Many disappointments with this router

Review by MagicalMichael posted 11-15-2017 01:00 AM 1325 views 0 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Many disappointments with this router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I already owned a Festool drill, joiner, sander and dust collector before I bought the router, so I was certainly prepared to really like it. So far it has been a series of disappointments. First, when I opened the box many parts had popped loose and were scattered about. I saw a picture of the edge guide but no edge guide in the box. The last two routers I have purchased – Ryobi & Triton- both came with edge and circle guides so I was surprised and dismayed to see that a $570 router did not. The set up instructions, especially around the depth adjustment were rather brief and confusing. They don’t relate at all to edge routing with pilot bits, which is what I wanted to do first. I found I couldn’t set the depth and then turn the three posts. The adjustment screws called for a very small screw driver which did not provide enough torque to turn them down. I bought the router primarily for it’s dust collection claims because I had to use a half round bit on four 6’+ boards and and ogee on six 7’ boards. After I got the bit mounted I discovered that the dust collector was limited to bits less than 28mm, while I wanted to use a 35mm half round. Next I learned that in order to take the under base shield off I had to hold down two buttons on opposite sides of the router while trying to pry off the part. Eventually I just picked up the router and shook the shroud off onto my bench. Not very elegant . Oh yes, along the way I discovered that Festool had made a very small modification to its proprietary plug so that the cords which came with two other tools will not work with this one, and of course vice versa. I may yet learn to appreciate this router but right now I am very disappointed. It’s reminding me alot about everything I don’t like about my Apple products.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 11-15-2017 01:38 AM

That’s a serious bummer.

I think most brands are best known for specific items that they brought to market and perfected well ahead of the “me too” competition. But once they gain brand recognition, they feel obligated to capitalize on their name and make one of everything else, and sometimes these items wind up mediocre.

I’d love to have a Festool sander, track saw or domino, but don’t think I’d look to them for a cordless drill, router or miter saw.

Hope you can warm up to the router and get some productive work done with it.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#2 posted 11-15-2017 01:46 AM

Festool has a money back program send it back?

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#3 posted 11-15-2017 03:19 AM

Unfortunately Festool’s instruction manuals are notoriously bad. They offer supplementary manuals for many of their tools via festoolusa.com, but I don’t see one for the OF1400. If you look up the YouTube channel for HalfInchShy, there are very detailed demonstrations on advanced usage for many Festool tools.

Not sure where you saw the picture that suggested the edge guide was included, but the Festool website is very clear what’s included.

With regards to the plug, the heavier-duty cord is usable for all of their tools, so just leave that one connected to your dust extractor and never have to worry about it again.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#4 posted 11-15-2017 12:06 PM

So…...you were very disappointed with it and gave it 3.5 stars. I am confus

#5 posted 11-15-2017 12:30 PM

I gave it 3 stars. It is well balanced, powerful, and ergonomic. The plug is not compatible. The plugs for the sander and joiner have an indent on one side and a small protrusion on the other. The plug for the saw lacks the protrusion. I always leave one cord attached to the dust collector and was surprised to find it would not mate with the router. I then tested the new plug with the older tool & could not get that to work either.

Thanks for the tip about the return program; I’ll look into it. I may have been careless and missed the omission of the edge guide, but not about the 28 mm dust port limitation. It isn’t in the advertising and it didn’t come up in half a dozen YouTube reviews.

I will probably get a table (Kreg?, Woodpecker?, Triton?) and mount my Triton router to it. That should cover the rare occasions I use a bit larger than 28 mm. I will also work to completely extract the three posts, grease them and see if I can reposition them in a more useable pattern.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Michael

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#6 posted 11-15-2017 06:48 PM

Most times I’ve been dissapointed with a tool, it was due to MY expectations. Expectations and assumptions. I assumed things that existed only in my mind. When I bought a tool without expecting much of it, I was positively impressed.
Problem is when you pay 3 times the price of an avarage router, it’s hard not to have expectations.
I also have a question: how do you use this router in a router table?

#7 posted 11-15-2017 08:58 PM

As best I can tell this router can only be used in a festool router table, which of course costs about 2.5X what most do. It looks like a great table and has quick clamps to connect. However given the limitations of the dust shroud you would probably want to go with the 2200 at an even higher price. I have the Triton 2 1/2 HP power router and will probably mount that into a table. I think their dust collection, which is mediocre in a hand held operation, should be pretty good in a table set up. BTW, I hate the switch on my Triton, but that’s probably another review.
Michael

View REL's profile

REL

#8 posted 11-16-2017 12:14 AM

It’s the cost of Festool that get to us. I agree some of their tools are worth it. Domino (original) is great. I would think the bigger Domino is also great. My Midi vacuum/dust collector is good. I’m not so sure about the track saw I own. I prefer and use my SawStop more often.

I agree with some of you guys above. You don’t always get what you pay extra for. I’m very happy with my Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Rigid Delta, and Porter Cable drills, routers, biscuit cutter, sanders, hand electric planer and shop dust collector. Heck, I have 3 router kits with plunge attachments and others accessories for less than the cost of a single Festool router!!!

I also own a German (Austrian made) Hammer combo jointer/planer with a Bryd spiral head. Am not so sure it was worth the cost with extras of over $4,200.00. There seems to be a plethora of combo jointer/planers available from the Far East at about half the price. Grizzly comes to mind. The bandsaw I own from Grizzly has been well worth its fair cost .

-- REL, North Jersey

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#9 posted 11-16-2017 01:05 AM

Festool has a money back program send it back?

- rustynails

+1 (only on the tool not the accessories)

-- Desert_Woodworker

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#10 posted 11-16-2017 04:44 AM

I do not understand why people buy Festool to start with the router you bought has a fixed selling price of

$570 for one router

Or for $530 someone could have
1. Triton 3-1/4 HP Dual-Mode Plunge Router $280
2. Dewalt DW618PK Heavy-Duty 2-1/4 HP maximum motor HP EVS Fixed Base/Plunge Router Combo Kit w/Soft Start $250

prices at rocker but you probably should shop around and get a better deal something Festool does not allow and why I do not buy Festool it is like the communist tool company with the price fixing

So that is 2 birds with one stone someone would have a great router for the table and a router for free hand stuff with fixed and plunge base

And Yes I do own both routers used them for year now and they are wonderful

I do love the color green but it is not worth the price so I like to keep it mostly in my pocket

#11 posted 11-16-2017 11:51 AM

I have sinus issues that make me highly sensitive to wood dust. I first bought a festool domino joiner to simplify construction and the dust collector for obvious reasons. I was amazed at how efficient the combination was at virtually eliminating dust, compared to my previous method of routing mortises. Then I bought the three inch sander and found it equally effective. MY PC sander does a good job and not too bad when fitted with a hole patterned base and the festool collector.

Until recently my router was a 25 year old Ryobi, which amongst other issues threw dust all over my shop. I resisted even using it and even disassembled my abandoned, home made router table. So, after much study I bought the 2 1/2 hp Triton, which gets pretty good reviews and can be gotten for about $220. I found it better than the Ryobi but less than I expected and need. Looking at he design I guessed it would do much better in a table and plan to put it there when the budget allows. So I bit the bullet and laid out the big bucks for the festool. I’m still hoping that over time I can overcome most of the original disappointments, except the bit size limitation. It’s perhaps unfortunate that the first thing I wanted to do with this router router was half round 25 feet of edge. I did the job, cleaned the shop and left it.

Michael

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#12 posted 11-16-2017 05:24 PM

Whenever I buy a new tool, if it has been discounted, that sends a message to me saying; “this tool competes with other like tools because our tool is not the clear cut best tool on the market”. With Festool, the snobbery factor is a big plus. It sets apart the professional and the average Joe woodworker. It’s like saying “I drive a Mercedes”.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#13 posted 11-16-2017 06:22 PM

I personally have never seen the overall value for the price in Festool.
I have about 7-8 routers bouncing around in my shop, everything from a $44 dollar HF that has been in a Bosch router table for years, to my go-to Bosch hog, which I used to chamber out somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 guitar bodies, (and wore out about a dozen carbide straight bits in the process), not to mention the dozens if not hundreds of other projects where I needed it. I think I paid around $215 for it. Still running, although it does need to be taken apart and cleaned.

And as far as dust sensitivity, I am getting there, so now when I use a router, or my larger sanders, I simply put on one of those Gerson P95 throwaway respirators from Harbor Freight. At $16.99 without a 20% coupon, I simply toss it about every six months or so. Cheaper than replacing filters and no worries about straps wearing out, rubber getting hard, etc.

Sorry, I can’t justify paying what would be over $600 in my state, including tax, for a router.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#14 posted 11-16-2017 10:23 PM

For those who need more understanding on Festool and the type of woodworker that uses them, let me suggest this video by Stumpy Nubs

-- Desert_Woodworker

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#15 posted 11-17-2017 02:06 AM

Whenever I buy a new tool, if it has been discounted, that sends a message to me saying; “this tool competes with other like tools because our tool is not the clear cut best tool on the market”. With Festool, the snobbery factor is a big plus. It sets apart the professional and the average Joe woodworker. It s like saying “I drive a Mercedes”.

- MrRon