My Review! DEWALT DWE6401DS 5-Inch VS Disc Sander with Dust Shroud

Review by richardchaos posted 11-18-2017 06:21 PM 842 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 My Review! DEWALT DWE6401DS 5-Inch VS Disc Sander with Dust Shroud  My Review! DEWALT DWE6401DS 5-Inch VS Disc Sander with Dust Shroud  My Review! DEWALT DWE6401DS 5-Inch VS Disc Sander with Dust Shroud Click the pictures to enlarge them

last week I got my DEWALT DWE6401DS 5-Inch VS Disc Sander with Dust Shroud I ordered via Amazon as it was $25 cheaper that Lowes.

It came as you see even with a wrench (Not pictured) to change out padded head.

Keep in mind I have been using an very old DeWalt drill with a Plastic Sanding disk attachment for the last few years.

I would regularly set up my desalt drill with sanding disc crush it in my vise and use it as a poor mans Stationary Disk Sander…

If any of you have seen my CROSS-HEARTS this is what I wanted this for.

I will say there is no comparison between this sander and what I had been using. What was a very nice surprise is that one may put this sanders sanding disk flat on a surface and sand away even with one hand is It will not grab and fly away like I was use to.

It is Variable speed AND after you LOCK IT DOWN to run without having to depress your finger on the trigger you can adjust the SPEED while that is engaged.

It came with a collector shroud which i don’t like to use.

AS you can see I quickly made a mount for it in my vise using the BOLT HOLE one uses to attach the front handle to secure it to the wood mount.

My only complaint is that its a little under powered and does not have a reverse.

I give this tool 4 rants up! LOL!

-- “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

#1 posted 11-22-2017 04:54 PM

I have two DeWalt sanders and they are the bomb. Both of them are awesome!

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

#2 posted 11-24-2017 01:46 AM

One thing i don’t like is when using it off and on, you have to wait a few seconds for it to stop before you set it down. Gunna make like a fitting so you can set it down with the pad still spinning…... I love this thing… world better than a pad on the end of a drill!

I have two DeWalt sanders and they are the bomb. Both of them are awesome!

- jeffswildwood

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

#3 posted 11-24-2017 02:48 AM

I use mine a lot. My Dewalt sanders are awesome.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

#4 posted 11-24-2017 01:27 PM

One thing i don’t like about it is as far as I know you have to use 5-8 hole velcro sand disc paper. I don’t really care a whit about dust collection so I don’t need these holes. Was sharpening a little metal part the other day on it and it caught one of the holes and tossed mt part across the room and ripped the paper. I have a large collection of PVA 5 inch sanding paper discs trying to figure out how to use them on my deWalt sander.

I am already in love with how you can mount it so you can use it as spoor mans disc sander and while the stay running hand free thing is engaged you can adjust the speed while its running

I use mine a lot. My Dewalt sanders are awesome.

- Monte Pittman