Review by DeLayne Peck posted 12-09-2017 05:23 AM 2654 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
BLACK+DECKER BDH2010LP Platinum 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Battery Cordless Hand Vacuum No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Small annoying messes, they accumulate around the drill press, on workbenches, and in inaccessible nooks and crannies. Until I pirated this cordless vac from the house, small piles were spread everywhere in my shop. The choice is: Leave a mess or haul a shop vac over.

The 20v Max brings powerful suction to small jobs. Much more than the dustbusters of yore. Small chips, sawdust, debris, cookie crumbs and dirt quickly vanish. Obviously, there are limits to what can be picked up. Spilled Cheetos, for instance, are mostly too long. They get caught in the bend and clog the intake. But, it does have a large enough capacity. Dumping the Max is easy and familiar. Push a button, release the motor housing off, remove the filter insert and dump.

My Max lives under my workbench on its recharging platter ready to fly the next mission. It is light, very portable, and well built with ABS plastic. I appreciate the flip-up brush and pull-out extension for small hard to reach areas. Given the limited role Max plays, I have as yet to deplete lithium-ion battery in everyday use.

The Platinum 20V Max is one of a large family of hand vacs offered by B&D. Click here to see the lineup.

Why get caught? If you work like I do with a shop apron stuffed with Toasteds, club crackers, cookies, and cigarettes, I highly recommend the Max Platinum.

-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 12-17-2017 01:14 AM

I bought the HF unit, (it is not cordless), for $26.40 with a 20% off coupon.

I find that it is very useful for small pickups, and although not cordless, you could buy a couple of these, and station them around your shop for small pickups. Mine will hold about 1.5 gallons of stuff before you have to empty it. I keep mine by my small lathe that I use for pens.
Cheap is the key here. $26.40 is just silly cheap, and the thing has a powerful vacuum.
I think, looking at the lineup, you paid somewhere around $55-69 for yours. Not bad mouthing it, the cordless feature is great, but considering where I use these little vacuums, my cheapo HF does me just fine.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View DeLayne Peck's profile

DeLayne Peck

#2 posted 12-17-2017 08:04 AM

Sounds like a really good, inexpensive way to go. I have no less 4 than Craiglist vacs dedicated the big sawdust producers. The cordless feature helps me get around the lack of available electrical outlets in my garage shop.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#3 posted 12-17-2017 01:37 PM

Then that is the proper solution for you. I use a leaf blower I bought, corded electric, for when I want to blow down my whole shop, so there you go! (I do have to make sure any plans, paperwork, etc., are tagged down!)
Now, if I could only find a solution to that really fine film of dust that always seems to film up a lot of my machines. It never seems to get any thicker, just that little filmy bit.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#4 posted 12-18-2017 04:34 AM

I bought one of those after my Craftsman cordless one flailed to hold a charge between uses.

This, in my opinion, is probably the best B&D vac I have had as I have had three other B&D cordless units with NiCAD batteries which all died because of a poor charging system.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"