Space Age Ceramics bandsaw guides

Review by newwoodbutcher posted 12-07-2017 07:09 AM 1454 views 3 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Space Age Ceramics bandsaw guides No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have two bandsaws, a newer 18” Rikon and an old Cast Iron 16” Grizzly. The Rikon is permanently set up to resew and the Grizzly is set up with a 1/4” blade for curved work. I installed Space Age Ceramics Guides on the Ricon over a year ago and have had Carter Guides on the Grizzly for about two years. Both saws get a lot of use in my shop. After resewing a lot of Hardwood making veneers for over a year now on the Rikon, I am very happy with the Ceramic guides. They are not showing any sign of wear and have never required re adjusting. They are just great guides. Set up with the Carter Guides and the original bearing guides has always been a bit finicky to set up for me, with the round shape of the bearings, It’s a very small surface to gauge the distances from the blade. I’m never sure I have equal and minimal gap between the bearings and the blade. On the other hand, the Space Age Ceramics guides (photo) are rectangular and that makes them dead easy to set up minimizing the gap and set up was a breeze, Took about five minutes. This technology is in my opinion, just for set up much superior to round bearings. Maybe its just me. When the Carter Guide bearings in my Grizzly started to screech, and since I am so happy with the Space Age Ceramics guides on my other saw, I decided to try the them with the narrow blade set up on the Grizzly instead of replacing the Carter bearings. Once again, I am delighted with this set up. Because of the Ceramic material, I expect these guides to last the rest of my woodworking life, really. I’m thinking like the ones on my Rikon, guides will never be a worry to think about again. I highly recommend them. Mark at Space Age Ceramics was very helpful and responsive helping me get the right guides and bushings for my old saw. I have no affiliation with these folks, just a very happy customer.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#1 posted 12-08-2017 12:18 AM

Thanks for review. I’ll check out Space Age for my 14” Grizzly.

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View richardchaos's profile

richardchaos

#2 posted 12-10-2017 01:50 PM

I fail to see why they are different to COOL BLOCKS

-- “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell

#3 posted 12-10-2017 03:59 PM

Richard, I don’t know Cool Blocks so I can’t respond Do you have Cool Blocks?

View richardchaos's profile

richardchaos

#4 posted 12-14-2017 01:12 PM

They are a composite of Graphite and some sort of fiber. They are very slippery and it doesn’t matter if your blade cuts into them…. I used them on my ole Shopsmith bandsaw. You can even place them ahead of the blades teeth so they surround the entire blade. When they get ate up you simply sand them smooth again!

Richard, I don t know Cool Blocks so I can t respond Do you have Cool Blocks?

- newwoodbutcher

#5 posted 12-14-2017 05:15 PM

They are a composite of Graphite and some sort of fiber. They are very slippery and it doesn t matter if your blade cuts into them…. I used them on my ole Shopsmith bandsaw. You can even place them ahead of the blades teeth so they surround the entire blade. When they get ate up you simply sand them smooth again!

Thank you, they look interesting, the Space Age Ceramics guides are very hard ceramic, after a year of heavy resawing there is hardly any sign of wear even on the thrust bearing. The Cool Blocks look like they would be especially good at holding a thin blade during scroll work.how long have you had them

Richard, I don t know Cool Blocks so I can t respond Do you have Cool Blocks?

- newwoodbutcher

- richardchaos

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 12-17-2017 01:18 AM

Are the ceramic blocks capable of dulling an edge on a bandsaw, should you have it slightly mis-adjusted when setting up.
Just curious. The idea seems head and shoulders above the old cool-blocks.
But there is just something about a non-turning block that brings heat and friction to mind, no matter how slick the properties of the ceramic. Maybe I am wrong…

I think for now, I will stick to my bearing setup, but these seem to demand a second look. Good review, and thanks!

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#7 posted 12-19-2017 04:44 AM

Tennessee,
I’m quite sure that if the Guides were to make contact with the spinning teeth of the blade it would severely Dammage the blade, and perhaps the ceramic guides as well. Something I hadn’t considered. I think the nature of the ceramic material is such that friction is very low and heat buildup shouldn’t be a concern in use, at lease it hasn’t been with my resew set up.