12” Grizzly G0609X spiral head jointer

Review by a1Jim posted 1724 days ago 7170 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
12” Grizzly G0609X  spiral head jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

12” Grizzly G0609X spiral head jointer

An LJ friend asked if I could do a review on my 12”spiral head Grizzly jointer. having never reviewed a large piece of machinery before excuse me if I miss details but I’ll give it a go. I have owned my 12” jointer For about a year. When delivered I had lift gate service and a couple of small dollies made by HF rated at 1000 lbs since This jointer is rated at about 1050 lbs. It was packed well in a nice wooden crate and took some time to uncrate it and keep shifting blocks under the jointer to get the packing out from under this large piece of equipment.
After getting the packing off buy myself I left the jointer on my two little dollies and rolled it in my shop. I started the assembly and cleaning off the coating (always my least favorite part of the getting new equipment) I use lacquer thinner for bare metal and mineral spirits on painter surfaces. As II recall the assembly was minor and straight forward with out any hitches.
The finishes of the bed and surfaces were surprisingly good with a much fine surface than my Laguna band saw.
The bed and fence were straight and easy to adjust. The dust shoot is fully enclosed and seems to work well with out clogs or back up. The cutters(60 in all) are square in design made to turn if chipped, you just loosen the Allen screw and turn each cutter as needed one turn leaving two more turns to use having a total of for cutting edges per insert. Since I’ve purchased this jointer I have not had to even turn one insert once these cutters cost about $23 for 10 pack. This jointer gives clean flat cuts in even highly figured woods better than jointer I have had previously used or owned. This jointer is also much quieter than any other jointer I’ve owned or used.
This jointers bed is about 7’ long and about 13” wide. The jointer has pull out handles for adjustment of the beds, that makes it convenient and out of the way when using the jointer. I have only good things to say about this jointer,

Things that might be considered when thinking about the purchase of this jointer,

#1 it’s size , It’s big and it’s heavy. #2 it’s maximum cut is 1/8” #3 It takes a 220 20 amp breaker to run this machine. #4 to my knowledge there is not a factory made stand available (I still use my 2 HF dollies) #5 It’s expensive around $2600 with shipping( but still far less than others)

Here are the specifications
· Motor: 3 HP, 220V, single-phase
· Amps: 18
· Precision-ground cast iron table
· Table size: 12-3/4” x 83-1/2”
· Floor to table height: 31-11/16”
· Maximum depth of cut: 1/8”
· Rabbeting capacity: 3/4”
· Cutterhead diameter: 3-3/4”
· Cutterhead: Spiral with indexable carbide inserts
· Cutterhead speed: 4,950 RPM
· Power transfer: Double V-belt drive
· Switch: Magnetic with thermal overload protection
· Fence system: positive stops @±45° & 90°
· Approximate shipping weight: 1,059 lbs.
FEATURES:
· Parallelogram table movement
· Pedestal-mounted switch controls
· Center mounted fence
· Fine handwheel control
· Infeed and outfeed tables have handwheels for convenient table height adjustment
· 5” dust port

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Great review Jim, thanks!

I still have this on my wish list even though I really can’t justify it.

Maybe I’ll just get one anyway. :-)

I could just get the one without the spiral heads for $1795 and free shipping.

Do you think the spiral head is worth the extra $755?

Does yours have the Shelix head or the Grizzly head? If it’s the Grizzly on, they sell it for $550 so maybe I could save $180 and install it myself. I would then end up with both kind of cutter heads.

View OhValleyWoodandWool's profile

OhValleyWoodandWool

Great review, great machine. Just makes me want one even more.

-- "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then Success is sure." Mark Twain

Your welcome Gary
When I bought mine I was planning on making this the last in my upgrades for jointers having had a 8”powermatic before this 12” and I didn’t want to have to be sorry I hadn’t got the spiral head. At the same time I bought a Grizzly 20” spiral head planner that has been great also. I would do it again. I feel it does a much better job on all wood but particularly figured woods. Having a number of cutters it does not shear with one long blade it has all the separate cutters that handles all the different textures in curly maple or birds-eye.
I don’t want to talk you in to any thing because the woods and use of each persons jointer my be different.
If you consider the spiral head you might see if Grizzly will be offering free shipping closer to Christmas,They have done it before. My spiral head is Grizzly’s . I think I read a review here on LJs of someone who had purchased the shelix and installed it and wished they hadn’t.

View degoose's profile

degoose

6990 posts in 1978 days

Jim while I can not even get Grizzly here in the land down under… I do appreciate the fine machinery…. and I am impressed with both the tool and the review..Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know about it… It has certainly given me food for thought as to the spiral heads.. I am currently using a cheap chinese knock off 6’’ jointer… with much success I might add but IMAGINE the difference one of these buggers would make… on my list of I WANTS.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

Jim, this is a nice review. I have a lot of respect for Grizzly tools and have been considering upgrading my 6” PM. If I do so (and can find the room in my shop) this one would be at the top of my list. I am like Gary in that I am not sure about going with a spiral head cutter is the right path for me since I do not work with figured woods. But like you said I am a firm believer that, when it comes to tools, I would rather have the added capabilities and not need them rather than finding later that I do need them after all.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

Wonderful review, This was struck from my wish list when I watched Gary’s shop tour video and noticed he had a 6” delta jointer, I commented on how nice it was to see something like that in a heavy duty shop and that it was good to see you didn’t need a $2000 jointer to make great furniture. Well it is back on the list now, although well down on the list, probably try a $800 grizzley first.
Thanks

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

Good review, A grizzly 8” might be on my short list for next year. Spiral cutters sound good,

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

good review Jim, I would like to have a 12” jointer, but I don’t think I could find it in my budget ( at least according to loml) I do think that the spiral head would be a big plus.

-- Smitty!!!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

Does it come with an F-14 Tomcat? ;)

It’s a beautiful piece of machinery. Definitely more jointer than I would ever need but beautiful none the less.. :)

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Wow. Great review of what sounds like a great tool!

Thanks, Jim.

[note to self: STOP looking at the Grizzly catalog!]

-- -- Neil

View oldwoodman's profile

137 posts in 2022 days

Jim,

Thank you for the review of the 12” Grizzly jointer. I have looked at this jointer in the Grizzly catalog and wondered what kind of woodworking would require such a jointer.

For most home or small shop woodworkers, a 6” jointer would be sufficient, since a jointer is used mostly for jointing the edges of boards. However, an 8” or 12” jointer is purchased for its face-jointing capability.

Therefore, what kind of woodworking do you do that requires this large jointer? I am sure you did not buy it just to have the “largest, baddest, jointer” on the planet.

Let me say as well, that I appreciate your contributions to this forum. I like hearing from the voice of experience. You, and quite a few others, have contributed greatly to my learning about woodworking.

112008 posts in 2201 days

Thanks everyone . I hope the review helped anyone interested in such a beast.
oldwoodman
Need is all in the mind of the purchaser . I guess I wanted a 12” jointer because it always seemed I wanted to face joint a board that was 8 1/2” or 9” and would have to rip the board in half and glue back together. I mostly found I needed the 12” when having to do solid wood panels of case work. Could I have done it another way? Sure, but I’m not that fond of hand planning and I like good tools.

View Mike's profile

Mike

247 posts in 2007 days

Thanks Jim for the great review!

-- Mike, VT

View oldwoodman's profile

137 posts in 2022 days

Jim,

Thanks for your response. I always enjoy reading your comments and insights.

View BlankMan's profile

BlankMan

1487 posts in 1977 days

Nice review Jim. I’ve been thinking about getting a Shelix for my jointer so it’s good to hear that that design works well in figured woods.

-- -Curt, Milwaukee, WI