As advertised

Review by USCJeff posted 1707 days ago 3458 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
As advertised No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m not the type of woodworker with a lot of discretionary income to throw at every cool tool that hits the shelves. However, I am the type that might spend a little more for simplicity and ease of use to maximize the limited time I actual have to play in the shop. I was in Kentucky last weekend for a funeral (Grandpa – 83 years, struggled with Parkinson’s, comforted now that he free of illness, but is missed!) and passed a Woodcraft store. My Dad and I dropped in so I could pick out a BDay present. Torn between a LN #4 plane and this tool, I opted for the Turning tool as that’s what I’m doing currently in the shop.

I had used the Ci1 Rougher for about a minute at my local dealer in South Carolina and was impressed how fast it hogged off stock. After talking with an employee doing a demo, he advised to get the Ci0 if only getting one as it is more versatile. It doesn’t take the stock off quite as fast as the Ci1, but it is much faster than the Ben Best tools I use. It’s about twice the length of a standard lathe tool. Very Comfortable feel to it.

As far as use, the set up couldn’t be simpler. The rest is set so that the cutting disc is centered to the stock. The tool itself is held parallel to the floor. I was stripping some spindles from a rocking chair I’m restoring and it removed the old finish as well as left it smooth with little time and effort. I haven’t tested it on a true bowl, but did play with it as far as smoothing a contour after hollowing and it cut smoothly in both directions.

The disk can be rotated as it dulls by using a wrench. I can’t speak in regards to how long it will remain sharp yet. Only been in use a week.

The downside . . . cost. It runs over $140. Considering the advertised longevity and replaceable cutter, I see it as a one time purchase that will last longet than I do if taken care of. Replacement cutters were in the $10-$15 ballpark if I remember right.

Still want the LN #4 plane, but no regrets with this purchase. On a side note, the guy doing the demo had stripped his handled and dyed it KY Blue, Go Cats!

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Nice present Jeff. Looking forward to seeing some work and perhaps a demo video.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

Thanks for the review, Jeff. I will put one of these on my list when I get a lathe.

I ams sure it was a tough choice between this and the #4 but Christmas is coming up and Santa won’t need a lift gate to offload the #4. I don’t think that LN makes it in Kentucky blue though. :)

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

Thanks for the review, I have been looking at them but haven’t made the jump. Looking forward to seeing some of your work after using this.

‘The SedcoKid’

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

112001 posts in 2181 days

Thanks for the Review. I’m sorry for your loss but hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 1999 days

Thank You for the review fellow Jeff I have been wanting one a while now… got my 10% Woodcraft birthday gift card and I just might get it.

-- Cosmicturner

View Padre's profile

Padre

930 posts in 2093 days

I have the Ci1 and the Ci0, and they are both outstanding! The EasyRougher takes off wood, both green and dry, like there is no tomorrow. The Ci0 finisher allows me to stay at the lathe a lot longer without having to go run to the sharpener. And, it also does a good job imitating a bowl scraper from time to time. :)

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

For anyone interested in this tool, a video demo is available here – -http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Easy_Rougher___easy_rougher_ci1?Args=

I will attest that this tool works as well as illustrated in the video. What the video fails to show is how smooth of a finish it can leave. If you are working on a flat surface you use this tool like a scraper and leave a finish that you will start sanding with a 220 grit.

It’s a great tool – - but I don’t understand why it cost so much.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

The cost is high but it will last. The part that annoyed me more was that the design of the smoother and rougher were made so that you have to buy both vs simply changing the cutter between the two. It would have been very simple for them to use the same size allen screw for both. At the same time, I understand that hurts their bottom line. I’m too nervous to attempt to modifiy mine to do both, it is rather expensive.

-- Jeff, South Carolina