Ridge Carbide Tool TS2000 24T 10" Rip "Super Blade" Full Kerf

Review by crb posted 11-17-2017 12:48 AM 2306 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridge Carbide Tool TS2000 24T 10" Rip "Super Blade" Full Kerf Ridge Carbide Tool TS2000 24T 10" Rip "Super Blade" Full Kerf Ridge Carbide Tool TS2000 24T 10" Rip "Super Blade" Full Kerf Click the pictures to enlarge them

Purchased this blade from Holbren a few weeks ago to use during workbench top construction, but found few reviews that didn’t sound like shills so I thought I’d post this. This works like I would expect a $90 rip blade to work.

I ripped a a few hundred feet of SYP 2×4 with this blade, jointing 2 sides, squaring up the third with this blade down to 3” width, and then doing a 3” tall rip down the lumber. I did this so I could get the same thickness out of all the boards in one tablesaw pass instead of multiple planer passes. I used a 3HP SawStop with a featherboard near the feed side of the blade and had no bogging down. No burning on the short cuts, but had a few burns on the 3” passes (out of 25 8’ boards) that were probably my fault for pausing to during feed. My combination SawStop Titanium would not have been up to this task – I was having burn issues ripping 1.5” stock so I sent it out for sharpening while I use this. The surface produced left a few swirls less than 1/32” deep as shown in picture. Nothing a couple passes with the orbital sander couldn’t take care of with medium grit paper. I would not call this glue ready – not that it was advertised this way. I did not want to get the Freud Glue Line Rip as it had a height limitation and I knew I wanted to push the rip height for this project. The Freud blade also didn’t have a flat top grind, which I wanted in case I needed to make any 1/8” grooves in the future. My decision was basically this blade or the Forrest which cost a bit more.

Ridge Carbide claims 25 sharpenings with this and I tend to believe it if you look at the teeth on this thing. I took a close up picture of the impressive teeth for this review.

SawStop users: The blade installed fine into the SawStop with no cartridge adjustments necessary. It was the same diameter as the SawStop Titanium Blade. I did get a couple blade not spinning error codes (with blade clearly spinning) but those cleared up on the third try and I didn’t have any other problems. Not sure if there was oil on the blade or I knocked some dust onto a sensor inside the cabinet.

-- Tighten it until it breaks, then back off a quarter turn!

View crb's profile

crb

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#1 posted 11-17-2017 01:19 PM

Have had my Ridge Carbide blade for nine years. Have sent it in twice to be re-sharpened. Came back good as new. Purchased at one of the Wood Working Shows, when there were Wood Working Shows. My go to blade when ripping.

#2 posted 11-17-2017 08:21 PM

Mmm Holbren. They have good stuff.

Thanks for the review. I have been using Freud and Infinity blades with good luck, but I would consider Ridge Carbide in the future.

View paul1474's profile

paul1474

#3 posted 11-19-2017 12:55 AM

I switched from Woodworker II to Ridge and think Ridge is the better blade

View richardchaos's profile

richardchaos

#4 posted 11-21-2017 12:55 PM

It looks like the teeth will give you a SMOOTH FLAT bottom on the cute? Is that true. I cant find another blade that will do that.

-- β€œIn a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell

View crb's profile

crb

#5 posted 11-22-2017 12:32 PM

Yes, the blade has a flat top grind and should give a smooth bottom. I haven’t tried that yet to confirm. If I get time soon I can test and post some images. The FTG was one of several reasons I chose this blade instead of the glue line rip from Freud.

-- Tighten it until it breaks, then back off a quarter turn!