Great saw. The Grizzly G0690

Review by MoreWoodPlease posted 11-26-2009 03:47 PM 7668 views 2 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great saw. The Grizzly G0690 Great saw. The Grizzly G0690 Great saw. The Grizzly G0690 Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a great saw. $1250.00 no shipping, no tax. 3hp, riving knife, left tilt, bessimeyer style fence, solid construction, three belt, 240v. In the pic, I used some weather stripping to seal the motor door, better dust extraction, also seal the lower pan in the cabinet. I ordered the Heavy Duty Shop Fox base by mistake. The base is too big for this saw, so I cut 2 1/4 from the long rails of the base with a recip saw and a metal cutting blade. The result is a much heftier base than the one recommended for this saw in the catalog. 1hp mobile dust collector is more than enough for this one tool. For the price, you can’t beat a new saw, with the best customer service in the industry.

View khop's profile

khop

#1 posted 11-26-2009 04:08 PM

Morewood, Nice saw. I believe in Grizzly too. I noticed you live in Long Island. How was the delivery with the saw and the set up? Congrats
KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

#2 posted 11-26-2009 04:26 PM

Elected to pick up the saw at the UPS hub. Rented a Uhaul, they used a forklift to get the main box in the truck. It came in three boxes, two small and the main cabinet. The main cabinet came mounted on a small wood pallet. The Uhaul has a low rear deck, I put together a makeshift ramp, then backed the truck to my garage. After de-boxing the cabinet, I left it bolted to the pallet, but removed the cast table,(very heavy), then rocked the cabinet down the ramp, and into the garage. I then assembled the Shop Fox base, the heavy duty one (G7315) around the base of the cabinet. That is of course after cutting the long rails of the base to get a nice snug fit. I did it by myself, it can be done. Setup was 4 hours. I took my time. The instructions are straightforward, and I had no problems. The miter gauge came with a broken index knob, but Grizzly sent a replacement knob the same day. No other damage during shipping, and the boxes were in untouched shape. In hindsight, I think I should have got the lift gate, to the curb option, ($35.00), and pre-built a simple wood base,(2×6’s), with wheels mounted to the bottom, and had the delivery person lower the cabinet/pallet onto it. The Uhaul was nice because I got the saw a day sooner, I worked at my own pace, and I controlled the final leg of delivery,but it cost $117.00. Shipping from the Grizzly warehouse to the hub on Long Island was one day after I placed the order online. Super fast. I do love this saw, and find myself turning it on just to hear it hum. It passed the nickle test, even in the mobile base, and once tweaked, cut 4/4 hard maple without burning like it was warm butter. Any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Good luck!

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#3 posted 11-26-2009 04:32 PM

I was going to buy this exact saw until I fell over a fantastic Craigslist deal on a like new ‘01 Unisaw. Good luck with it..I know you will love it…so many guys on here have one and love theirs!

P.S. Since I got my Unisaw…I find myself doing the same thing…turning it on just to hear it run! It sounds so much more powerful than my old BOSCH contractors saw!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View tjbier's profile

tjbier

#4 posted 11-26-2009 05:05 PM

WOW, very envious!! Congrats!

-- Tom.

View KevinVan's profile

KevinVan

#5 posted 11-26-2009 06:50 PM

Thanks Morewood for sharing the details of this saw and mobile base. You saved me at least $100.
I’m going to get the same base.

Is it as beautiful in person as it is in the pictures? How do you like the fence?

I have my finger on the trigger.

Edit: What product did you you to remove the grease?

Thanks

-- ALS IK KAN “to the best of my ability,”

#6 posted 11-26-2009 07:27 PM

It is a nice looking tool. It is bigger in person. The fence is quite heavy, and I like that the rear rides on the rear rail, not the table. I used Grizzly’s orange stuff in a spray can. Sorry, that’s not very helpfull.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1921 days

#7 posted 11-26-2009 07:53 PM

You will love that saw…..I’ve got the G0691 (same saw with longer rails) and it is awesome….only required a bit of tuning….was almost perfect out of the box…..I put a Forest WW II on it and it cuts like a hot knife through butter….Only saw I would have bought instead would have been the new sawstop (but it was not out yet).

The Orange stuff works the best on the shipping protectorant – After cleaning be sure to put on a good protectorant….Boeshild or Top Kote…I use Top Kote as I got a free trial of it…(it works okay so far)

Great review….

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#8 posted 11-26-2009 09:55 PM

Looks like a great saw. Riving knife and Leeson motor. You can’t go wrong. That saw has about 4 more inchs of table top width than my older 1023 right tilt. Man are you gonna have some fun.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#9 posted 11-27-2009 05:02 AM

That is a great looking saw!!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

112070 posts in 2228 days

#10 posted 11-27-2009 06:55 AM

Great review

View KevinVan's profile

KevinVan

#11 posted 11-28-2009 12:51 AM

I ordered mine today!!

My buddy came over and helped me run the electrical.

I’m ready to rock!!

Just need this cast off my arm now….sigh….

-- ALS IK KAN “to the best of my ability,”

View Schummie's profile

Schummie

#12 posted 11-28-2009 02:58 AM

I love him to, he has only a other name.

-- Greetings from the Netherlands.

View WoodSparky's profile

WoodSparky

#13 posted 11-28-2009 05:50 AM

My son and I had taken a 4hr road trip to Grizzly’s location in Muncy PA to pick up a new 10” 3hp right tilt table saw. We timed the trip with their semi-annual scatch and dent sale. I now know where all their returns end up at. It would have been cheaper to have them ship it to me, but the trip was fun. If you ever have a chance, go there, the place is huge.
I too had bought that orange stuff. It was enough to clean the 1st tool, but not quite enough for a 2nd. I ran around the shop looking for something to finish the job, came across a can of Bug & Tar remover. Worked great, and is probably cheaper. My only regret is that the motor cover kills most of the possible storage area under the saw.

-- So Many tools, So little time

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5076 posts in 1959 days

#14 posted 11-28-2009 05:58 PM

Great saw choice! I know you will enjoy it complletely…
I have had a grizzly cabinet saw for over 3 years now and I am very satisfied with it. I keep the top waxed (along with all my other tools) and this provides excellent protection as wellas keeping the wood sliding smoothly.

View csifishguy's profile

csifishguy

#15 posted 12-10-2009 05:25 AM

very nice saw. I have a question for you how does that dust collector work for you that is the one that I have been looking at.

Thanks