Good Resource for Toy Building

Review by MsDebbieP posted 11-30-2009 08:26 PM 1364 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Resource for Toy Building No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(this review was first posted in the August 2009 eMag)

When I first picked up this book I was immediately inspired to make some toys. Each of the 15 projects are now on my “to do” list and I think I can make them all. The step-by-step directions and photos make the process easy to follow and do-able!

Although there are almost a dozen pages dedicated to tools and jigs, this book is not about teaching how to use the lathe. It’s about creating vintage toys. Each project is presented in a enticing, fun, and colourful format, complete with the “how to” information as well as tips on adapting the plans and using the toy.

In order to review “Turning Vintage Toys” I thought I should try my hand at making one of the projects. Now, my experience on the lathe at that time was, well, exactly seven pens. That’s it. Limited skill and limited tools. But that cute little mouse, the first project in the book, just begged to be made. Following Chris Reid’s clear instructions I worked my way through the steps and I proudly made a mouse! Now, it didn’t look exactly like the one in the book but it was definitely a mouse. And that funny little mouse was soon joined by two more – each one cuter than the last.

Click for details

While following the directions I realized how much about turning I have learned at LumberJocks.com. As I said, “Turning Vintage Toys” is not written to teach how to turn, although there are many turning tips scattered throughout the book, but with some basic knowledge the directions are easily completed – as proved by my nest of mice! My confidence level has grown leaps and bounds and now maybe I’ll try making the Skittles Game.

My Ratings of The Book
Layout and Appearance: Colourful, fun, concise. Thumbs Up!
Instructions: Easy to follow, not a lot of reading to do. Thumbs Up!
Project Selection: Fun. Fun. Fun. Can’t wait to make them all. Thumbs Up!
Overall: Thumbs Up!

“Turning Vintage Toys” is definitely a book to have in your collection if you have children, grandchildren, make toys for charities, or just are young at heart!

View bigbuddha's profile

bigbuddha

161 posts in 1916 days

#1 posted 11-30-2009 09:42 PM

Thanks for the review!! Looks like a lot of fun projects :)

-- helen

View Roz's profile

Roz

#2 posted 11-30-2009 10:43 PM

I guess I need to get a lathe.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

#3 posted 11-30-2009 11:13 PM

everyone needs a lathe.
fact.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#4 posted 09-22-2010 09:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mads. This link is for you – enjoy.

That looks like a very good book and I know Fox Chapel. I’ll check it out.

Thanks