Space Age Ceramics bandsaw guides

Review by newwoodbutcher posted 12-07-2017 07:09 AM 726 views 3 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Space Age Ceramics bandsaw guides No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have two bandsaws, a newer 18” Rikon and an old Cast Iron 16” Grizzly. The Rikon is permanently set up to resew and the Grizzly is set up with a 1/4” blade for curved work. I installed Space Age Ceramics Guides on the Ricon over a year ago and have had Carter Guides on the Grizzly for about two years. Both saws get a lot of use in my shop. After resewing a lot of Hardwood making veneers for over a year now on the Rikon, I am very happy with the Ceramic guides. They are not showing any sign of wear and have never required re adjusting. They are just great guides. Set up with the Carter Guides and the original bearing guides has always been a bit finicky to set up for me, with the round shape of the bearings, It’s a very small surface to gauge the distances from the blade. I’m never sure I have equal and minimal gap between the bearings and the blade. On the other hand, the Space Age Ceramics guides (photo) are rectangular and that makes them dead easy to set up minimizing the gap and set up was a breeze, Took about five minutes. This technology is in my opinion, just for set up much superior to round bearings. Maybe its just me. When the Carter Guide bearings in my Grizzly started to screech, and since I am so happy with the Space Age Ceramics guides on my other saw, I decided to try the them with the narrow blade set up on the Grizzly instead of replacing the Carter bearings. Once again, I am delighted with this set up. Because of the Ceramic material, I expect these guides to last the rest of my woodworking life, really. I’m thinking like the ones on my Rikon, guides will never be a worry to think about again. I highly recommend them. Mark at Space Age Ceramics was very helpful and responsive helping me get the right guides and bushings for my old saw. I have no affiliation with these folks, just a very happy customer.

-- Ken

View newwoodbutcher's profile

newwoodbutcher

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

#1 posted 12-08-2017 12:18 AM

Thanks for review. I’ll check out Space Age for my 14” Grizzly.

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View richardchaos's profile (online now)

richardchaos

#2 posted 12-10-2017 01:50 PM

I fail to see why they are different to COOL BLOCKS

-- β€œIn a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell

View newwoodbutcher's profile

newwoodbutcher

#3 posted 12-10-2017 03:59 PM

Richard, I don’t know Cool Blocks so I can’t respond Do you have Cool Blocks?

-- Ken