A lot of saw for the money

Review by Lunchmeat79 posted 11-27-2017 05:42 PM 1401 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A lot of saw for the money A lot of saw for the money A lot of saw for the money Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey everybody, I’ve been lurking on here for quite a while and decided I might as well make my first post.

I’ve been making a bunch of small boxes the last year or so and have been using 1/4” ply for the bottoms. I’ve been wanting to start using solid wood but 3/4” is way too bulky for that in my opinion. Also I don’t want to plane away 2/3 of a plank into chips to get to 1/4”. My conclusion to this is the get a small band saw and a planer so I can resaw a board, glue it up and have book matched lids and bottoms.

One thing I have going for me is the limited sizes of my projects, as most of my boxes are only 7 or 8 inches wide so huge capacity isn’t important to me. This saw has 4 5/8” resaw capabilities so that’s a 9” plank. I found the Rikon 10” saw first but quickly learned that the craftsman 21400 is the same saw for alot less money. I picked mine up today at Sears for $177 out the door. I’ve only had it a few hours but the setup was easy and it required almost no adjustments out of the box. Total time putting it together and dialing it in was about 45 minutes.

I’ve barely had a chance to play with it but so far I am really impressed. 99% metal construction. I assume the pulleys are aluminum and have been balanced, the body is pretty thick steel and the table is a nice slab of iron. The knobs are about the only plastic parts on it. The fence is pretty weak and the miter gauge seems like a toy, however. Also the miter gauge slot also isn’t the standard size. I may get a magnetic fence for it and can rig up something for the miter gauge slot to allow me to attach a feather board.

As far as performance, I’ve got to admit I am kind of blown away! I was just using the supplied blade but easily and quickly was able to resaw a 3 3/4”x 9” piece of hard maple scrap! I let the blade eat and didn’t rush it and it came out pretty well. No stalling or binding! What looks to be mild burning in the pic was actually the light shipping oil coming off the blade on the first 1/3 of the cut. Unreal. I am still going to get a 3 tpi blade for resaw work but was surprisingly happy with the stock one.

All in all it seems to be a very nice and well equipped LITTLE saw.

Pros-
Not cheaply made
Fully adjustable bearing guides
Seems to be a downsized real tool, not just a hobby toy.
Dust collection is pretty good
4 5/8” resaw capacity, plenty for small projects

Cons-
Capacity, not a con for my intended use, but if you are looking to make 4’ round kitchen tabletops this isn’t for you
Fence, I’ll tinker with it, but I think a mag fence is in my future.
Mitre gauge is a toy, the slot is tiny too

If I have any issues I’ll update, but it’s certainly seems to be off to a good start. Also I’ll be getting a dewalt 735 in the near future to go with it for leveling out my glue ups

P.s. sorry if my pics don’t rotate to vertical. It keeps putting them back to horizontal

View Lunchmeat79's profile

Lunchmeat79

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#1 posted 11-27-2017 09:25 PM

Good write up and it is likely a nice, small bandsaw.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View mel52's profile

mel52

#2 posted 11-28-2017 03:37 AM

I have had this bandsaw for around 1 1/2 years now and haven’t had any problems with it so far. I have used it for just about everything from cutting up antlers to make whistles to bandsaw boxes. What I have noticed is that when ordering different blades you will probably have to look a little harder since the length is not all that common, but they are available in different tooth combos and thicknesses. I got a couple different blades within a few weeks after getting it and for the life of me can’t recall where. Old age catching up with me I guess !!!!!!!!!!
I also put tape backed weather stripping around the inside of all doors and openings to make it a LOT better on the dust pick-up with my dust collection set-up.

-- MEL, Kansas

View Drevo's profile

Drevo

#3 posted 11-28-2017 06:40 AM

Is it me or does this review read like a cyber monday ad?

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 11-28-2017 01:36 PM

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunate for me), I still hate Craftsman tools after all the years of breakage, returns, etc. My shop has been Craftsman free for a long, long time.

With that, this looks like a fairly decent benchtop saw. Looking it up on Amazon, (it sells for $190 there with free shipping), I found 35 reviews, with 7 of them being one star. To me, that is a 20% failure rate, way too high.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 11-28-2017 05:58 PM

Mel52, several places on the web sell bandsaw blades by the inch, and you can order whatever length blade you want. One is right here:

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#6 posted 11-28-2017 05:59 PM

I have the Rikon version of this saw and like it. One has to realize what it is ….a 1/3 hp bandsaw. It is good for fairly thin wood and I would not resaw on it. I have a 16” bandsaw for resaw and most everything. My 10” Rikon is set up with a Carter Stabilizer. I use it like a larger scroll saw.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#7 posted 11-29-2017 12:56 AM

Is it me or does this review read like a cyber monday ad?

- Drevo

Another 1 post user review… probably spam, unfortunately. I wouldn’t buy craftsman anything these days.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View mel52's profile

mel52

#8 posted 11-29-2017 03:41 AM

Thanks, jimintx. Will look this up as I am needing a couple more different blades.

-- MEL, Kansas

View Andre's profile

Andre

#9 posted 11-29-2017 05:03 PM

- Redoak49

I have the Rikon 10” also and really only thing I dislike is the bearing guide adjustment! I have a 17” General so the 10” has a 1/4” blade for small work and tight curves. How does the Carter Stabilizer work, worth the investment?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#10 posted 11-29-2017 10:51 PM

The Carter Stabilizer works pretty well and I am happy with it. I do a lot of scroll saw work and toys so the small bandsaw is a nice compliment. I picked up the Carter Stabilizer used and was in good shape. A new on is about $80 and worth it if you need to cut tight curves.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#11 posted 11-30-2017 01:30 PM

Here’s my review of this saw and it aint spam. For all you cman haters this happens to be a very good tool. It resaws hardwoods very well. Of course its size limited.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#12 posted 11-30-2017 10:25 PM

I am just amazed at how cynical some members are when a new member chooses a tool review as his first post. My observation has been that membership tenure is unrelated to the credibility of an individual’s opinions. In this case, I find no evidence whatsoever that the original post was spam and some evidence to the contrary. I am happy to see that a second person has confirmed the opinion of a previous poster of the usefulness of this little saw.

View Lunchmeat79's profile

Lunchmeat79

#13 posted 11-30-2017 10:25 PM

I’m kind of surprised by the backlash that my review got. I’m definitely not a spammer. I’ve been working at the full time b a bunch since I posted this so I haven’t had much of a chance to respond. I realize that craftsman power tools aren’t what they in the post WW2 era and are mostly regarded as homeowners, at best, tools these days. And I do agree with alot of the negative talk regarding them being “jobsite ready”, however this saw is pretty solid and is identical to the rikon. The only difference I can find is the door latches on the newer blue model, but they are identical to the older green rikon. I have no reason to belive that they dont come off the same line. Thanks to the advice on a good blade source I’ll look into them. I should have a timberwolf waiting on me in the mailbox when I get home, along with a woodpecker 641! Also, I ran over to menards last night to see if they had 70 1/2” blades. They didn’t have any but they have the rikon model in for Christmas @ $199.99 so if you feel like paying more for the same tool there’s your chance.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#14 posted 12-01-2017 02:31 PM

Lunchmeat go ahead and get some replacemt guide bearings. My oem’s were shielded not sealed and started failing fairly quickly. I ordered 12 sealed brgs and glad I did – a couple of the sealed ones failed. I did order the cheapest I could find, better quality would have lasted longer. Thats the only problem Ive had. With good blades the saw will cut anything and not bog.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#15 posted 12-01-2017 07:14 PM

I have a Rikon/Craftsman 14 inch band saw that I use strictly for curves in addition to a Laguna I use for resaw. I used to use the Craftsman for resaw and it worked about as well as the Laguna, considering it has half the horsepower and will only reswaw 8 inches tall. My one major complaint with it has already been mentioned. The blade guide bearings fail all too frequently. I buy the bearings in tubes of 10 and they are relatively cheap because they are the same as what popular skate boards use.