Best Bang For My Woodworking Buck

Review by MKLowman posted 11-30-2009 02:06 AM 2489 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best Bang For My Woodworking Buck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been working on my basement bar and needed a way to hide a steel column that I bulit my bar around. I decided to try a fluted column. Problem is that the bar is being made of cherry and I never made a fluted column in my life. I researched it, but it seemed to be akin to rocket science. That is until I came across a recent issue of Woodsmith that featured DRL’s fluted column jig.

For $30 bucks I figured it was worth a shot (even better since the owner gave us Woodjocks a $5 discount—taking it down to $25).

I finally got a chance to try it yesterday. The jig required about 5 minutes (pictures in Woodsmith were far better than the website). I made a perfect three flute through-flute sample on a 1×4 on the first go. I was impressed. I tried my hand at a stopped flute next on a mock up made of pine. Spacing was dead on. Barring my momentary lapse of attention, three of my four stopped-flutes came out perfect. What can I say, operator error. Once I had the nack, I made a demo four flute and a demo five flute column mock-up to get a feel of what looked better.

After two test mock-ups, I made four perfect stopped-flute sides of my box column. I’ll have to post a pic once the cherry raised panels are installed on my bar front.

Bottom line: its was the best $25 (plus shipping) I ever spent for a woodworking gadget. While some may complain about not being able to precisely set spacing of flutes, let’s be honest, I was looking for simplicity. I found it.

Thanks DRL!

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 2014 days

#1 posted 11-30-2009 02:32 AM

Thanks for the review.I will need to make alot of fluted columns for one of my next projects and this looks like a good jig.I will be placing an order soon

#2 posted 11-30-2009 02:46 AM

One thing I forgot to mention. DRL’s website shows using a fence that has an extended router table fence with a 90 degree bar attachment, presumably to keep the fence square and to assure straight flutes. I found this to be a bit of belt and suspenders. The jig with a normal fence self-aligned the fence when I used it out of the packaging.

I tried my test pieces to see if I would have to alter my fence or build one for use on the project. I did not.

Get your hands on the recent Woodsmith. The explanation on the jig’s use was dead on.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2092 days

#3 posted 11-30-2009 08:06 AM

I have had one of these jigs for about a month and although I have not used it for any project yet, I have put it through its paces with tests on scrap.
I fully agree with the review, it is very accurate, easy to use and fast.
For the price, it is within the range of most woodworkers budget and although you might not use this jig all the time, it is a desired jig to have when any fluting has to be done.
Well made jig, affordable price, great results, not complicated. If you can afford it, get one.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#4 posted 11-30-2009 07:24 PM

David,

Thanks for the review, this product holds a great deal of interest for me; would you happen to know which issue of Woodsmith Mag this was in? I would like to get that too…

#5 posted 11-30-2009 07:31 PM

Thanks David
A good review. It seems like I watched a video on this jig but I’m a little puzzled how it works.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

853 posts in 1951 days

#6 posted 11-30-2009 08:10 PM

Like a1Jim, I didn’t see how it worked. Googled it and found the website http://drlgroupllc.com/dlocaputo.aspx
where the guy who invented it is. Actually, he has a 2005 set of pictures on how to shop make it. Quite simple, although I had to reread his text couple times before it sunk in.

Steve.

#7 posted 12-01-2009 02:09 PM

Chris,

Its volume 31, No. 185 of Woodsmith.