type, and have recently begun to investigate them via reading reviews and comments.

This model at circa 800 bucks is more than I want to spend any time soon, but maybe it is what needs to be spent if you are going to get one at all.

Thank you for posting this.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

#2 posted 12-15-2017 05:27 PM

excellent choice

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 12-15-2017 06:52 PM

I’ve owned/used a Fuji for at least 5 years. I really like it for most applications. Recently I ordered a bunch of spare parts, tips, and needles since the model l I own is no longer in production. I hadn’t worried about spare parts or placements since it works so well. About the only thing I have to routinely change out is the filter over the air inlets. Occasionally I will also blow out the motor to make sure it is clear.

My model is really loud but that is what ear muffs are for. Beyond that, there can be a fair amount of overspray which means that if I spray several pieces, the shop fills with overspray which settles on everything including the freshly finished pieces. Often I will set up a spray booth by draping plastic over the garage door rails and taping them together to make a “room” with a drop cloth on the floor. I also turn on the air filter which has it’s good and bad points.

All in all, I really like mine and I think you will too.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 12-17-2017 01:05 AM

No offense, but I guess I just don’t get it.
I’ve used a 30 gallon 5HP air compressor with two outlets, one at 110PSI, and one at 40PSI with a water capture unit, total cost about $425.
From there I hook up a pretty standard HVLP gun, (in my case usually a Harbor Freight $9.99 unit), and go from there.

The results are dynamic, smooth, and I can lay anything from lightweight lacquer to heavyweight water based stain.

Total cost, under $450.

For me, these high cost gravity feed units are way overpriced, and I just can’t see a $400 difference, since I am getting mirror smooth finishes. I don’t know what you get, but my customers are very happy with my finishes.

Again, no offense, but I don’t see the reason for the cost, the extra engineering in the equipment.
After all, it is what lays down on the wood and how that looks that counts, not how it was pressurized, atomized, or flew through the air.
Apologies, but I just don’t get these high end spray units.
My 5HP air compressor is almost 20 years old, and if I want to, I just trash the HF sprayer after each use, at $9.99 each.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View toneinvic's profile

toneinvic

#5 posted 12-17-2017 03:26 AM

Well I guess from your point of view there is no advantage to going the route I did.
I also have a large compressor and a cheap HVLP gun but I have never been happy with the result (that’s why I never use it).
I can tell you that the Fuji unit works well (really well) rite out of the box with no messing around. Yes it’s expensive but I have learned that, for the most part, you get what you pay for.
Honestly, if you are getting the results from your set up that you describe, I would stick with it. For me, I needed better equipment.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 12-17-2017 01:31 PM

Please, take no offense. There are other tools that I have spent mucho dollars on, when there were other options. Each to his/her own, and as long as we are happy making things out of wood, that is the real point.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View AlmostRetired's profile

AlmostRetired

#7 posted 12-17-2017 06:44 PM

Great review and great recommendation about the other that were available for us cheap guys. Gonn have to give that a try when I get home.