Jet 10/20 plus drum sander, save your money!

Review by DonCiem posted 11-24-2017 02:30 AM 2602 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet 10/20 plus drum sander, save your money! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I purchased and first used this tool, it was a love affair. I first used it to produce a supply of 1/8” red oak sheets that I used to reface our existing kitchen cabinets. After that was complete I used it for a variety of small projects. (I run a home shop, not a commercial shop, so the projects were varied.) After less than 50 t0 100 hours of use, disaster. The lead threads/lead screw design failed. The lead threads in the the soft aluminum sanding drum cover casting stripped, leaving the drum and motor with no support. I jury rigged it for a while with a captive 9/16 nut, but I was only able to thickness 3/8” stock or greater with this arrangement. I could have purchased a replacement casting (and a new drum end bearing, that failed shortly after) for $130 plus, but one catastrophe was enough, I gave the machine to a general contractor I know, let him worry about repair and a sure, second failure. I’m currently looking for a replacement machine, but no more Jet (or Performaxx) models.

PS Before anyone replies, I kept the lead screw clean and lubricated. I’m an electronics engineer and mathmetician (retired) with experience in machine shops work and consider mechanical and materials engineering a strong third skill (not profession). No competent design engineer would (or should have) produced a design like this.
I’m not sure yet if I can find a reliable replacement, but I would do without before purchasing another machine like this one.

Don C

View DonCiem's profile

DonCiem

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 11-24-2017 03:46 AM

JUNK! I am not a believer in the cantilevered “system”, yet you will find people here who say otherwise. Good review on this, thumbs up!

Maybe this one? http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Baby-Drum-Sander/G0459

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#2 posted 11-24-2017 11:57 AM

That is too bad….

Jet has a 5 year warranty. Since you have so few hours, I might assume that it is still in warranty. Did you contact Jet?

I have been looking at this drum sander but now….

Some may not believe in the cantilevered design but Supermax drum sander works well.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#3 posted 11-25-2017 12:37 AM

I’ve used this sander for 15 yr, and it has served me well. When I decided to buy a bigger one , my choice was a Supermax 19-38. i have had it 3 yrs, and it is a very fine machine.

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#4 posted 11-25-2017 12:59 AM

From the research I had done, the design went downhill when Jet bought out Performax.
I have read that the people from Performax then went on to form Supermax and continually improved on the concept.
If I were to get a cantilever, it would be Supermax. I have read only good things. If you need another sander, you should check them out.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#5 posted 11-25-2017 01:36 AM

I think what we have is a one hit wonder poster. He joined likely to bad mouth the sander. I have read quite a few good reviews about this sander.

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#6 posted 11-25-2017 03:37 AM

I have had one for many years, but hadn’t used it much, until I retired 3 years ago. It’s a bit of a pain to load the paper (but I have a pair of 45º angle needle nose pliers to get in to pull the sandpaper tight). I worked as a mechanic for many years, and my fingers are still too damned big to get in that tiny space. When I designed and built tools, I took that kind of stuff into account. That said, I’ve only used it to sand one board that was more than 10” wide, and I’ll never do it again. Getting that ridge out is a complete pain in the neck. For big projects, I built a giant router sled and then do a final sanding by hand.

-- Random Orbital Nailer

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#7 posted 11-25-2017 06:44 AM

I purchased the new 16-32 supermax drum sander and is great with new features the 19-38 doesn’t have fold down tables and quick adjust drum. I have sanded thin strips to end grain cutting boards with awesome results.

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#8 posted 11-25-2017 04:44 PM

- Redoak49

Even though he may have joined, this isn’t the typical person who comes to badmouth something just because he’s mad and wants to get his point across. He’s actually used this machine extensively. Enough that it wore out at it’s weakest point and that weak point is the crux of the problem. He’s also very plain and simple in relaying what the problem without any animosity as some of those reviewers are

Also, there are many bad reviews of the Jet Performax series sanders. I did a lot of researching in drum sanders a year ago and all signs pointed to getting the Supermax as the Jet machines were not nearly as good.

Eventually, a double drum 25” sander fell in my lap so I didn’t end up going the route I thought I was going but I did a lot of reading on these machines and talked to people at Supermax as well to ask questions.

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

#9 posted 11-27-2017 06:46 PM

I have this same sander and the same thing happened. I have had it for about 6 years and it broke about 3 years in.

I love this sander as it has performed well, but it is made poorly in this regard I would agree.

I made a new coupling using a bolt that fits the screw and welding it to a bracket piece that fits to the carriage. If anyone is interested, I will send you pictures.

-- Chris, "all we are is sawdust in the dust collector""

View Chris Cook's profile

Chris Cook

#10 posted 11-27-2017 06:47 PM

Maybe this one? http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Baby-Drum-Sander/G0459

- Desert_Woodworker

I too looked at teh grizzly recently and read that it has some serious quality issues too. Somebody chime in with experiences

-- Chris, "all we are is sawdust in the dust collector""

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#11 posted 11-30-2017 12:21 AM

I have a Jet 10-20 and a Jet 16-32. I have never had any trouble with either of them (except changing paper!). I use both fairly regularly but I don’t have the run time on mine that the OP is talking. He mentions “thicknessing” with the machine. If I understand what he means by that term, this is a misuse of the machine. Even with 80 grit, I won’t take off more than 0.010 or 0.015 inches each pass (less than 1/4 turn on the crank). It would take forever just to get one rough cut plank smooth at that rate. That is why I own a jointer/planer machine as well. If he ran the conveyor too slow and tried to take off too much at once, the damage he described is what I would expect.

View hineps's profile

hineps

#12 posted 11-30-2017 01:30 PM

I have had the Grizzly Baby for several years. I use it to thin figured wood to 1/8” or less for building dulcimers and fretwork. The only issue was with the conveyor rollers and I believe that was my fault. I was able to replace the parts easily and they weren’t expensive. Other than that it has performed as expected.

Phil