Supermax new 16-32 sander

Review by Woodmaster1 posted 11-25-2017 06:34 AM 1341 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Supermax new 16-32 sander Supermax new 16-32 sander Supermax new 16-32 sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is an awesome drum sander. The only assembly required was to assemble the stand to put it on. The extension tables are an extra but fold down when not in use. The extensions were easy to attach an adjust to level. I have used it for about three weeks and put it through sanding end grain cutting boards to making .054 bands for boxes. The innovation of adjusting the drum quickly up and down with a lever is fantastic. No more cranking the handle a turn at a time to adjust the height.

View Woodmaster1's profile

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#2 posted 11-25-2017 03:05 PM

I have one as well and agree its a great machine. So far the Intellisand has been great and I haven’t gotten any burning. The quick adjust lever is a great usability addition. The smaller size of the unit was the key for me as it allowed me to find a spot for it in my small, one-garage shop. I would rate the machine 4/5 stars as I feel the following could be improved:
  • I found the folding tables to be a PITA to adjust and one of the bolts broke while attaching it (SuperMax was great about sending me out a replacement though). I’m sure these tables could be much better designed.
  • The DRO can’t be manually adjusted like most of the Wixey ones. I would rather calibrate by using calipers and then dialing in the exact measurement like I can on my Wixed for my planer.
View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#3 posted 11-25-2017 03:24 PM

I have the 19-38 and absolutely love it. I use it all the time.

View Albert's profile

Albert

#4 posted 11-27-2017 02:18 PM

I have sander envy, I dislike my Delta sander hugely.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 11-27-2017 06:00 PM

Having it’s grand daddy, the Performax 16-32, it’s interesting to see the improvements. Looks like a very functional DS!

View Lou319's profile

Lou319

#6 posted 11-28-2017 08:47 PM

It was my early Christmas present to myself and am very pleased with it. After working for a small company making custom furniture, I knew the benefit of having a thickness sander in my home shop to make projects go a lot smoother.

However, I did have a small issue with the conveyor motor having a significant wobble to it right from the beginning. I sent the retailer an email with a video of the problem and Supermax sent me a new conveyor bed and motor immediately. I am happy with that type of customer service and will certainly brag about it.

I agree with Ottacat on the DRO and usually dial in the same way with calipers.

All in all, no regrets in dropping that kind of money on a machine that consistently does what it is supposed to.

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#7 posted 11-29-2017 09:33 PM

I have the earlier iteration. I thought when I got the machine that it would be a luxury and I would use it infrequently. It is now a very important machine, ideal for reducing the thickness of figured wood, when a planer will just not hack it (or actually hacks the hell out of it). I just wish my machine had the benefits of what you have in the latest iteration.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View PRGDesigns's profile

PRGDesigns

#8 posted 12-06-2017 11:38 PM

I just wish everything in my shop was built as well as my Performax / Supermax drum sander and/or everyone’s customer service was as excellent as what you get from Performax / Supermax. My only concern is what will happen with the new owners.

-- They call me Mr. Silly