Makita Cordless Track Saw

Review by Bobmedic posted 12-04-2017 03:26 AM 2158 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita Cordless Track Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently bought this saw during a promotion. Kit comes with saw, 4-5ah batteries, dual port charger, 55” guide rail, 2 sustainer cases. First cut with this saw was a straight line rip in 8/4 hard maple. The saw made the cut with zero difficulty and left an edge that looked like it had been hand planed. It was a perfect glue line rip. The next cut was a crosscut in the same material. It left the end grain so smooth that it didn’t require any sanding. I put the saw to further tests in 1/4” chip prone luan plywood and 3/4” melamine. The luan was perfect on the rail side and had very little fuzz on the offcut. The melamine I did a backwards scoring cut with the scoring feature of the saw and then plunged to full depth and finished the cut. The cut line was so crisp I actually cut my hand on the sharp edge. There was no tear out whatsoever. The saw doesn’t have a riving knife like some of it’s competitors but I haven’t experienced any kickback. BTW all of the cuts were made with the stock blade. 165mm 55 tooth 20mm arbor 1.6mm kerf. I absolutely love this saw and in combination with the MFT style table I made with the Parf Guide System (previously reviewed) I can make perfect straight and square cuts with minimal effort.

View Bobmedic's profile

Bobmedic

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 12-04-2017 04:51 PM

That looks like a very nice setup. How much did it set you back? And did it come with the track? or was that a separate purchase?

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Andre's profile

Andre

2068 posts in 1954 days

#2 posted 12-04-2017 06:37 PM

Was the saw I was going to buy a couple of years ago but store had the Dewalt on sale that came with short and long track. I only use it for knocking down sheet material and it works extremely well.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Bobmedic's profile

Bobmedic

#3 posted 12-04-2017 06:54 PM

- Mainiac Matt

It came with the track and an extra set of batteries for 499

View kevinkelly016's profile

kevinkelly016

#4 posted 12-05-2017 10:47 AM

Thanks for a great review like always. I always follow your site for great reviews. https://tweakboxapp.info/

View 01ntrain's profile

01ntrain

#5 posted 12-05-2017 10:48 PM

Cool setup. The big thing that I don’t like about my Dewalt Track Saw is the cord, it’s a bit unwieldy at times.

View apontesgarage's profile

apontesgarage

#6 posted 12-06-2017 07:54 PM

I am selling my corded Makita Track saw so I can buy the cordless I can’t wait! What’s a good price for a corded Tracksaw w/Track?

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#7 posted 12-06-2017 09:34 PM

I have the same saw, I agree with everything you wrote.

The one area to be concerned is joining two tracks to make a long one. I have heard it can be a challenge to get two tracks to align and work just right. In my case I plan on purchasing the longer track when the need arises.

Cordless tools have come a long way in past couple of year and have reached a performance level were being cordless outweighs any downsides it may have compared to a corded version of the same tool.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#8 posted 12-07-2017 05:09 AM

Cool setup. The big thing that I don t like about my Dewalt Track Saw is the cord, it s a bit unwieldy at times.

- 01ntrain

but ten years from now the corded saw will still work as good as it did before… have the Dewalt corded also and love it just which the replacement zero clearance rubber strips were cheaper

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#9 posted 02-06-2018 07:06 PM

Since cordless power tool switched from NiCad to Lithium I am okay with having to replace batteries every 5 year if need be. But based on my 6+ year old lithium batteries I think getting 10 of of them might be possible. Much will depend on how you use and treat the the batteries. There are still tools that I prefer use that are not cordless (impact guns, nailers, worm drive saws, sanders) so it depend on your needs. If the battery can be worn out in a single use or there is just not the power available from batteries, it’s corded, air driven or gas powered for me.