A Budget Sliding Miter Saw

Review by Huckleberry posted 1696 days ago 14880 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Budget Sliding Miter Saw A Budget Sliding Miter Saw A Budget Sliding Miter Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

For those of you crazy enough to go out yesterday for the “black Friday” overly rated shopping day, I still call you all crazy to subject yourself to that madness. I did have to venture out into that world as I needed some supplies from one of our home supply centers. In the store it was absolute craziness but I had to be there and I stumbled upon a sliding miter saw for a whopping $79.00. Never heard of the brand and a lot of the things i do are too big for my old 8 1/2” chop saw so I figured that I would give it a shot and review it for you all in the process. That and since my Kapex is on hold for a little while I figured it wasn’t going to be that big of a waste of money. So here it is in its entirety and unedited for your enjoyment.

First this is what they call a blade??? Wow it is really terrible but most stock blades are. Changing the blade is cumbersome, first take this bolt out and then this screw and rotate the guard. Hold this in and loosen the bolt. Install my new $60 cross cutting blade (60 Tooth) and put everything back together and now there is a decent cut.

Packaging: 3 stars
Quality of tool: 2 stars
Safety: No safety button before engaging trigger 1 star
Fence: 2 stars
Accuracy: 4 stars
Over all: 2.75 stars

Ok you get what you pay for. Overall the saw is just ok, no frills just ordinary. What makes it tolerable was the price and add to it a new blade my total cost of the saw was about $140. It cuts square and true but the quality even with the new blade still leaves a little to be desired. It will be a nice little backup saw once I get my Festool. I hope that this review helps any who has thought about buying this never heard of before brand.

-- Something that goes unnoticed will never be remembered.

View Huckleberry's profile

Huckleberry

Harbor freight had a 10” blade 12” cut sliding saw for 119.00 on Black Friday. The latest issue of Wood Magazine had the saw in the HF ad until March for the same price and they have a 20% off coupon also.

What is the hook angle of the blade that you have pictured here…..it doesn’t appear to be a blade that belongs on a miter slider and could be the reason for your poor cut quality. Just because you paid $60 for a blade , does not make it the correct blade for the saw. Is this a picture of a chopped cut or a sliding cut ?
You can get a really nice Freud blade for far less than $60 that will be correct for your homeowner M/S.

The WEN brand name has been around for a long time .I bought an engraving tool from them way back when… I think I was around 18 years old. Many , many moons ago.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. As for Festool, it is very expensive but they are magnificent tools. If you can see affording one in your future thats great but I wouldn’t take that plunge unless you know you are going to use it a lot, if woodworking was just a hobby, I couldn’t see myself being able to shell out that kind of cash for a miter saw, my Bosch miter saw that I paid about $360 for works like a charm. Thanks for the review.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

I also have a Bosch miter saw with a 12” Freud blade on it…..suits my needs just fine : ) It replaced an old Delta 10” saw that I now use for “rough” work. The Bosch is definetly a fine finish saw .I could never justify owning a Festool product unless I was using it to make a living with.

View Huckleberry's profile

Huckleberry

Hey Dusty the original blade was just a POS. I put a Freud on it and it took the cut quality up quite a bit and if I use sacrificial fences then the quality gets really good and the tear out is minimal. I too am a firm believer in the get what you pay for realm, but the next few months is really going to test this saw as it is going to be used in a production run. With that I will report back as to how it holds up and any issues that arise from it.

-- Something that goes unnoticed will never be remembered.

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

When you buy a Freud blade (or any other mfg) for miter saw use be sure it is rated for miter saw use and has an excellent rating for cross cutting. Makes a difference. Most miter saw blades have a negative hook. I use thin kerf blades on my miter saws.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View papadan's profile (online now)

papadan

1111 posts in 1963 days

Ive got a HF 10” slider that I bought 8 year ago for $99. Not the quality for making picture frames, but for framing, deck building and such, it has been fantastic. My son did use it for the crown he put in his house, but he doesn’t mind caulking the miters, LOL

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View Moose48220's profile

Moose48220

Has anyone looked at the Wen say side by side with the HF saw? Its the exact same saw! different colors diferent stickers same saw!.

View Moose48220's profile

Moose48220

Ok I actually went out and bought this Wen saw at menards for 119 and I must say that it is not bad at all. There are a few things though that need to be adressed specifically. 1.) The fence is not straight from end to end. I had to fix a 1/8” shim on the left side of the blade to square it up. no big deal. 2.) One side cuts a perfect 45 while if you flip it to the other its more like 43. Im not sure how i will remedy this one. For now cuts needed from this end will be made on my RAS. 3.) the lack of a safety is kinda scary. grabbed the trigger by mistake while moving a work piece and without the blade guard i would be a little shorter in the finger department right now. All in all, good saw for the price just needs some fine tuning.