UJK Parf Guide System

Review by Bobmedic posted 11-22-2017 03:16 PM 1002 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
UJK Parf Guide System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The UJK Parf Guide System is an excellent system for creating custom cutting stations and bench tops. (Think Festool MFT.) The system was invented by Peter Parfitt (New Britt Workshop) and in conjunction with Axminster Tools and Machinery this system was brought to market. It is a system that allows you to drill bench dog holes in a perfectly square grid to aid in cutting with a track saw or it even helps with assembly and clamping. I used this system to create a mobile workbench and a custom cutting station and could not be happier with the results and the ease of use. It is available for purchase from Axminster in the UK and Lee Valley in North America. Peter is a regular contributor and member of the FOG (Festool Owners Group) and has always answered any questions I had about this system and he has also commented and help with other Festool questions. I would suggest if you haven’t already, go to his Youtube channel and check it out. He has a lot of great woodworking content.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#1 posted 11-22-2017 09:04 PM

Interesting…. do you have more pictures of how you used it?

#2 posted 11-22-2017 09:09 PM

Interesting…. do you have more pictures of how you used it?

- EarlS

No, but here is a link to the video of the guy that invented it using the system. https://youtu.be/BNzPVEbLxb4

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 11-23-2017 01:34 AM

looks pretty well designed and useful.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1918 posts in 773 days

#4 posted 11-23-2017 02:18 AM

Looks well made, but also an awful lot of “to do” for making a table top for cutting straight lines with a track saw, which can be accomplished on pretty much any surface with a track system. One can also make a jig to perform the same task of making the dig holes, if you feel them to be necessary, out of scraps and two rulers or just one ruler and a t-square. How much does that thing cost? I’m just trying to understand why such a system is useful beyond a good straight edge and ruler.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 11-23-2017 02:21 AM

Bob – thanks for posting the link. Definitely a simple system using some basic geometry that appears to produce an extremely accurate grid.

#6 posted 11-23-2017 03:21 AM

Looks well made, but also an awful lot of “to do” for making a table top for cutting straight lines with a track saw, which can be accomplished on pretty much any surface with a track system. One can also make a jig to perform the same task of making the dig holes, if you feel them to be necessary, out of scraps and two rulers or just one ruler and a t-square. How much does that thing cost? I m just trying to understand why such a system is useful beyond a good straight edge and ruler.

- builtinbkyn

My only advice is to watch the videos from the developer. It has more capabilities than just square cuts.

View kkaucher's profile

kkaucher

#7 posted 11-23-2017 03:52 AM

Bill – it all depends on the amount of accuracy you want in your table layout. As you note, you can certainly make a table for your track system with a ruler and t-square. The Parf system lays out the dog hole starting with the factory edge of the MDF or plywood – whatever you prefer. It builds a very accurate grid that, by its design, is not subject to the errors introduced by laying out with pencil marks and measuring instruments that ride on the surface. For those who want the best and prefer to build their 20mm systems (sorry, it’s metric only), the Parf guide is the instrument of choice and, incidentally, its layout supports the 93mm system specifications for European cabinet hinges.

Woodpeckers recently introduced a system that will create either 20mm or 3/4” dog holes, theirs is based upon a clamped-on plate to guide the drill position. I’d like to see a head-to-head comparison of the two systems. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Parf system would come out on top.

Karl

-- A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown

View charlton's profile

charlton

#8 posted 11-23-2017 06:27 AM

Woodpeckers recently introduced a system that will create either 20mm or 3/4” dog holes, theirs is based upon a clamped-on plate to guide the drill position. I d like to see a head-to-head comparison of the two systems. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Parf system would come out on top.

- kkaucher

I was tempted to get the Woodpecker jig but it’s just too much money after shipping to Canada. Instead, I’m having a friend with a CNC cut me a similar jig out of a cutting board. That being said, I prefer the Woodpecker jig to the Parf and actually feel the opposite to you. I think the Woodpecker jig would come out on top and sourcing good 1/2” bits seems like it’s far easier than the expensive 20mm Forstner bits.

#9 posted 11-23-2017 11:48 AM

- kkaucher

I was tempted to get the Woodpecker jig but it s just too much money after shipping to Canada. Instead, I m having a friend with a CNC cut me a similar jig out of a cutting board. That being said, I prefer the Woodpecker jig to the Parf and actually feel the opposite to you. I think the Woodpecker jig would come out on top and sourcing good 1/2” bits seems like it s far easier than the expensive 20mm Forstner bits.

- charlton

The nice thing about this system is you don’t have to source the Forstner bit because it comes with it. A good solid carbide spiral uncut bit is just as expensive and you don’t get the depth of cut. Someone mentioned earlier that this system references a factory edge and that it’s on a 93 mm grid. Those are both inaccurate. You are not limited to referencing from any edge. You can start the pattern anywhere you want and square the sheet off after. Also it’s on a 96 mm grid which is 3 units of 32 mm that most European cabinets are set up with. I looked at both, the Woodpecker OTT and the Parf guide System when purchasing and I found the latter to be more suitable for my needs. My intention for posting this review was not to persuade anyone into buying it. It was meant to let people know what I felt about it if anyone else was considering buying one. As another poster had asked if you couldn’t just do the same thing with a T square and a straight edge. Yes and no. You can produce a grid of holes for sure, but they won’t be nearly as accurate as this system. But hey, if someone is happy with that arrangement then go for it. If a person can’t immediately see the benefit in something like this then they most likely don’t need one. I like the ability to put in a couple of bench dogs and know that my cuts will be perfectly square or at various angles. Because by placing the dogs in different holes you can get accurate angles too based on rise/run. The cost of a replacement MFT top alone will almost pay for this system. Another application would be making something like the Stanton Workbench (Search it on YouTube)

View charlton's profile

charlton

#10 posted 11-23-2017 08:53 PM

- Bobmedic

I’m just thinking more down the road if and when the 20mm bit gets dull. Based on my metalworking experience, good half-inch router bits are far more easier to source economically than 20mm bits but then I live in Canada. Anyway, I considered the Parf, was set on buying it, saw the Woodpecker offer and then was set on getting it instead. In the end I didn’t get anything. :( For my immediate need, I’ll have my friend CNC a top for me but I don’t want to rely on his goodwill forever. :)

Thanks for the post!

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

1918 posts in 773 days

#11 posted 11-26-2017 04:03 PM

Bill – it all depends on the amount of accuracy you want in your table layout. As you note, you can certainly make a table for your track system with a ruler and t-square. The Parf system lays out the dog hole starting with the factory edge of the MDF or plywood – whatever you prefer. It builds a very accurate grid that, by its design, is not subject to the errors introduced by laying out with pencil marks and measuring instruments that ride on the surface. For those who want the best and prefer to build their 20mm systems (sorry, it s metric only), the Parf guide is the instrument of choice and, incidentally, its layout supports the 93mm system specifications for European cabinet hinges.

- kkaucher

Karl I don’t question it’s accuracy or the quality of the materials. However much of the work performed in a shop requires the same accuracy and can be achieved with the tools we already posses. The Parf system is basically a story stick or jig for drilling holes. I don’t see why one cannot fabricate the same from some strips of hardwood or even from a pair of inexpensive aluminum rulers which are already marked for scale. Required tools for doing so would be a drill press with a fence and a ruler, if using wood strips. The inexpensive aluminum rules are pre-marked and would only require drilling. The same would go for the jig needed to bore the dog holes. Not much to it other than accurately laying out and drilling the initial holes on a piece of aluminum bar or some stable hardwood.

$200 for what amounts to a template that can easily be made in the shop seems rather high and there’s nothing proprietary about it. I would think anyone with reasonable skills in measuring and layout could achieve the same accuracy by making their own. Now if an off the shelf product saves time from having to do the above, well time is money and I can understand the market for it for some.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn & Steel City :)