Great cordless drill for an awesome price

Review by mnorusis posted 11-30-2009 06:34 PM 13739 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great cordless drill for an awesome price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I never go shopping on Black Friday…ever. Except that on Thursday morning I saw Home Depot advertising this Dewal drill for $99 (regularly $199).

So I dragged my butt out of bed at 6am to go buy one.

I have been using an older B&D corded drill that was given to me by a family member. It ceratinly gets the job done, but I have issues with non-hex bits slipping when using larger bits as well as some other minor issues. When I saw this drill for $99, including the drill, case, 2 batteries and a charging station, I figured now was as good a time as any to get a new drill. I’m a big fan of Dewalt tools in general. I have not had any bad exp. with them and love that they come in good sturday cases.

I’ve used this drill 3 times since purchasing it 3 days ago, including pocket hole assemply of a coffee table frame, and I absolutely love it. The weight (5.2 lbs.) is great for extended use and the many settings have allowed me to do anything I’ve needed to get done.

Admittedly I do not have many different drills to compare against, but I’d say that I definitely got a steal.

At that price, I’d buy another one if I could find an excuse to do so.

Highly recommended.

View mnorusis's profile

mnorusis

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#1 posted 11-30-2009 06:51 PM

I’ve had this one for a while now and it’s great. I’m certainly not a power user but I’ve used it for light jobs all the way to driving in a days worth of screws for a deck. The charger is fast and the batteries hold the charge well. I also love the various settings and the power this tool delivers. I agree with the 5 star rating, it’s hard to come up with anything negative about this tool.

On a side note, this was my first cordless DeWalt tool and since then I’ve picked up the flashlight (almost a must have;) and the jigsaw that work with it (another fine buy/tool) and at some point I’ll break down and get the circular saw. BUT, this tool is one of the best ones in my arsenal as well. Congrats on the purchase!

View mnorusis's profile

mnorusis

#2 posted 11-30-2009 07:28 PM

I agree on the charging. 1 hour to fully charge the battery is great, especially since it comes with 2.

fyi, still available on homedepot.com and lowes.com for $99, so I guess I didn’t have to drag myself out of bed at 6am Friday morning…oh well.

View AJJ's profile

AJJ

#3 posted 11-30-2009 08:26 PM

I also bought one at Lowes. I was looking for Li-Ion batteries to replace the nicad ones I have for my full size DeWalt 18V drill and saw this buy. I love the original 18v and this new compact is just as nice. I used it on a closet shelving project yesterday. 5 stars!!

-- AJJ, Eugene OR

View Mcnervy's profile

Mcnervy

#4 posted 12-06-2009 04:43 PM

I scored one also
Great drill
Easier on the arms then my bosch 24V

-- Bennett; If it can't be fixed with a hammer its an electical problem

#5 posted 12-08-2009 06:55 AM

I just picked this up at ACE Hardware for $79 after rebate !! : ) I can’t wait to use it ! I also scored a Makita 10.8 volt Lith-Ion kit for $80..normally $150 : )

View learnin2do's profile

learnin2do

#6 posted 08-10-2010 07:08 AM

Mine came from there too -it was a birthday gift from my man – my full size would not hold charge any more.
I killed the new one’s second gear somehow within 6 months or so.
Now i have killed his -the chuck is stripping or something -so neither holds a bit for long – it is crazy-making.

-so…i’ve managed to kill 3 of these in 5 years (2 in less than a year)
-so…was i supposed to make use of those hard cases?

-can you morph the good parts from each?

-- christine

#7 posted 08-10-2010 11:55 PM

I’m not exactly thrilled with the chuck that came on mine. The way it is designed , sometimes it doesn’t grip the bit tightly enough . Other than that , no complaints so far : )

View MikeOB's profile

MikeOB

#8 posted 11-21-2010 03:45 PM

Noticed Ace will be selling this again for 89.99 this year for black friday.

-- Mike, Portage, WI

#9 posted 11-22-2010 05:39 AM

Mine is holding up very well and the only issue to date is with tightening the chuck as I mentioned previously.